Tent for Brompton

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Greystoke

Re: Tent for Brompton

Post by Greystoke »

I don't care if this is a zombie thread or whether the op can be bothered to reply....it's still interesting.
I welcome the day we can return to cycle touring but in the meantime we can still talk about it.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

hamster wrote:I've always found a Brompton to be more convenient than a Super Galaxy when parachuting into hostile territory.

:lol:
nice one!
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

The Brompton seatpost can acomodate at least part of the tent poles.
For complete peace of mind, you can try to get one of the old rubber bungs with the allen-key expander, so you're not going to loose the poles. the new seatpost bungs can come off with the weight of the poles, but I'm sure that some gaffer-tape can take care of it.
Or just strap the poles along the main tube, it should be long enough and the chainset does not have such a narrow Q-factor that you're going to touch the poles anyway.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

I have in the past Cycle camped with a Brompton. I used a Hilleberg Akto. The tent is so useful that the Brompton (folded of course) can fit in the porch to the left hand side (viewed from outside) and not be in the way.
The first time I tried fitting it I could not believe how easy and how big the porch was!
Carrying an Akto is of course pretty easy and it is excellent quality all weather.
Yes an Akto is more expensive than a 'Go outdoors' thingy but you only and usually always get what you pay for.
John
P J Clinch, I am certain will agree?
Last edited by leftpoole on 5 Jul 2020, 10:27am, edited 1 time in total.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I certainly agree.
I'm not a Brompton user, but the left end of the porch has no problem taking all 4 of my Ortliebs.

What Hiileberg have done, that most sellers of Akto clones (Terra Nova Laser Comp etc) don't, is to refrain from making the inner wide enough to accommodate a second mat, at the expense of porch space.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

leftpoole wrote:I have in the past Cycle camped with a Brompton. I used a Hilleberg Akto. The tent is so useful that the Brompton (folded of course) can fit in the porch to the left hand side (viewed from outside) and not be in the way.
The first time I tried fitting it I could not believe how easy and how big the porch was!
Carrying an Akto is of course pretty easy and it is excellent quality all weather.
Yes an Akto is more expensive than a 'Go outdoors' thingy but you only and usually always get what you pay for.
John
P J Clinch, I am certain will agree?

It's no secret that I like Hilleberg tents (even if my preference for 2 door/porch models means I'm not that fussed about the Akto), but they are very dear and it's important to realise that you can get a much better than half as good tent for half the money, and if the budget is limited then it's important to make sure there's some balance in how you spend it: best tent in the world won't get you a good night's sleep if your mat and bag are pants.

(if these rumours of £500 retail vouchers for a post-Covid economy boost turn out to be true I could get a Rogen for merely the price of a quite expensive tent!)

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...