Aldi July 2020 offers - chair and sleeping bag

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
foxyrider

Aldi July 2020 offers - chair and sleeping bag

Post by foxyrider »

I think someone mentioned in another thread but i can't find so here goes for information.

I spotted they had the 'lightweight camp chair' in prodigous stock, a quick 'hand weigh' suggested it was quite reasonable, under a kilo, so for £17.99 i decided to have a pop. Back indoors, assembly was quick and easy as its fully corded, the seat fabric went on quite easily. It seems to be quite stable and in my short trial, pretty comfortable. I comes in its own robust carry bag but you could save weight by leaving that at home. I don't usually bother with a chair on tour for all the usual weight/bulk reasons but i can see this going along when i'm doing a fixed centre weekend/trip where those considerations are less important.

I persused the stoves, caravan steps, solar battery chargers etc then spotted the sleeping bags. Previous experience suggested they'd weigh a ton but in fact they don't, a claimed 750g isn't too bad and they aren't even too bulky as is, i'm sure a compression bag would reduce them further in that element. They don't claim more than summer use but you could add a liner if straying outside of that period or using at altitude. They have a water repellent finish, come in 3 colours, left and right zips are available, they can be zipped together, internal length is quoted at 190cm and its supplied in a reasonable bag. At £12.99 i don't think you could go far wrong - so okay, i didn't need one but i got one anyway.

In conclusion, for a beginner or anyone on a budget these tick the boxes, for once light (at least reasonably) and cheap do go hand in hand! :D

Get to your local branch soon if you want any, at these prices they won't be around long!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Tangled Metal

Re: Aldi July 2020 offers - chair and sleeping bag

Post by Tangled Metal »

We got a previous incarnation of the Aldi lightweight sleeping bag. It's thin and but very warm. If these are similar then a liner won't make them suitable outside of summer. IIRC we bought them to cycle tour in summer in Netherlands. First weekend car camping with them we bought some good quality down bags from another source.

They're cheap and the cost for a low price is a poor performance, at least with the ones we got a few years back. They too looked good in store.

I'm afraid Aldi have stopped supplying good centre aisle deals a few years ago, at least as far as outdoor kit is concerned. When our local Aldi store opened maybe 5 years ago they sold quality stuff. I got a few cycling stuff that was was good as the main label products they copied such as moon lights clones. Then a year later they were no longer quite as good and lights failed very quickly. A year after that and a lot of kit fell apart at the seams on clothing or failed if electrical like lights.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Previous long topic on lightweight camping chairs on this topic :-
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=62173

To save you a trawl through - Aldi chair : you get what you pay for i.e. be careful of the durability and finish quality. . . .
1982john

Post by 1982john »

foxyrider wrote:I think someone mentioned in another thread but i can't find so here goes for information.

I spotted they had the 'lightweight camp chair' in prodigous stock, a quick 'hand weigh' suggested it was quite reasonable, under a kilo, so for £17.99 i decided to have a pop. Back indoors, assembly was quick and easy as its fully corded, the seat fabric went on quite easily. It seems to be quite stable and in my short trial, pretty comfortable. I comes in its own robust carry bag but you could save weight by leaving that at home. I don't usually bother with a chair on tour for all the usual weight/bulk reasons but i can see this going along when i'm doing a fixed centre weekend/trip where those considerations are less important.

I persused the stoves, caravan steps, solar battery chargers etc then spotted the sleeping bags. Previous experience suggested they'd weigh a ton but in fact they don't, a claimed 750g isn't too bad and they aren't even too bulky as is, i'm sure a compression bag would reduce them further in that element. They don't claim more than summer use but you could add a liner if straying outside of that period or using at altitude. They have a water repellent finish, come in 3 colours, left and right zips are available, they can be zipped together, internal length is quoted at 190cm and its supplied in a reasonable bag. At £12.99 i don't think you could go far wrong - so okay, i didn't need one but i got one anyway.

In conclusion, for a beginner or anyone on a budget these tick the boxes, for once light (at least reasonably) and cheap do go hand in hand! :D

Get to your local branch soon if you want any, at these prices they won't be around long!

Don't suppose you have an exact weight?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

1982john wrote:
Don't suppose you have an exact weight?

sorry don't have any scales to hand - when i do i'll be doing the weigh thing :lol:
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Tangled Metal wrote:We got a previous incarnation of the Aldi lightweight sleeping bag. It's thin and but very warm. If these are similar then a liner won't make them suitable outside of summer. IIRC we bought them to cycle tour in summer in Netherlands. First weekend car camping with them we bought some good quality down bags from another source.

They're cheap and the cost for a low price is a poor performance, at least with the ones we got a few years back. They too looked good in store.

