covid and camping

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
1982john

Re: covid and camping

Post by 1982john »

There's lots of talk of risk on this thread but little in regards to quantifying said risk.

Things we've learnt since lockdown is that the risk to say a young, healthy female is an order of magnitude less than a 70 year old bloke carrying a few pounds.

We also now have better data around which regions the infections are located on various news websites.

Additionally, someone can self isolate before they travel. So say I wanted to go away next weekend I could minimise my exposure between now and then to next to zero meaning I can sure as possible I'm not risking other communities.

Personally I will be going away as soon as campsites are open.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Carlton green wrote:
Having a break away doesn’t need to be about travel, to my mind having a break is about refreshment and refreshment can happen near to home too. Adding extended travel to a break away adds unnecessary risks to virus containment.

but we can't get refreshment, the pubs and cafes are still closed! :lol:

You also seem a little confused with your 20 miles limit, as we can ride as far as we like - and even drive a 'reasonable' distance to do exercise why on earth would we set a specific distance for camping? what about the campsite thats 21 miles from home? could i do the 40 miles to the campsite thats across the river within range but without a direct link?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

mjr wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Personally I noticed a change in attitudes to distancing and behaviour in my local supermarket after that announcement that you could travel further to exercise. Every little loosening IME causes a bigger change in views among a significant number near me. It's what I've noticed at least.

I think it's the increasingly pathetic government adverts which does that. We've gone from a simple-but-wrong "Stay Home" to a confused mess of "Stay Alert" with five or six bullet points beneath it which almost no-one reads and a strong message to go back to work which caused much confusion and many unnecessary journeys on Monday.

I'm pretty sure it's not the fault of the exercise relaxation which I think hasn't even registered with most people because they weren't particularly restricting their exercise anyway beyond a general "don't take the mickey" of not driving across country to walk the dog. Car parks at the local woods have been busy throughout, except where physically closed off, and I'm glad that other accesses are available to cyclists.

I've mixed feelings on the tourism+travel plan. It's at the far end of a few "maybe"s and I'll wait and see what happens before deciding what I think of it, nearer the time.

The change in behaviour I noticed was straight after the government said you could travel to get your exercise, before the current relaxations. The core of the message hadn't changed at that point, still stay at home in sand protect the NHS. But my point read that every change from a higher to a lower level of lockdown strictness seems to cause people where I live to stop following the new norms of behaviour in public spaces such as one way routes in supermarkets, distancing, meeting up with friends, etc. One house near us had half a dozen cars parked at their house and a BBQ going on!!!! That's not government messaging, that's stupidity and selfishness.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Self isolate for 7 days so you know you're clear of the virus works fine there but how do you self isolate for 7 days when camping? You could easily bring the virus back with you so are you really going to be self supported and isolated for 7 days stuck in your tent without using shared services or having any contact?

The quiet places will still be there when it's safe. Can't people wait until the virus is more under control or even a vaccine?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Tangled Metal wrote:Self isolate for 7 days so you know you're clear of the virus works fine there but how do you self isolate for 7 days when camping? You could easily bring the virus back with you so are you really going to be self supported and isolated for 7 days stuck in your tent without using shared services or having any contact?

We don't know yet, but we don't know about hostels and hotels either. I hope a protocol will be found.

The quiet places will still be there when it's safe. Can't people wait until the virus is more under control or even a vaccine?

Most can. Many will. Some can't. More won't. We shouldn't say no no no and refuse to discuss it because I suspect the govt will then concentrate on the big hotel chains, even though hotels seem higher risk than camping to me.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

In the last couple of days there have been three loaded touring bikes ridden across our common. Many long distance cyclists take this lane as it forms part of Sustrans 45 which is on their recommended LEJOG route.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I thought you self isolated for 7 days when you got symptoms. You need much longer to ensure you are free as it takes up to 3 weeks for the symptoms to appear.
John
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

bikepacker wrote:In the last couple of days there have been three loaded touring bikes ridden across our common. Many long distance cyclists take this lane as it forms part of Sustrans 45 which is on their recommended LEJOG route.

Humm..
3 that you've seen...
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

I have seen a two riding as a pair and the other seen by my wife.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
mjr

Post by mjr »

matt2matt2002 wrote:
bikepacker wrote:In the last couple of days there have been three loaded touring bikes ridden across our common. Many long distance cyclists take this lane as it forms part of Sustrans 45 which is on their recommended LEJOG route.

Humm..
3 that you've seen...

A group of friends were meant to go touring a few weeks ago,but we postponed to 2021. About half rode some of the daily distances as loops from home instead, some with touring kit loaded, to replace the lost exercise, as the time off work could not be cancelled and the weather was good. I doubt we're the only ones to do that.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

mjr wrote:
matt2matt2002 wrote:

Humm..
3 that you've seen...

A group of friends were meant to go touring a few weeks ago,but we postponed to 2021. About half rode some of the daily distances as loops from home instead, some with touring kit loaded, to replace the lost exercise, as the time off work could not be cancelled and the weather was good. I doubt we're the only ones to do that.

sounds like a good way to ruin some nice rides :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Sweep

Re: Campsites hoping to re-open in July

Post by Sweep »

Must say i don't understand the suggested limiting of capacity/spacing tents when toilet blocks are going to be shared. Tents usually 2m apart anyway aren't they except in the most jammed tourist-thronged places?
So seems to me they should either stay shut or just open as usual with some extra toilet block cleaning.
Sweep
horizon

Post by horizon »

There's an article in the Sun apparently that claims that campsites in the UK are now 500% booked. Can anyone explain this (and tell the people of Cornwall)?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher