Jetboil or Alpkit

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
matt2matt2002

Jetboil or Alpkit

Post by matt2matt2002 »

I've been considering the Jetboil Zip but came across the Alpkit system.
Any views or experience of either?
Just looking for a simple gas boiler. Not large capacity. No simmer function.
Solo backpacking. Boil in the bag food and a cuppa.
Not sure I want to consider the meths systems.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
PH

Re: Jetboil or Alpkit

Post by PH »

Yes experience with both, I'm sure we've done this? but a bit more feedback probably wouldn't go amiss.
Jetboil - I had the original for at least ten years, probably a few more, used loads both touring and day rides, no issues with it alt all, eventually wore out.
Alpkit - Bought this because it was an absolute bargain, fired it up and have no doubt it'd do what it says. it's bulky compared the Jetboil and looks and feels cheap. I decided it wasn't for me, mostly because of the bulk, sold it and bought...
Primus Lite + smaller than the original Jetboil, about the same price, might be a bit tight for a boil in the bag meal, perfect for a cuppa. Pros and cons over a Jetboil, but I prefer it.
Also, considered the MSR Windburner, a little bulky for day rides but might have been the best for camping.

There's a good comparison review here
https://thenextchallenge.org/jetboil-co ... ng-stoves/
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Have you seen the recent tests on CUK, they may help.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/choose-best-camping-stove-grouptest
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Many thanks folks. Excellent resources.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I don't think the Alpkit is as powerful or efficient as jetboil, it is however at a better price. I both like and am suspicious of Alpkit. I've had good and bad products from them that I don't trust them enough to get their stoves. I do like the look of their efficient burners that look similar to jetboil.

As an aside I read years ago that the original Jetboil was developed with the contribution of Primus. For some time Primus supplied the burner part too is what I read. Then there was a fall out because Primus wanted to release their own version, similar but different so not a clone. I believe jetboil tried to stop it. Eventually Primus did come out with their own high efficiency systems, msr too. Now there's clones made by or for a few companies so jetboil obviously lost any battle to keep the technology.

It's my view that jetboil are probably the best jetboil style of stove and pot systems. MSR have their own system that I believe is supposed to be faster boiling and more fuel efficient. Primus is also a good stove maker so their efficient and fast burner / pot systems will be good too.

If money isn't an issue then get jetboil. If money is an issue get Alpkit over any other clone brands. They have a very good returns policy called their Alpine bond.
PH

Post by PH »

Tangled Metal wrote:I don't think the Alpkit is as powerful or efficient as jetboil,

Don't have to think about it, the boil times and gas usage is in the comparison above, there was no difference between the Jetboil and Alpkit models tested.
It's my view that jetboil are probably the best jetboil style of stove and pot systems.

As someone who's had all three, I'm curious in what way you consider it best? The comparison above gives six categories of best, no stove wins two and it'd be a miracle if any stove won all six. The Jetboil is a great stove, the original and still excellent, the Primus Lite + suits my current use better.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

PH wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:I don't think the Alpkit is as powerful or efficient as jetboil,

Don't have to think about it, the boil times and gas usage is in the comparison above, there was no difference between the Jetboil and Alpkit models tested.
It's my view that jetboil are probably the best jetboil style of stove and pot systems.

As someone who's had all three, I'm curious in what way you consider it best? The comparison above gives six categories of best, no stove wins two and it'd be a miracle if any stove won all six. The Jetboil is a great stove, the original and still excellent, the Primus Lite + suits my current use better.

May I ask, what is your current use?
Maybe this is the question/ answer that will help me decide?
I'm planning the West Highland Way and Great Glen way. Walking.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
PH

Post by PH »

matt2matt2002 wrote:May I ask, what is your current use?
Maybe this is the question/ answer that will help me decide?
I'm planning the West Highland Way and Great Glen way. Walking.

On my own, one cup. Small enough to not have to think about whether or not pack it. The small gas canister lasts me a week, coffee in the morning tea in the evening. I always set off touring with a full one and use anything left on day rides or overnights.
I liked the idea of doing some simple cooking, noodles, couscous.. but the reality is I can't remember the last time I bothered with it. If I wanted to do proper cooking I'd take the Tragia I have gathering dust.
For me the choice came down to the Primus or the Jetboil Micro, they both appealed but the Primus was a good bit cheaper. If I was making two cups, or wanted a bit more space in the pot, I'd have replaced the original Jetboil or looked closely at the MSR.
The comparison i linked is good, they've got it right IMO for those stoves I know, so I trust it for those I don't. Choose whichever one you feel best suits you.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

PH wrote:

I've seen tests were the Alpkit one is slower, on test sites I trust too. IIRC one site made comments explaining a potential reason for that.

One point I would make and that is most of the stoves in that first link with tests are jetboil style can top stoves with efficient but basic burners and heat exchanger pot that joins to create a system stove. Reactor from MSR uses radiant heat rather than direct flame and is technically different. I used to be really into it and read up a lot on stoves. Many years ago the reactor was giving significantly better performance than jetboil in the tests I saw. That's UK outdoor sites, USA sites and a few outdoor gear obsessives with blogs (like the guy in the linked test). More recently I looked up tests in Alpkit brukit stove and in the magazine reviews it gave lower efficiency and boil times than jetboil but obviously still got best buy tags because of the price.

As to what I use, large trangia with gas burner because I've got a family and mostly cycle tour or car camp. Simmering and actually cooking is easier. I'm no longer into UL camping like in used to be a few years back. Priorities change but interests linger longer!!
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

rotavator wrote:Have you seen the recent tests on CUK, they may help.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/choose-best-camping-stove-grouptest

As always it’s interesting to read the CTC version of how to go ⛺️
They really should try to stick to cycling which is something they have a rough idea of!
I’m a long time Member and am tired of the same old reviews of camping year after year with no real advice.