Camping togs for men Guardian Style

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
mattheus

Re: Camping togs for men Guardian Style

Post by mattheus »

pete75 wrote:
Carlton green wrote:Well, if that’s the type of person that the Guardian feels are its readers then my views on the Guardian are confirmed. Sad really, but (IMHO) it does confirm the stereotype of folk with more money than sense with little idea of what ordinary people actually do.

They're taking the pith in the Guardian article - why do you think they chose that Charles Hawtrey looking guy to model the stuff? Now if it was in the Telegraph they'd probably be serious.

It's quite an odd article. I mean it's clearly TOO over the top to be serious … and yet I don't get the "joke". They've spent a lot of money on that shoot (even assuming the clothes were gratis). I suspect it's some 3rd-level meta fashion satire thing that I will never understand. Or perhaps it's a Guardian running gag.

Anyway, it did lead me to this page of great pics (including one from this weekend's national CX champs):
https://www.theguardian.com/news/galler ... est-photos

(I don't THINK there is any satire there … )
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pete75 wrote:
Carlton green wrote:Well, if that’s the type of person that the Guardian feels are its readers then my views on the Guardian are confirmed. Sad really, but (IMHO) it does confirm the stereotype of folk with more money than sense with little idea of what ordinary people actually do.

They're taking the pith in the Guardian article - why do you think they chose that Charles Hawtrey looking guy to model the stuff? Now if it was in the Telegraph they'd probably be serious.

What's your definition of "ordinary people" and what do they actually do?

I said as much but the clothes and prices are for real?

whats the connection between the Observer and the Guardian? as it is really an Observer article?
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

pjclinch wrote:
Carlton green wrote:enjoy that paper if you wish but it’s not one that I’d feel accurately and impartially informed by.

Is there a single newspaper anywhere, from any time that you'd make such a claim for?

Some have a stronger editorial slant than than others, just my opinion. The Times used to come pretty close to impartial and as for the rest just know what their stance is and make suitable allowances. Funny really, folks pay good money to be informed and are fed biased info and advertising.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:
pete75 wrote:

What's your definition of "ordinary people" and what do they actually do?

I said as much but the clothes and prices are for real?

whats the connection between the Observer and the Guardian? as it is really an Observer article?

The Guardian owns The Observer.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

and this presumably is the source of the inspiration?

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/gallery/2020/jan/10/pitti-cool-highlights-from-the-aw20-menswear-event-in-pictures

How can these designers survive?
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

Bmblbzz; who or why or what is Patrick Field AICMFP!?

Worth remembering just how old-fashioned I am ...................

I bought a newspaper, once: 1975, I think it was.

Happy days,
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Bmblbzzz wrote:If we look at the url: https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/gal ... n-pictures
we will see that this thread has misled us.

eh? Thats the url I posted. so whats your point?
willp01908

Post by willp01908 »

I see from those photos that a sock sandal combination is on trend and so the fashion peleton has finally caught up with me.

I do like to cycle in adventure type sandals on summer tours - the addition of a cheeky pair of socks is a surprisingly comfy addition on a cold morning. Usually come off before I bump into too many people tho...
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

willp01908 wrote:
I see from those photos that a sock sandal combination is on trend and so the fashion peleton has finally caught up with me.

I do like to cycle in adventure type sandals on summer tours - the addition of a cheeky pair of socks is a surprisingly comfy addition on a cold morning. Usually come off before I bump into too many people tho...

I ignore fashion, and happily wear socks with sandals.

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick flowers in other people's gardens
And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Not so sure people pay money just be informed. We should chuck in an element of being assured that what we already know is "right".
As for the ad, it's obviously an attention seeker and thus has worked. Actually, silly jackets aside, one or two items might be OK and relatively normal.
willp01908

Post by willp01908 »

How can you get that manly stripey sandal tan if you wear socks? :D
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

willp01908 wrote:

It's winter when I feel the need for socks. In summer the stripes may be on show.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

mercalia wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:If we look at the url: https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/gal ... n-pictures

That it's a fashion article about clothes which happen to be "scout style", rather than an article to do with camping. Some of the early posts in the thread didn't seem to realise this.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Bmblbzzz wrote:
mercalia wrote:

That it's a fashion article about clothes which happen to be "scout style", rather than an article to do with camping. Some of the early posts in the thread didn't seem to realise this.

well is there much of a distinction? The clothes are horrible realisations of either activity. And what do scouts do? go camping? so its scout style camping minimum. Even the Guardian called it Carry on Camping, suggesting they were clothes for campers remembering their scout days?
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

willp01908 wrote:

Trouble is that no socks means that my sandals are totally unprotected from the disgusting smell that my feet are capable of generating. Same goes for cycling shoes.

Many years ago Kate and I cycled from Roscoff to Santander (in August heat and the hard way not the Velodyssee) - and when we got back her cycling shoes were so digusting they kept me awake and I got up and had to throw them out of the bedroom window. An hour later i had to get up again and hurl them to the end of the garden as they were still stinking the bedroom out through the open window!
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...