Tent for Brompton

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Eclecticeden

Tent for Brompton

Post by Eclecticeden »

Hi all,

I'm new here, so please be gentle! I've had a look around to see if this has been covered previously but I can't spot anything - apologies if I'm covering old ground.

I'm hoping to do some cycle touring/bikepacking either later this year or next year or whenever this all calms down, and I'll be on my Brompton (H6R) with the T-bag and the Rack Sack for luggage. I've tried packing my existing camping gear into this and it all just about fits, but doesn't leave me with any room for clothes, spares, etc. The biggest space eater is the tent; it's a Vango Pulsar 300 and it all packs down nicely but fills the Rack Sack. I love this tent, but it's pretty heavy (just shy of 4kg) and I'd like to free up a bit more space in the Rack Sack, so I've been looking at smaller, lighter tents. One thing I'm finding is that most bikepacking tent recommendations (Wild Country Zephyros 1, MSR Elixir 1, etc) don't pack down any smaller than my Vango (53cm x 16cm) although they are considerably lighter. I'm less concerned with weight (I'm not the lightest chap in the world) so in many ways these tents defeat the purpose for me. I would also like the tent to have enough vestibule space to fit my Brompton; having had one B nicked from my own front porch, nowhere is safe and I don't feel comfortable leaving it outside the tent overnight on a public campsite.

Can any recommend a suitable tent for bikepacking that will pack down to around 45cm in length and has enough vestibule space for my B? I have seen the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL1 Bikepacking edition (catchy title...) which looks perfect but is on the pricey side. I'll only be going out from mid-Spring to early Autumn so 3-season is absolutely fine.

Thanks in advance!

Ollie
st599_uk

Re: Tent for Brompton

Post by st599_uk »

I have a Go Outdoors OEX Phoxx1 which is very small (both packed and put up) but has a decent sized "back porch" (both sides have a vestibule, only one of which is accessible via an outer zip) where I think a Brompton would just fit.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
hamster

Post by hamster »

I'm one of those people who fails to understand why people pack tents (which are waterproof) inside bags. Why not simply strap it on top?
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Tents will almost always pack down much better if you separate the poles and pack them separately. Once you do that it becomes a simple matter of volume of material, and less/thinner will save you packing bulk. If you have a 4 Kg 3 person tent, a lot of packing bulk.

What about the poles? You can strap them ion to the rack, up the seat tube, along the frame, stand them up in the front bag, anything you want.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

We use a Force 10 Xenon 2+ for two of us, weighs 2.1kg, with a big porch and pack size is 46cm x 16cm (though we pack the poles separately). For one person the standard Xenon 2 with smaller porch would be fine, 1.7kg, 45cm x 15cm pack size. Ours has been used for one three month tour, and one of six weeks so far with no issues at all.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Pack size of my 2 man Powerlizard is @ 25cm x 15cm, the poles in their seperate bag are @ 30cm long and the whole thing weighs in at just over 1kg. i think you'd get the bike inside, the only downside is that they cost @ £400 :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
drossall

Post by drossall »

Somewhat more economic, I just got another promotion from Millets/Blacks. The Wild Country Hoolie Compact 2 looks interesting - loads of space in the porch, and packs remarkably small if that page is to be believed. Not the lightest, but you generally have to spend to save weight. Others there to look at as well.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Billy007

Post by Billy007 »

hamster wrote:This might be worth considering: https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/msr-h ... ?colour=98

The MSR Hubba Tour tents seem to leak like sieves. Not waterproof. Avoid.

Anyway coming up for a month and the OP hasn't been back. Not good.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Billy007 wrote:
hamster wrote:This might be worth considering: https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/msr-h ... ?colour=98

The MSR Hubba Tour tents seem to leak like sieves. Not waterproof. Avoid.

Would you care to elaborate? Does it leak through the seams, the fabric, the groundsheet? Just interested as I was slightly tempted at the price Cotswold are selling them.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
rich.hr6

Post by rich.hr6 »

Always fancied a Wild Country Hoolie 2. Seems to tick a lot of the boxes for Brompton touring, and also for the larger or taller person. Doesn't weigh too much and got a good porch by the look of things.
Might treat myself when all this is over,.......if I'm still here and we're allowed to go out and enjoy ourselves
nsew

Post by nsew »

pjclinch wrote:Tents will almost always pack down much better if you separate the poles and pack them separately. Once you do that it becomes a simple matter of volume of material, and less/thinner will save you packing bulk. If you have a 4 Kg 3 person tent, a lot of packing bulk.

What about the poles? You can strap them ion to the rack, up the seat tube, along the frame, stand them up in the front bag, anything you want.

Pete.

These are all places where they’re vulnerable to damage and a faff to tie and untie. Poles are best protected on tour rolled up wIthin the tent.
nsew

Post by nsew »

hamster wrote:I'm one of those people who fails to understand why people pack tents (which are waterproof) inside bags. Why not simply strap it on top?

And a waste of valuable packing space. Ideally packed in a heavy duty dry bag such as a canoe bag which typically weigh in about 40g above the flimsy lightweight dry bags. Tent, poles, pegs, groundsheet all in one bag, not spread all over the place. Same with sleeping kit, one bag. Easy to unpack and easy to pack.
londonbikerider

Post by londonbikerider »

Have a look a the one in this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=137327
In the video they show a full size mountain bike goes under the canopy, and plenty if space left for bags, etc.
I'm intrigued by the overall ratio of price Vs weight Vs living space, were looking at one of those tents for short trips with my girlfriend.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

nsew wrote:
pjclinch wrote:Tents will almost always pack down much better if you separate the poles and pack them separately. Once you do that it becomes a simple matter of volume of material, and less/thinner will save you packing bulk. If you have a 4 Kg 3 person tent, a lot of packing bulk.

Pete.

These are all places where they’re vulnerable to damage and a faff to tie and untie. Poles are best protected on tour rolled up wIthin the tent.

my tent pole(s) have never been rolled into the canvas, in fact the advice from the mfr is to not fold roll the canvas at all which precludes poles in canvas! Its realy the daftest place to put the poles, you risk damaging the tent, you make the packed canvas bigger and combined you may well restrict your packing options. FWIW, i have the tent in three bags, pegs, canvas, poles plus mallet along with sleep mat and sleeping bag in one 20l Back Roller with room for my locks and overflow food/clothing. I did the same with the previous tent but the poles were longer so they were strapped along the tack stays - not sure how they'd be damaged there or in the bag :roll:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!