low budget camping challenge

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Jdsk

Re: low budget camping challenge

Post by Jdsk »

Trying not to invoke the Four Yorkshiremen... but you're lucky to have chairs. : - )

We use Thermarest mats with straps that make a decent backrest. And very low point pressure on the ground!

Jonathan
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

Jdsk wrote:Trying not to invoke the Four Yorkshiremen... but you're lucky to have chairs. : - )

We use Thermarest mats with straps that make a decent backrest. And very low point pressure on the ground!

Jonathan

I contemplated doing that for my Thermorest. Then we remembered that they have chairs in pubs :D So we sit on those and go back to the tent to sleep 8) It means spending a lot of time in the pub but sometimes you have to make sacrifices :D
nsew

Post by nsew »

Richard D wrote:
Jdsk wrote:But we've just put up the tents and remembered that on the last tour we took one of these. It's a plumbing T piece, mass 18g.

Same here.

But then I blow the weight savings on carrying extra pegs to cope with every situation. For example, the only way to get a peg into the ground in my back garden without bending it is to use a chuffing chunky Ti nail.

I carry a mix of pegs. Hilleberg Y (10g) DAC V (12g) & Ti Nail (14g). 4 of each leaving 2 spare on a full pitch. I use a V horizontally to drive a peg in with both hands if needed. I always try for a 45deg angle. However it’s very rare not to be able to find a rock/ implement. I can’t imagine using a peg without a colourful cord attached - they can be difficult to pull out.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Okay, i know i'm a bit tardy posting this but i did have everything before the deadline

Aldi summer sleeping bag £12.99 and 720g
Triwonder1/2 person 3 season double skin tent £56.99 and 1800g (Amazon)
Trespass plastic mallet (Pegisu copy) £ 5.98 and 127g (Amazon)
Lidl first aid kit £ 4.99 and 200g
Aldi Anodised 3 pan set with lids £19.99 and 600g
Aldi head torch £ 2.99 and 100g
Aldi self inflating sleep mat £ 12.99 and 800g
Coleman C500 gas £ 5.50 and 240g (Amazon)
no brand gas burner with piezo ignition £ 7.90 and 87g (Ebay)
Sea to Summit Ti spork £ 7.00 and 18g (Amazon)
Small Towel £ 1.00 and 20g (Wilko)
Orikaso folding plate, cup, bowl £ 4.25 and 80g (Amazon)

total £142.57 and 4792g

So thats everything and under budget, the better pegs from Blacks (al V pegs as against the supplied Al plain skewers) add £4 and save 50g and for me, i'd only take the small pan and lid which saves 375g, the folding bowl stays home too saving 25g, which means that the full kit comes in at £146.57 and 4342g.

The sharp eyed will spot some apparent omissions, no water carrier - i use the bike water bottle, no knife - its on my bike multitool, no kettle - well i've got a lidded pan. On the other hand i've added a headlight and first aid kit, neither of which are essential but i always prefer to have them with me. The luxury item is the Aldi chair at £14.99 and 790g (its not essential so isn't included in the budget targets.)

I've not got photos of everything but here's some of the important bits:-

DSCN7632.JPG
DSCN7639.JPG
DSCN7645.JPG
DSCN7633.JPG
DSCN7097.JPG
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Thistle

Post by Thistle »

I realise this is an old thread but what a great job you did with your budget, Foxyrider!

Did you manage to do any camping with it all? If so, how did you like the tent?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Thistle wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 6:06pm I realise this is an old thread but what a great job you did with your budget, Foxyrider!

Did you manage to do any camping with it all? If so, how did you like the tent?
not as yet - if i can get a suitable steed running i hope to get out with it all this summer.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Thistle

Post by Thistle »

That's great - I'm looking forward to hearing your reports!

I had all the "good" gear a few years back but became ill and never made the trip so sold most of it, but kept the tent. In 2019 I was very generously given a few bits and went on a little tour but hated how long the tent took to put up and take down, so I sold it. Now I'm looking to get back out again but will be on a much lower budget so am grateful for the ideas here.

This really was an inspired thread :D
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Welcome back.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Cowsham wrote: 27 Jul 2020, 9:22pm
As for budget I probably could get my stuff under your limit. I normally take my vango tent but I could make the budget by taking my lidi's Crivit 4 man ( read two man really ) tent -- £35 with a 3000mm hydrostatic flysheet and great bath tub ground sheet. I've proved it in a 45MPH rainstorm last year. Dry as snuff.

This tent is now called Rocktrail 4.1 as far as I can tell as it seems identical ( only seen it in the bag but online assembly video seems to support this )

It was originally £79.99 a few weeks ago but see it now reduced to £49.99. Still considering inflation since the last post about the previous crivit tent it's still great value for money. 3000mm static head fabric 4.8kg with great room inside.
I am here. Where are you?