Lightweight camp shoes.

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
simonineaston

Re: Lightweight camp shoes.

Post by simonineaston »

Not cheap
You got that one right... :wink:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I've always found canvas espadrille shoes hard to beat, very light and packable.

Example https://www3.next.co.uk/g712296s1/983095#983095
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Crocs are decent enough though I've found it difficult to walk far in them - they're always too large or too tight - so now I use the sandals I ride in.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I started off touring with no evening shoes, as being too bulky.
That lasted 4 or 5 days, until I got some flip-flops.

Since then I've been through a variety of other options - espadrilles, five fingers, Teva walking sandals, Jingas (which seem to have become a lot more expensive since), and I'm now back where I started.

Nothing, but wearing SPD cycling sandals* that my feet don't need a rest from in the way that regular cycling shoes leave them.
(* mine are from when Spa were selling them as the Exustar SS502)

Of those I did take, the Tevas were best
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Bonefishblues wrote:Water shoes would do it.

Pricey mind. Likely the royalties to Polly :wink:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MENS-SWIMMIN ... 1785455135

Yes,those are the sort of thing i use. Very compact for packing. Can't remember where I got them.
Decathlon?
Sweep
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

NickWi wrote:Search Google for tent or hut booties if you're after warmth rather than walking around. They don't have a hard sole in sense of the word that even the thinnest pair of sandals have, but all have a hardwearing bottom to give some toughness. The better ones are have a DWR coating so you can walk on snow or the genral dampness of grass doesn't soak them straight away.

Seconded! Very useful and take up little room in a packed pannier.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

matt2matt2002 wrote:Any thoughts on lightweight slip on type shoes for wearing at the end of the day around the tent?
I have crocs but looking for other ideas.
Thanks folks.

For that type of use and for light general use I find plain old simple black, ‘school’ type, ‘canvas’, lace-up pumps are pretty much ideal. I think that the last pair I bought was a few pounds from sports direct in my nearest ‘high street’ store. They damage nothing, are light, are cheap, pack down small, give some grip, offer some protection and dry easy enough.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
fram

Post by fram »

"Freet" slip ons. Cheap, light and practical. They also sell cheap and cheerful (but not terrifically durable) waterproof socks.
millimole

Post by millimole »

fram wrote:"Freet" slip ons. Cheap, light and practical. They also sell cheap and cheerful (but not terrifically durable) waterproof socks.
Either I'm looking at the wrong thing, or my definition of 'cheap' is at variance with yours
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
fram

Post by fram »

Maybe. I haven't looked recently as I got two pairs of the lightweight slip ons when they did one of their "sales" about 18 months ago. I've never paid "full price" for any of their stuff. The socks WERE considerably cheaper than Sealskins.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I do have a pair of these.
Impressed by them.
Have a rather decent sole as well.

https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/wetsuit ... tml#SID=15
Sweep