Tent for Brompton

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
nsew

Re: Tent for Brompton

Post by nsew »

foxyrider wrote:
nsew wrote:
pjclinch wrote:Tents will almost always pack down much better if you separate the poles and pack them separately. Once you do that it becomes a simple matter of volume of material, and less/thinner will save you packing bulk. If you have a 4 Kg 3 person tent, a lot of packing bulk.

What about the poles? You can strap them ion to the rack, up the seat tube, along the frame, stand them up in the front bag, anything you want.

Pete.

These are all places where they’re vulnerable to damage and a faff to tie and untie. Poles are best protected on tour rolled up wIthin the tent.

my tent pole(s) have never been rolled into the canvas, in fact the advice from the mfr is to not fold roll the canvas at all which precludes poles in canvas! Its realy the daftest place to put the poles, you risk damaging the tent, you make the packed canvas bigger and combined you may well restrict your packing options. FWIW, i have the tent in three bags, pegs, canvas, poles plus mallet along with sleep mat and sleeping bag in one 20l Back Roller with room for my locks and overflow food/clothing. I did the same with the previous tent but the poles were longer so they were strapped along the tack stays - not sure how they'd be damaged there or in the bag :roll:

Canvas tent, locks, mallet, food, clothing, pegs, sleeping bag, mattress, poles, in one bag? No thanks. One pannier kitchen, one pannier clothing, one bag bedding, one bag shelter.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Not a recommendation, but I've just got to mention the Bikamper :D

Although I believe that it proved a problem having to strike camp whenever you wanted to nip down the shops for a pint of milk. And it's not even that light :roll:

But at least you'd know that your bike had been nicked, when the tent collapsed on you :lol:
nsew

Post by nsew »

Hilleberg recommending “really the daftest place to put the poles”.

https://docs.hilleberg.net/pitching/I16 ... 020216.pdf
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

nsew wrote:Hilleberg recommending “really the daftest place to put the poles”.

That's shown as a way you can do it, there's no suggestion it's the only way to do it.

However, having been lightweight camping on and off carting tents with me over 30 odd years, rarely with the pole(s) rolled up in the tent (though that's where I keep them for long term storage) I've never managed to damage any. It makes the packing considerably easier to break down bulkier items like tents if the space they need to take up isn't a similar cylinder.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Billy007

Post by Billy007 »

pedalsheep wrote:
Billy007 wrote:
hamster wrote:This might be worth considering: https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/msr-h ... ?colour=98

The MSR Hubba Tour tents seem to leak like sieves. Not waterproof. Avoid.

Would you care to elaborate? Does it leak through the seams, the fabric, the groundsheet? Just interested as I was slightly tempted at the price Cotswold are selling them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ah9TP7Qlxg&t=1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxDSzu63uec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFi56dXkuxE
Billy007

Post by Billy007 »

OP hasn't been back. I'm new here, but seems to me if you make a request for advice or help you don't then go awol.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Billy007 wrote:
pedalsheep wrote:
Billy007 wrote:
The MSR Hubba Tour tents seem to leak like sieves. Not waterproof. Avoid.

Would you care to elaborate? Does it leak through the seams, the fabric, the groundsheet? Just interested as I was slightly tempted at the price Cotswold are selling them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ah9TP7Qlxg&t=1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxDSzu63uec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFi56dXkuxE

Thanks. Perhaps not such a bargain after all!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
nsew

Post by nsew »

pjclinch wrote:

That's shown as a way you can do it, there's no suggestion it's the only way to do it.

However, having been lightweight camping on and off carting tents with me over 30 odd years, rarely with the pole(s) rolled up in the tent (though that's where I keep them for long term storage) I've never managed to damage any. It makes the packing considerably easier to break down bulkier items like tents if the space they need to take up isn't a similar cylinder.

Pete.

We’ve been through this before, stop pretending you’re anything other than a weekend hiker. Why don’t you two bright sparks take it up with Hilleberg who bag and ship their tents with the poles rolled up in the centre. There’s a clue as to where they are safest from damage.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

nsew wrote:
pjclinch wrote:

Pete.

Why don’t you take it up with Hilleberg who bag and ship their tents with the poles rolled up in the centre. There’s a clue as to where they are safest from damage.

