Recommended a 2 man tent for touring

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
pjclinch

Re: Recommended a 2 man tent for touring

Post by pjclinch »

SteveMat wrote:A thought strikes me about large tents like that though, is that finding a decent flat, secluded site ideally near a water source when wild camping could be an issue. Guess it depends on what sort of camping you do, if you're primarily staying on campsites it's not an issue but for me at least it would preclude too large a tent. Fwiw I like the Force Ten Xenon UL 2 for solo cycle touring, think it is a good mix of weight, price, size, porch size and stability for my needs at least (though i'm unsure on long term durability.)

You only need the bit you're sleeping on to be flat, if there are lumps and bumps under other bits, hey ho.
The Kaitum does have a fairly large footprint (the GT, huge!) but our use (mainly Scottish coastal or above the treeline) it's never been an issue. If you're looking at nooks and crannies out of the way in more populated areas, I'd say a fair criticism.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

One initial question has not been answered: is this for camping in the cold and windy wet or for the Mediterranean heat. I ask because for the former Scandinavian style outer first tents from the likes of Helsport or Hilleberg are ideal (we love ours for that), but not for really hot weather: they are too hot without enough ventilation, and their expensive nylon outers degrade rapidly under the sun. So for such hot weather we bought a much cheaper MSR Zoic3. It is ideal for that with maximum mesh, and it will save our expensive Hilleberg's skin.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

willem jongman wrote:One initial question has not been answered: is this for camping in the cold and windy wet or for the Mediterranean heat. I ask because for the former Scandinavian style outer first tents from the likes of Helsport or Hilleberg are ideal (we love ours for that), but not for really hot weather: they are too hot without enough ventilation, and their expensive nylon outers degrade rapidly under the sun. So for such hot weather we bought a much cheaper MSR Zoic3. It is ideal for that with maximum mesh, and it will save our expensive Hilleberg's skin.

Yeah, my Helsport is lovely for nights in Norway. I have awakened comfortably warm & discovered frost on the tent when I poked my head out. But it gets too warm fairly quickly in the morning on a hot day.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
JBB

Post by JBB »

The interesting thing I found with my Big Agnes tent was that if I used the footprint I could pitch it outer first as the poles clip into the footprint to create the structure, it's just then a question of clipping the inner into place. Alternatively I suppose it could be left attached at the corners so an all in one pitch is possible if you've planned ahead.
Personally as I have the footprint I use the outer first method when it's raining - which I pretty much discovered by trial and error!
soapbox

Post by soapbox »

No too many of them about, but double-entrance tents are better for tent-sharing, especially for those nighttime trips to the toilet where you’re not having to scramble over your partner to get in/out.
My middle-aged Terra Nova QuasarLite was always way too big and heavy for solo camping, but comes into its own when sharing.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

soapbox wrote:No too many of them about, but double-entrance tents are better for tent-sharing, especially for those nighttime trips to the toilet where you’re not having to scramble over your partner to get in/out.
My middle-aged Terra Nova QuasarLite was always way too big and heavy for solo camping, but comes into its own when sharing.

double entrance tents are also handy for one. For storing stuff you don't want in the main tent - panniers etc.
One entrance can be used for stuff you need less frequently and you can also fill that entrance.

The other one for other stuff and less filled so that you can get in and out without clambering over lots of stuff.
Sweep
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

soapbox wrote:No too many of them about, but double-entrance tents are better for tent-sharing, especially for those nighttime trips to the toilet where you’re not having to scramble over your partner to get in/out.

You only have to climb over someone with a side-on door: end-on both have equal access. But if it's nasty out and someone's cooking in a single porch and the rest of it's full of gear it can be a faff unless it's an extended porch with a side door. You don't need an extended porch to make life relatively easy, but a good size one does make stuff easier. Different folks have different ideas about "good size": I personally reckon the Quasar's are too wee, but others think they're generous. Mileage clearly varies!

I much prefer twin entrances/porches even for one. Tarptent do dedicated solo tents with twin porches (e.g. the Scarp 1), there are quite a few lighter two-person tents that give you palatial space for one (e.g., MSR Hubba Hubba and its close cousins. I wouldn't want a tent for two-plus without twin entrances (we use a Hilleberg Kaitum for cycle touring), preferring that over an extended porch.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
TimeTraveller

Post by TimeTraveller »

I Use and Alpkit Tetri for multi day trips, and and Alpkit soloist for simpler overnight trips.
Alpkit make a few other tents that are quite nice for cycle touring...
Pete... I think
nsew

Post by nsew »

pjclinch wrote:
SteveMat wrote:A thought strikes me about large tents like that though, is that finding a decent flat, secluded site ideally near a water source when wild camping could be an issue. Guess it depends on what sort of camping you do, if you're primarily staying on campsites it's not an issue but for me at least it would preclude too large a tent. Fwiw I like the Force Ten Xenon UL 2 for solo cycle touring, think it is a good mix of weight, price, size, porch size and stability for my needs at least (though i'm unsure on long term durability.)

You only need the bit you're sleeping on to be flat, if there are lumps and bumps under other bits, hey ho.
The Kaitum does have a fairly large footprint (the GT, huge!) but our use (mainly Scottish coastal or above the treeline) it's never been an issue. If you're looking at nooks and crannies out of the way in more populated areas, I'd say a fair criticism.

Pete.

I’d add that you only require the area of your backside and upper body to be flat. The pillow area is easily balanced with a few clothes and it’s no matter with the leg area. This knowledge greatly aids in locating a spot in what looks like no go terrain. This spot comes to mind from my last trip, arrived at Le Havre quite late in the day and took off by La Seine towards Paris. Running short of light, frustrated in attempts to locate a spot, freezing cold, scaled a gate to a path that led up a steep way. Halfway up about 3x2ft of flat.
Attachments
B4890DD7-7A61-43CB-927F-CD21BD89F827.jpeg
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

I have read most replies to the opening post.
I wonder if opening poster actually chose and purchased anything following our suggestions?
John