Bivvi bags - advice please

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Sweep

Re: Bivvi bags - advice please

Post by Sweep »

mercalia wrote: I dont think zero clothes in a bivvy bag is practical for obvious reasons as getting out of one is a bit public.

Surely you don't bivi in public?
Sweep
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I think what I'm trying to say is that if you want to be well protected and you take the bivy route you end up taking a similar amount of gear and probably a similar amount of weight and you will be lucky if you get the same protection as a tent.

I wouldn't wear no clothes unless I was in a enclosed space like a sleeping bag.
It's pretty obvious that a sleeping bag to give same amount of comfort as separate items light jacket trousers and foot to cover, it's going to be slightly less weight?

This is the argument isn't it that by the time you've added all those little bits of kit you might as well have taken a sleeping bag and a tent.

I can understand the thing about sleeping under the stars et cetera et cetera with a minimum equipment.
But as I have found even in Cornwall which is one of the warmest places in the country in the middle of Summer it does rain to overnight.
In my week-long trip I think it rains at least two or three times overnight.
I was fortunate that I was under a bus shelter every night, even though one had gaps at the bottom, if I'd of been outside with no shelter it would've been somewhat different.

I'm not saying you can't sleep outside just your sleeping bag, Just that if it rains and it does a lot overnight even in the summer we don't notice because we're inside our houses, it's going to be very uncomfortable.

Along with my bivvy bag I took with me I also had a waterproof hood that I had taken off and old one-piece waterproof insulated suit, this was a failsafe in case it rains.

I am not so small either at about 6 foot and 12 stone, so your standard bag is basically a good fit only if you are prepared to get into one position only.
You can buy very long and wide bags I have a few myself.
Wearing clothes normal cycling or any clothes under good insulating top layers it's okay when you are exercising eating and can ventilate well, but practicality is somewhat counter-productive in being comfortable and retention of heat,When you are resting and sleeping overnight.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
I think what I'm trying to say is that if you want to be well protected and you take the bivy route you end up taking a similar amount of gear and probably a similar amount of weight and you will be lucky if you get the same protection as a tent.

Simple answer: don't! Just accept what the bag can do, and plan accordingly. Maybe it's not for you, vive la difference!

I wouldn't wear no clothes unless I was in a enclosed space like a sleeping bag.
It's pretty obvious that a sleeping bag to give same amount of comfort as separate items light jacket trousers and foot to cover, it's going to be slightly less weight?

You've lost me here a little; are you ruling out putting a sleeping bag inside a bivvy bag?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:
mercalia wrote: I dont think zero clothes in a bivvy bag is practical for obvious reasons as getting out of one is a bit public.

Surely you don't bivi in public?

You are clearly anti social dont mind giving the squirrels, foxes and badgers a fright :wink:
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
mattheus wrote:

Simple answer: don't! Just accept what the bag can do, and plan accordingly. Maybe it's not for you, vive la difference!

You've lost me here a little; are you ruling out putting a sleeping bag inside a bivvy bag?

Sorry I will clarify-

Option 1
Sleeping bag------------------700grams
Bivvy bag----------------------350grams
Base mat----------------------100grams
Tarp overhead-----?---------300-500grams?
Poles / trees wall etc.-?---I suppose you could use loose branches?

Total--------------------------1450 - 1650grams?
Will depend how warm and dry you will be.
I guesstimated the tarp weight.

Option 2
Sleeping bag------------------600grams
Base mat----------------------100grams
Tent----------------------------1500grams

Total snug at say down to 10C 2200grams, for me on a good day :)

Just like to say I have a 40 gram plastic bag man size single sheet only 80 x 200 cm.
6o grams similar bag single sheet (just a bag opened up to make a sheet.
I also always carry a emergency space blanket envelope bag - 100 grams iirc.
These I use to have a kip on grass verges :)

Horses for courses.

I am still looking for an extra large breathable bivvy bag or hooped similar less than say 800 grams?
Or I will bodge up one with old tent material I have, It will only have to last say a week to ten days.
Large enough for me a sleeping bag and my bike luggage.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:I think what I'm trying to say is that if you want to be well protected and you take the bivy route you end up taking a similar amount of gear and probably a similar amount of weight and you will be lucky if you get the same protection as a tent.

