Camping and Caravan Club sites opening this summer

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Slowroad

Re: Camping and Caravan Club sites opening this summer

Post by Slowroad »

To refer back to some comments earlier - I wouldn't try to get into a C&CC site which hasn't got facilities - nor would they let in a cyclist without their own portaloo! (A mental picture of such item being towed behind my bike!) :-)
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
ikenbikeit

Post by ikenbikeit »

I tried to book into Clitheroe C & C on Friday, after a small tour of the Dales.
It was if I was bringing the Black Death to the campsite.
I assured the officials that I didn't need facilities - I had brought folding washbasin and adequate toilet facilities.
She didn't say" no tents "but said there was no room on the campsite.
I was standing to the small tent area which was empty,

I was very annoyed and said she was going against her charter.
Over the last few years I have noticed large areas of c&c tent areas taken up with hard standing for caravans and motorhomes eg Rhayader and Scarborough, the latter put me next to the dogshit field and the former 3 meters away from the A470.
I wouldn't be surprised if they merged with the Caravan Club

I did get in at Edisford Bridge site a mile away.
Thank heavens - I had run out of cycling miles.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

ikenbikeit wrote:I tried to book into Clitheroe C & C on Friday, after a small tour of the Dales.
It was if I was bringing the Black Death to the campsite.
I assured the officials that I didn't need facilities - I had brought folding washbasin and adequate toilet facilities.
She didn't say" no tents "but said there was no room on the campsite.
I was standing to the small tent area which was empty,

I was very annoyed and said she was going against her charter.
Over the last few years I have noticed large areas of c&c tent areas taken up with hard standing for caravans and motorhomes eg Rhayader and Scarborough, the latter put me next to the dogshit field and the former 3 meters away from the A470.
I wouldn't be surprised if they merged with the Caravan Club

I did get in at Edisford Bridge site a mile away.
Thank heavens - I had run out of cycling miles.

If that was one of the main, not "listed" (sorry can't remember the names they use for the two types) sites i would take it up with head office.
Still you ended up behind a nice pub (still robinsons?) Albeit it has gone rather gastro.
Sweep
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

The club had a statement on their site that from July 4 their sites would be open, minus facilities. They had planned on opening facilities from July 14 if conditions allowed and this now seems to be the case.
I think the certificated sites also must follow those guidelines as they're part of the bigger organisation.
A lot of sites not affiliated with the C&CC are also now open for business but a few are still holding out due to covid fears, self isolating etc.
I've managed to get 5 sites booked on the way of the roses late August so my tour is all set to go :mrgreen:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Ideally you set up late and leave first thing. Can be tricky when the days are so long.
I remember wild-camping in mid-Wales somewhere (OK, OK - wot I should have said is I barely remember wild-camping...), consuming a handful of mushrooms (chum's idea), and half a bottle of dark rum and waking up the next morning, hearing my chum whispering, "They're coming - and they're carrying guns..." :shock:
They were, too and they were coming straight at us - and they carried on straight through our camp and up onto the hills behind, intent on their business, which was, thankfully, shooting foxes...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Vantage wrote:The club had a statement on their site that from July 4 their sites would be open, minus facilities. They had planned on opening facilities from July 14 if conditions allowed and this now seems to be the case.
I think the certificated sites also must follow those guidelines as they're part of the bigger organisation.
A lot of sites not affiliated with the C&CC are also now open for business but a few are still holding out due to covid fears, self isolating etc.
I've managed to get 5 sites booked on the way of the roses late August so my tour is all set to go :mrgreen:

Look forward to hearing about your trip and camping experiences vantage.
Sweep
ikenbikeit

Post by ikenbikeit »

Nowhere on the c & c website does it say no facilities therefore no tents.

I suspect that this is the case.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

With a caravan or motor home you can supply your water and toilet facilities. Not so easy with a tent.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

ikenbikeit wrote:Nowhere on the c & c website does it say no facilities therefore no tents.

I suspect that this is the case.

Since sometime in June, can’t remember exactly when, all the information has been there. Which sites were opening and with what if any facilities. I’ve noticed on sites I’ve looked to book grass pitches are not available and i think the main reason is to limit numbers and to help keep social distancing.
9BFCB2A6-B937-45F2-BD6F-BA3DEFF8246A.png

https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/2020/
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Information via the Association of Lightweight Campers, a section of the Camping and Caravanning Club:

1. You will be unable to just turn up and expect to be welcomed while the restrictions are in place.

2. Advance site booking only is available at the minute.

3. You must check to ensure that the necessary facilities are available before completing the booking

The ALC will be keeping an eye on this as they don't want to permanently lose the option to just turn up which has been a feature of the club since it started.

I don't think it is possible to book a 'backpackers' pitch online - certainly I've never found out how to! Bookings are very high at the moment, and space limited, so phoning to book seems the thing.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Slowroad wrote:Information via the Association of Lightweight Campers, a section of the Camping and Caravanning Club:

1. You will be unable to just turn up and expect to be welcomed while the restrictions are in place.

3. You must check to ensure that the necessary facilities are available before completing the booking

The ALC will be keeping an eye on this as they don't want to permanently lose the option to just turn up which has been a feature of the club since it started.

I don't think it is possible to book a 'backpackers' pitch online - certainly I've never found out how to! Bookings are very high at the moment, and space limited, so phoning to book seems the thing.

The couple of times i've used CACC sites i have booked via the website with no issues. That said, at the moment i'd want to be dealing direct with sites rather than the central robot.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Slowroad wrote:
Information via the Association of Lightweight Campers, a section of the Camping and Caravanning Club:

The couple of times i've used CACC sites i have booked via the website with no issues. That said, at the moment i'd want to be dealing direct with sites rather than the central robot.

How do you find the backpacker option? I can only find standard pitches costing around £15-20 a night to non-members. Thanks!
― Peter Golkin
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Don’t think you can get the BP discount on line

Backpacker Deals

Members receive 30% discount on site fees only.
Non-members receive 17% discount on site fees only.
Additional fees (hardstanding/service/jumbo/full service etc.) are charged at full price; additional adults and additional children are charged extra and at full price.
Rates are subject to pitch and site availability.
The Camping and Caravanning Club general terms and cancellation policies apply.
Offer is not available online, bookings must be made via the service centre or on site.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

You're best off contacting the sites directly.
I'm not sure if you're talking about the bigger official sites, but I've never paid more than £10 a night on a certificated site and they've never asked to see c&cc membership proof. If anything, I've paid less than the listed price on some sites when they see me on a bike with a dinky tent.
I'm even cancelling my subscription this year as I'm benefitting nothing from it.
Bill

Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

You're best off contacting the sites directly.

Glad you mentioned that - I'd only seen the 'Bookings Team' national number, but if you scroll down to 'Travel Info' there's a number for the campsite :-)
― Peter Golkin