Recommended a 2 man tent for touring

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Therealsouthstander

Recommended a 2 man tent for touring

Post by Therealsouthstander »

I think it's time to change my touring tent which I've had for about 8 years. I currently have a 1 /2 man quechua tent which is fairly light and has been excellent value for money. It's a little bit small for 2 people and with my wife showing interest in coming touring with me, I'm looking for a decent 2 person tent that's fairly light.
I don't mind paying a little bit more if it's really light and good quality..

Looking forward to hearing some recommendations

Thanks
MrsHJ

Re: Recommended a 2 man tent for touring

Post by MrsHJ »

Have a look in the camping sub forum (top of the page). I like my big Agnes bike packing copper spur though.

viewforum.php?f=42
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

If there are two of you wouldn't you be better with a 3 man?
You can split the tent between the two of you.
Sweep
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

Hello, you are as optimistic about camping this year as we are!

For many years I've been using an old Vango Hydra 200 for myself, because I'm quite large - whilst the 'Boss' has been using her own tent. Benefit of the Hydra is that when the weather gets really bad - and last year we had solid weeks of rain and wind in France - the beast is both 'bombproof' but also plenty large enough for two people.

The Boss is now a year older, and has decided that she wanted something larger for herself - so we have just bought an updated, modern version of my Hydra for her to use. Easy to pitch, a porch to cook in, and inexpensive (we paid £70). It's not the absolute lightest at around 4kg, but the comfort, and knowledge that it won't let you down, is certainly worth an extra kg or two.

Happy days,
Attachments
Genelard Camping sauvage, 2013.JPG
Camping sauvage Charge-sur-Loire 2013.JPG
Camping Municipal Maille 2016.JPG
Camping Municipal Mael-Carhaix 16 Aug 2015.JPG
Camping Municipal Le Mas d'Agenais  28th Aug 2013.JPG
irc

Post by irc »

Second the 3 man tent suggestion. Unless both users are below avarage size the extra space is well worth the extra weight with most designs.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

If you only expect to sleep in it then a 2 man tent may work.
But if you can see yourself sitting out rainy days in it then the extra room in a 3 man tent may well make it a better bet.

Luck ........ :D
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Re the original question I can recommend the Robens Lodge.

Available in 2 and 3 man versions.

I got mine after a recommendation on here from bretonbikes.

Love it.

If you search on here for it OP you will find lots of info/reviews of it - from me, breton and others.
Sweep
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

We bought a Wild Country Hoolie 3 etc. HUGE porch and weighs in well. Prices could be good at the mo. Good vid of it here:
https://images.app.goo.gl/hcaCRVRMvbRxE4g56
dim

Post by dim »

If money is not an issue, look closely at the Hilleberg tents
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

If money is s concern, the Berghaus Hi-Peak is worth looking at: not budget and good quality but not expensive either.
John
Therealsouthstander

Post by Therealsouthstander »

Many thanks for the replies. Point taken regarding the 3 man option. The extra space will definitely keep my wife happy.. Wild Country Hoolie 3 etc is favorite at the moment and at around 3.5kg I think it reasonably light considering the size..

Please keep the suggestions coming
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

There is a longish thread on a similar topic viewtopic.php?f=42&t=124123

There's some noise on the thread, but also quite a bit of detail about several reasonable 2/3 person tents.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

With regard to the 2/3 person thing...

The definition of a "2 person tent" is down to whatever a marketing department says it is, rather than any sort of standard. Some marketing departments are either far more optimistic than others, or cater primarily to a market of hobbits. We have 3 notionally "2 person" tents, and they range from great solo tent that will manage two up to genuinely plenty of room for two and gear on tour. The only real way to decide IME is sit and lie in pitched examples and see how the space works for you. Plans and elevations are useful but only tell you so much, especially as you're looking at useful volume in the right places rather than total area.

So if you can, look at pitched examples. Some retailers do tent shows where you can have a look at lots, others have enough space and stock that you can pitch in shop. If that's not a goer, pitch a mail-order tent on a plastic sheet with pegs from another tent and be prepared to send it back.

We like our space and use a 3 person at times if we're not watching the weight/bulk too much, and it really is big enough for 3 (as in three inflatable mats side by side with no overlap and clear space at head and feet for everyone lying down, and room for everyone to sit up and not hit one another putting a shirt on). But our biggest 2 person one has more generous space (inner and porches) than some notionally 3-person designs I've seen, so pay more attention to how much space there actually is in "the tin" and not what it says on it!

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Everyone has different priorities and what works for us may not float your boat, but looking for a "keeper" generous-for-2 cycle touring tent back in 2006 we bought a Hilleberg Kaitum 3 and have had no regrets. They were rather cheaper then as the pound hadn't fallen through the floor in those days, but I'd replace like for like (though barring disasters I frankly expect it to last a very long time).

Easy to put up and take down, tough, space, space and more space, dismountable inner so you can fix bikes under cover if need be, and Hille's attention to detail which goes in to things being where and how they should be. The Kaitum 2 is genuinely big enough for 2 but we decided to be greedy about space. The Nallo GT has similar overall volume but less in the inner, plus the kaitum has a door and a porch each, which I like a lot.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I think a lot would depend on your budget.

I had bad problems with my MSR Hubba Hubba (major failure) - MSR (company) were totally unhelpful but retailer was very hlpful so retailer resolved it (supplying a different manufacturer's tent). The sent me a Hilleberg Rogen https://hilleberg.com/eng/tent/yellow-label-tents/rogen/ (I paid the extra) - which I love and recommend but it is expensive.

MSR Hubba Hubba Shield issues https://psamathe.net/msr-hubba-hubba-shield-review/

Ian