You seem to have missed a lot of the point.
Cyclists, by and large, are outdoors types and like being out in the open air. While that does not always extend to their sleeping arrangements, for some it does. A lot of the point of a bivvi is it gives options for sleeping outside, as opposed to a field-portable inside.

If that's what folk want to do then it's a better option than a tent. And just like bikes don't keep you out of the rain (velomobiles excepted!) and cars do, but people still like cycling even if it might rain, same goes for bivvis against tents.

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:I can understand the thing about sleeping under the stars et cetera et cetera

I'm not sure that's actually the case! You don't seem to be getting beyond weight and protection from the elements.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Started life building tents out of blankets in the garden.
I made the choice of only bag and bivvy on my weeklong tour devon and cornwall coast.
All of my 24 hour and longer 32 hour solo rides I kip on the grass with a plastic sheet / open two sided bus shelter in my shorts overnight.
Wear shorts and sandals all year.

So I do tents, solo pennine way / westhighland way etc and carried a bivvy bag as well 1983.

I do bivvy bag in a bus shelter (I was lucky with bus shelters, now I know I can see bus stops on google maps, easier to find next time :) ) But was prepared to camp behind a hedge hence the waterproof hood.
I do plastic 40 gram sheet on the grass to protect from dew.

What more do you want?

I am just saying that the bivvy route is limited if the weather changes.

Most people I meet laugh at me wearing shorts when they look freezing with their longs.

The dewy eyed front cover wild camping views is a bit that, dewy eyed from freezing to death and abandoning.

I intend to do end to end return this year with a bivvy bag type of thing for lightness and compactness, I guess I am prepared for gritting my teeth much.

This is rainy cold Britain not the Bahamas :)

Yes I am probaly missing the point of a bivvy, as you see it, we can agree to disagree, I accept that.

LinusR wrote-
"Whilst I have slept rough many times with just a sleeping bag on a mat in the summer at sea level, I've never slept up a mountain in Wales in a bivvy bag. And I've never even used a bivvy bag."

My response is how cold you are happy to feel before you cringe, getting wet and cold with sweat / rain is not an option you will like away from any other shelter, solo is worse, but try it in better weather, what am I like you a re already an experienced camper, go do :)

P.S. I carry a emergency space blanket always, and a bivvy bag on longer than 12 hr rides always, but I carry lights and spare lights all year round on three hour trips too even in daylight.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:What more do you want?

A realisation that reasons to want to use a bivvi aren't limited to weight, bulk and weather proofing?
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Good luck pitching your tent in a bus shelter. Or church porch. <I'm sure others with more experience than me can contribute further examples> :)
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
pjclinch wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:What more do you want?

A realisation that reasons to want to use a bivvi aren't limited to weight, bulk and weather proofing?

I agree :)
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
mattheus wrote:Good luck pitching your tent in a bus shelter. Or church porch. <I'm sure others with more experience than me can contribute further examples> :)

Well if you have a three sided bus shelter then no need for any more than a mat and sleeping bag :)

Mind you I get both my solo tents in there, er maybe just the one :lol: -
Attachments
IMG_0238.JPG
IMG_0240.JPG
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

... well there you go - lovely! And a bivvi bag would make you a bit warmer, which is rather handy on many UK nights (even in July/August), just as you have commented up-thread.

A tent isn't really going to make that setup any cosier.

p.s. how do you dare be seen in public with that hideous tail-pack thingy?!? ; -)
NATURAL ANKLING

mattheus wrote:...
p.s. how do you dare be seen in public with that hideous tail-pack thingy?!? :wink:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mattheus wrote:Good luck pitching your tent in a bus shelter. Or church porch. <I'm sure others with more experience than me can contribute further examples> :)

Well if you have a three sided bus shelter then no need for any more than a mat and sleeping bag :)

Mind you I get both my solo tents in there, er maybe just the one :lol: -

where is Fairy Cross? Devon?

a useful place to remember if down that way?

fairy.JPG
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Yep :)
This was the place where a mounted policewomen walked by the window on the grass verge when I was packing up :?
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fairy ... -4.2746959

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.9951409 ... 312!8i6656