Thats only to make sure everything is in the package, i bet the pegs are in the middle too.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

nsew wrote:
Why don’t you two take it up with Hilleberg who bag and ship their tents with the poles rolled up in the centre. There’s a clue as to where they are safest from damage.

They will want to send out single packages so the bits stay together. That's about logistical simplicity and as the volume of a shipping package won't really be changed by packing the things separately there's no reason to do that. If, on the other hand, the packing volume you have is split between several bags, none of which are elongated like a tent pack, it makes equally good sense to split the tent packing. While the storage on my sea kayak is big enough for my Tarra all in one bag, the hatches to access it aren't, so I have to pack the poles in separately. It doesn't hurt them, but forcing the whole tent packed as a cylinder through an 8" hatch and round a sharp corner almost certainly would. They're pretty tough things, Hillebergs, they somehow manage without the poles packed insides if that's a more convenient way to transport them.

Pete.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

nsew wrote:
Why don’t you take it up with Hilleberg who bag and ship their tents with the poles rolled up in the centre. There’s a clue as to where they are safest from damage.

Okay, I've taken it up with Hilleberg, by reading the rather more detailed instructions for the Tarra. Here's what it says (bold is my emphasis)...

Lengthen guy lines and the peg tensioners on the vestibules so your tent is ready for its next use. Brush out the tent and clean the zippers with a brush. In windy conditions attach one guy line to a heavy object, such as a backpack. To take down the tent, reverse the steps you used during set up. Fold the poles and put them, along with the pegs in their bag, into the pole bag. Fold the tent, roll it around the pole bag, and slide the bundle into the tent bag. Alternatively, fold or stuff the tent into the tent bag without the poles, and pack the pole bag separately in your pack. Do not push the pole and peg bags down the side of the filled tent bag, as this could damage your tent.

Are you convinced it's actually a plausible strategy yet?
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Billy007 wrote:OP hasn't been back. I'm new here, but seems to me if you make a request for advice or help you don't then go awol.

Totally agree. When a new member's first post is a question or request for advice, all too often they turn out to be 'fire and forget' posts. It also happens with established forum members and after I've wasted my time replying to someone I'm often kicking myself for not having first checked their post history to check whether they're serial offenders. It does also demonstrate the pit-falls of not reading the thread before adding your 2p: there's no point in chipping in something which has already been said or when it's a zombie thread from years ago which someone has inexplicably decided to 'bump.'
nsew

Post by nsew »

It’s not that difficult, Pete

You wrote, “ What about the poles? You can strap them on to the rack, up the seat tube, along the frame, stand them up in the front bag, anything you want.“

I wrote, “These are all places where they’re vulnerable to damage and a faff to tie and untie. Poles are best protected ON TOUR rolled up wIthin the tent”.

Foxy wrote “Its really the daftest place to put the poles”.

I replied that Hilleberg recommend it and included a link to a PDF that shows Method 1 (rolled In the tent) clearly next to Method 2 (separate from the tent).

pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

nsew wrote:It’s not that difficult, Pete

You wrote, “ What about the poles? You can strap them on to the rack, up the seat tube, along the frame, stand them up in the front bag, anything you want.“

I wrote, “These are all places where they’re vulnerable to damage and a faff to tie and untie. Poles are best protected ON TOUR rolled up wIthin the tent”.

Foxy wrote “Its really the daftest place to put the poles”.

I replied that Hilleberg recommend it and included a link to a PDF that shows Method 1 (rolled In the tent) clearly next to Method 2 (separate from the tent).

The difficult bit for you is realising when ability to pack a load is more important than protection from some notional damage potential.

Perhaps if I was doing proper adventures the stray shrapnel would nick any horribly exposed poles, but luckily for me they manage the trip to the garden without getting dinged too much (actually as I don't tour on my Brom they go inside a very long recumbent specific pannier with no problem, but it's about tents on Broms).

The topic at hand is touring on a Brom which in many respects isn't an ideal load carrier (though I've only owned one for the best part of 20 years so what would I know about it?), so faced with not an ideal load carrier one may well end up carrying stuff in ways not quite the same as one might on a dedicated tourer. That might mean exposing your pole bag a bit more to the machine gun fire etc. that proper weekday touring apparently involves, but personally I don't think the risks are that high and it can make optimising the relatively limited available space a bit easier.

Pete.
hamster

Post by hamster »

I've always found a Brompton to be more convenient than a Super Galaxy when parachuting into hostile territory.