Camping and Caravan Club sites opening this summer

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Slowroad

Camping and Caravan Club sites opening this summer

Post by Slowroad »

I was interested to find this:
https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.c ... -+17.06.20
Unfortunately the three sites within a day's cycle from me will be open without 'facilities'.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Slowroad

Re: Camping and Caravan Club sites opening this summer

Post by Slowroad »

It also occurs to me that I usually 'just turn up' at CCC sites as they have a policy (not always stuck to!) to accept solo cyclists and walkers without bookings however full they are. I'd understand if this wasn't possible at the moment and I'll contact them to ask.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
robing

Post by robing »

if they haven't got facilities open you might as well wild camp.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

robing wrote:if they haven't got facilities open you might as well wild camp.

agree = the only reason for using a campsite is the washing and toilet facilities.
after that, you just need the patch of grass. and some peace and space.
Sweep
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I actually enjoy being at campsites! (Mostly - packed noisy ones less so...) I like having drinking water, a loo, a shower and somewhere to wash up. I like watching other people, and I occasionally have interesting conversations with them.
Horses for courses - wild camping isn't for me. And from the comments on various forums and Facebook pages, it's going to be very tricky to find a hidden spot without someone already pitched up! Definitely the in thing :-)
― Peter Golkin
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I guess some will soon enough find wild camping - or any camping - is not for them. Others think wild camping is taking a massive trailer to a car park and dumping their dump on the roadside. LNT is unknown to them.

Not many will take a backpack and kids to the top of a mountain or deep into a valley that is inaccessible to a car.
John
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

Slowroad wrote:I actually enjoy being at campsites! (Mostly - packed noisy ones less so...) I like having drinking water, a loo, a shower and somewhere to wash up. I like watching other people, and I occasionally have interesting conversations with them.
Horses for courses - wild camping isn't for me.

It wouldn't be my first choice either. I actually try to find a campsite near to a pub so I can get a decent cooked meal and few relaxing drinks at the end of a long day. If I were on tour and unable to find a campsite for the evening I'd go and ask the farmer if I could camp in his field. If he refused then it's probably only a 10 minute ride to the next farm... It's the trespass aspect of wild camping that I don't like the idea of.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

PaulaT wrote:
Slowroad wrote:I actually enjoy being at campsites! (Mostly - packed noisy ones less so...) I like having drinking water, a loo, a shower and somewhere to wash up. I like watching other people, and I occasionally have interesting conversations with them.
Horses for courses - wild camping isn't for me.

It wouldn't be my first choice either. I actually try to find a campsite near to a pub so I can get a decent cooked meal and few relaxing drinks at the end of a long day. If I were on tour and unable to find a campsite for the evening I'd go and ask the farmer if I could camp in his field. If he refused then it's probably only a 10 minute ride to the next farm... It's the trespass aspect of wild camping that I don't like the idea of.

Since I wild camp in Scotland it isn't a problem.
John
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

PaulaT wrote: It's the trespass aspect of wild camping that I don't like the idea of.

Why?
Fear of something?
Idea that you are harming someone or their property?
I too like campsites, but without facilities you are effectively wild camping.
Sweep
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

As far as I know wild camping isn't of itself illegal but trespass is. All you need therefore is permission.
John
1982john

Post by 1982john »

Oldjohnw wrote:As far as I know wild camping isn't of itself illegal but trespass is. All you need therefore is permission.

Do people generally ask for permission?

One possibility for wild camping is thinking ahead about organisations that are still closed and so there will be very little activity around.

ie maybe national trust places.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

1982john wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:As far as I know wild camping isn't of itself illegal but trespass is. All you need therefore is permission.

One possibility for wild camping is thinking ahead about organisations that are still closed and so there will be very little activity around.

I doubt they do (ask permission), especially on the uplands. I was just stating the situation. Every bit of land in England belongs to someone. I never ask
Equally, I know that I have no right to remain if I am shifted on. In Scotland I have rights.
John
1982john

Post by 1982john »

Oldjohnw wrote:
1982john wrote:

I doubt they do (ask permission), especially on the uplands. I was just stating the situation. Every bit of land in England belongs to someone. I never ask
Equally, I know that I have no right to remain if I am shifted on. In Scotland I have rights.

Ideally you set up late and leave first thing. Can be tricky when the days are so long.

I also wonder how often people are moved on. I know it happens from stories of people that wild camp often.
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

1982john wrote:ie maybe national trust places.

Many (most?) NT places re-opened their grounds weeks ago.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

In 50 years of wild camping I've been moved once: on the beach at Bamburgh. I can hardly complain. Northumberland, Scotland, Snowdonia, Peak District, Lakes and N Yorkshire
John