I'm afraid Aldi have stopped supplying good centre aisle deals a few years ago, at least as far as outdoor kit is concerned. When our local Aldi store opened maybe 5 years ago they sold quality stuff. I got a few cycling stuff that was was good as the main label products they copied such as moon lights clones. Then a year later they were no longer quite as good and lights failed very quickly. A year after that and a lot of kit fell apart at the seams on clothing or failed if electrical like lights.

Not had that experience, the clothing i've had from them has been excellent and durable.

I wouldn't claim that the SB is super dooper, its advertised as summer use. I have a £300 plus down sleeping bag, maybe a bit of overkill, that is the bag i'd use for early/late season camping but the Aldi bag hits a good balance of price/performance. You get what you pay for, but sometimes you get a bit more! :lol:
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Graham wrote:To save you a trawl through. . .

If used on ground that's not hard enough, the legs will sink in, especially the rear ones. If you don't react to the sinking sensation early enough, and just pull them out, the feet can easily get left behind. I'd recommend either rubber walking stick ferrules, or castor cups.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

foxyrider wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:We got a previous incarnation of the Aldi lightweight sleeping bag. It's thin and but very warm. If these are similar then a liner won't make them suitable outside of summer. IIRC we bought them to cycle tour in summer in Netherlands. First weekend car camping with them we bought some good quality down bags from another source.

Not had that experience, the clothing i've had from them has been excellent and durable.

I wouldn't claim that the SB is super dooper, its advertised as summer use. I have a £300 plus down sleeping bag, maybe a bit of overkill, that is the bag i'd use for early/late season camping but the Aldi bag hits a good balance of price/performance. You get what you pay for, but sometimes you get a bit more! :lol:

I started off reading about Aldi outdoors clothing and kit being good value which it was. However more recently I am seeing more negative comments. I have early cycling clothes that are still in good nick and very useable. Good value. However the last cycling clothing I bought from Aldi has fallen apart after a few months of use. Things like rear pockets failed at stitching that separates the rear pocket into three pockets. Another had a great pocket zip fail. Things like this are becoming more common IME. Merino that failed at side zip long before it wore through to create holes.

IME you really have to be very careful with what you get. Our lightweight sleeping bags were actually a bit cold in some summer nights. I think one night was about 9C but it was cold. Add to that the zip was an issue, it kept sticking and always felt like it was close to failing.

It's a personal choice but I know I won't buy an Aldi sleeping bag again. I might buy cycling clothes but I might limit it to socks which IME seem to be ok. I will look at they're items closely and be very, very picky. I do not hold the view that it's cheap so worth a punt. BTW I've got some size large Aldi cycling clothing in the wardrobe that were simply poor in use. I've learnt my lesson.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

In ALDI shopping yesterday and saw the sleeping bags under discussion. The package is twice the size of my snugpac synthetic SB It would fill a pannier :D Definitely for a car camper I would say.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Graham

Post by Graham »

Aldi lightweight camping chair . . . . . .
andrew_s wrote:If used on ground that's not hard enough, the legs will sink in, especially the rear ones. If you don't react to the sinking sensation early enough, and just pull them out, the feet can easily get left behind. I'd recommend either rubber walking stick ferrules, or castor cups.

I have already lost one foot stopper. . . . forced deep into the ground and lost despite a thorough search.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Graham wrote:Aldi lightweight camping chair . . . . . .
andrew_s wrote:If used on ground that's not hard enough, the legs will sink in, especially the rear ones. If you don't react to the sinking sensation early enough, and just pull them out, the feet can easily get left behind. I'd recommend either rubber walking stick ferrules, or castor cups.

I have already lost one foot stopper. . . . forced deep into the ground and lost despite a thorough search.

easily available on ebay I would guess.
Are they the same as the rubber boots available for walking poles?
Sweep
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Sweep wrote:

easily available on ebay I would guess.

Plastic milk bottle tops under the legs works well for me.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Sweep wrote:easily available on ebay I would guess.

The problem will be the size. The Helinox Chair One (of which the Aldi etc. chairs are copies ) feet are 14 mm, and a couple of minute's-worth of google has found 11 mm, 12 mm, 13 mm, 15 mm, 16 mm, but no 14 mm. The pukka feet are £7.50 for 4 from Rock + Run.
I use 25 mm (or whatever) over the top of the regular feet that I've not lost.
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

Walking stick ferrules, fitted over the original feet, largely eliminate the "sinks into the ground" problem.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I've done that on several camp chairs over the years of all styles and prices. That said this new Aldi chair has a ferrule more like a walking pole tip on the feet to prevent it sinking in so much - we'll see. I've notgot scales but someone else weighed one at 795g.

just had the sleeping bag out - looks quite roomy compared to my sea2summit down, two way zip is good for temperature control. The 'in store' size is about average or perhaps smaller than some - i was in Blacks the other day looking for something else, but the included bag is a compression sack, get the air out, pull on the straps and i've reduced the size by @ 25%, it may go further with a bit of effort