Camping at Home

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
nsew

Re: Camping at Home

Postby nsew » 7 Apr 2020, 9:22pm

I always camp ‘at home’ on returning from travels.
Last edited by nsew on 12 Apr 2020, 12:33am, edited 1 time in total.

DevonDamo

Postby DevonDamo » 7 Apr 2020, 10:00pm

Inspired by this thread and the hooped bivi thread, I've set my latest toys up in my back garden. It's a terra nova Jupiter hooped bivi - second-hand off eBay but as-new and i've never used it - along with a down sleeping bag which I have used at the music festivals last year, but that wasn't a proper test in that boiling weather. I do a bit of spontaneous wild camping from time to time to test out kit, and the reality is never as good as you imagine. If nothing else, I'll wake up tomorrow morning feeling more enthusiastic about being forced to sleep in my proper comfortable bed for months during this lock-down.

nsew

Postby nsew » 7 Apr 2020, 10:42pm

matt2matt2002 wrote:I camped outside in my new Hubba Hubba 2 man tent for four nights last week.
On the last night the kids from next door lobbed a few stones over the fence, one of which put a small tear in the fly sheet.

Indoors now.

A member here has promised to send me a tape for the repair.

Stay safe folks. - Watch out for stones..

The wee b+%£ards

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 8 Apr 2020, 11:40am

Jan Marten wrote:Although camping only 20m from my garden, I'd actually loaded the bike and ridden about 10kms to get here. Carried tent, stove and sleeping gear from home, called into local shop en-route for that night's comestibles. Glass of wine at sunset, coffee and granola at sunrise.

had to cross the river? why the detour?

Nebulous

Postby Nebulous » 8 Apr 2020, 11:55am

No, didn't have to cross river, there's a Right of Access servitude alongside the river. The bridge is no longer functional, central arch collapsed many years ago.

"Why the detour?" All added to the sense of adventure ;-)
Ride, Eat, Sleep. Repeat

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 8 Apr 2020, 1:02pm

Jan Marten wrote:No, didn't have to cross river, there's a Right of Access servitude alongside the river. The bridge is no longer functional, central arch collapsed many years ago.

"Why the detour?" All added to the sense of adventure ;-)

dont think the plod would agree :wink:

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 8 Apr 2020, 2:37pm

On another forum there's a group buy going on so I saw a nice XL pyramid tarp for little over a hundred quid. Suggested to the other half that we got it ready for a wild camp when we're allowed out. Got told that we don't need a new tent. Told her it's a tarp that's halfway between tent and tarp as a way to get our son into proper tarp camping. Apparently we don't need a 690g shelter that could possibly fit us all in costing a hundred pounds.

Besides there's nowhere to try it out so I'm stuck with our 7 tents, three tarps, one single skin tent and a beach shelter. I feel tentily deprived. I follow the n+1 philosophy with camping shelters. I never have enough. I might get be a driveway awning for the van once it's converted though. That'll get past the financial controller (Scrooge)!

PS tarmac backyard = nowhere to camp out during lockdown. Wish I'd bought that house with the 100 foot garden now. I didn't need a garden when I bought it because the lakes was my backyard. Sneaky camp outs were easy. It's times of pandemics when you realise just how important that time stealing piece of waste ground called a garden really is!!

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 8 Apr 2020, 3:08pm

TM, you sound like a tentaholic, rather like me and pal Sweep. :lol:

Having given up ground sleeping I now wishfully use Rusty, my VW T25 for which I purchased a Decathlon Air Seconds Base inflatable awning, works brilliantly. What sort of van are you converting? Couldnt be a better time to get it started.

Al

IMG_20170827_173235307.jpg
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

Nebulous

Postby Nebulous » 8 Apr 2020, 3:12pm

dont think the plod would agree :wink:

Plod, around here? Another of the advantages of living in ruralshire. Anyway I can justify (to myself anyway) the trip since it started and finished 'at my property' and the purchases were essentials.
Capture (1).JPG
Capture (1).JPG (16.17 KiB) Viewed 497 times
Last edited by Nebulous on 10 Apr 2020, 5:39am, edited 1 time in total.
Ride, Eat, Sleep. Repeat

Nebulous

Postby Nebulous » 8 Apr 2020, 3:26pm

Tangled Metal wrote: . . . tarmac backyard = nowhere to camp out during lockdown.

That's a very negative attitude ;-) Surely one of your tents is freestanding, or with a bit of ingenuity could be made so. Face away from the house, couple of pot plants at the entrance, bit of plastic grass (or liberate some of the real stuff from a neighbour) in the porch, sounds of nature and/or animals emanating from an Walkman (or similar). Voilà. Camping (en peu) sauvage.
Ride, Eat, Sleep. Repeat

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 9 Apr 2020, 8:51pm

Jan Marten wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote: . . . tarmac backyard = nowhere to camp out during lockdown.

That's a very negative attitude ;-) Surely one of your tents is freestanding, or with a bit of ingenuity could be made so. Face away from the house, couple of pot plants at the entrance, bit of plastic grass (or liberate some of the real stuff from a neighbour) in the porch, sounds of nature and/or animals emanating from an Walkman (or similar). Voilà. Camping (en peu) sauvage.

I have a balcony 3 floors up. Not very wide but long & it have been toying with the idea of putting a tent up there. Has to be a tent as it can get a bit windy. If the cops look down from the drones or suveillance helicopters would give them a chuckle?

well Mitcham Common woud have been a nice place to have camped out today. Made a short visit as part of my exercise/supermaket run. A lidl on the way back even had some flour in!!

WP_20200410_13_09_57_Pro.jpg

WP_20200410_13_01_32_Pro.jpg

WP_20200410_12_59_16_Pro.jpg

Cowsham

Postby Cowsham » 11 Apr 2020, 5:03pm

ossie wrote:...about this time of year I get the tent out in the garden and test the gear on an over nighter, all the animals join me so that's two Jack Russells and a cat..

Same here if the weather is like this cos weather could be awful cold in May here and I like to get the tent out, tested and aired. The two Jack Russell's would be two more cats in my garden -- this I discovered is a bad thing cos some years ago I looked out and the cats were taking it in turns to jump up on the tent, sliding down using claws as brakes!
It was only a cheap Tesco tent I used for chucking spare kit into when I travelled by old camper van to a campsite. -- my expensive back packing tent was out that day too but mercifully they didn't touch it.
I now get the tent tested and down again ASAP staying with it all the time.
No trip this year -- was really looking forward to it too. :(

Cowsham

Postby Cowsham » 11 Apr 2020, 5:14pm

al_yrpal wrote:TM, you sound like a tentaholic, rather like me and pal Sweep. :lol:

Having given up ground sleeping I now wishfully use Rusty, my VW T25 for which I purchased a Decathlon Air Seconds Base inflatable awning, works brilliantly. What sort of van are you converting? Couldnt be a better time to get it started.

Al

IMG_20170827_173235307.jpg

Great van the T25 -- I have a mate who bought a T5 and wishes he had his T25 back.
Our old vw bay that takes us everywhere, most reliable vehicle I have.

dinger207

Postby dinger207 » 17 Apr 2020, 7:54pm

Up to date figure for the Great British Campout is over £150,000. Gift Aid to be added

pedalsheep

Postby pedalsheep » 22 Apr 2020, 6:22pm

Lovely sunny ride this morning then put the tent up in the garden. Almost a perfect day!

P1020309.JPG
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.