low budget camping challenge

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
foxyrider

low budget camping challenge

Post by foxyrider »

I've got a lot of camping gear, some quite powsh and expensive, most with at least a nod towards being lightweight whilst at the same time being functional. So i use 2 man tents rather than lighter bivvys, theres a mallet, three piece cutlery set etc, etc,

However, atm i'm far away from all this gear and the camping gear at the German supermarkets sparked an idea (you can tell i'm bored) to put together a working, practical, camp set with a budget of @ £150 and an all up weight under 5kg (5000g). Providing its within budget you can upgrade stuff but the proviso is that you're starting from scratch (so no pulling stuff from your stash!) and it'll be used for a multi day/night trip in August. You must have shelter, sleeping gear and kitchen kit included (ability to make a hot meal and a cuppa), beyond that, providing its within price and weight budget, worlds your oyster. You can take part virtually or physically but not a mix of the two.

That's the gauntlet thrown, you have until July 31st to complete the challenge.

I'm not looking at panniers etc, just the camping element, it doesn't need to last years but must be more than single use.

So far, for my physical entry i've got the following:

Aldi summer sleeping bag £12.99 and 720g
Triwonder1/2 person 3 season double skin tent £56.99 and 1800g (Amazon)
Trespass plastic mallet (Pegisu copy) £ 5.98 and 127g (Amazon)

I've also splashed out on some better pegs, all of £6 from Blacks and the luxury item is the Aldi chair at £14.99 and 790g (its not essential so isn't included in the budget targets.) Thats £82 spent and @ 2650g weight so £68 left to spend and a generous 2350g of weight.

Left to get:

Sleeping mat
cooking gear
cutlery/crockery
wash gear

pictures and further purchases to follow :wink:

Let battle commence! :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
simonineaston

Re: low budget camping challenge

Post by simonineaston »

forget all the gear associated with making your own food - just go to France! :wink:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Well, you don't need a mallet that's for sure, so spend the £6 on something else.
In 35 years of cycle camping I've never used a mallet for anything.
There's always a rock or lump of concrete lying around somewhere.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

rualexander wrote:Well, you don't need a mallet that's for sure, so spend the £6 on something else.

disagree.
My plastic mallet is a life/sanity saver.
Sweep
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

A mallet is not required at all for any reason!
A simple Methylated spirit stove is obvious for cooking, followed by cheap (and nasty) pans from a Supermarket!
John
whoof

Post by whoof »

Stove: Beer can cost: zero
Pans : The Poundland often do small pots and pans for £1 each. I got a tiny non stick pan that's great for one egg, I've also cooked saute potatoes in it. I unscrewed the handle and used my triang one. Or you could use a piece of doubled over tin foil as pot handle.
Pot shield: Tin foil wrapped around a piece of cardboard cost, zero.

You can also get some chisels from Poundland.

Edit: sleeping mat: bubble wrap!
PH

Post by PH »

I started camping with reluctance, it was getting harder to string a series of hostels together and I couldn't afford to get away much using B&B's.
The budget was the savings over B&B's for 10 nights, the rational being that I'd use it for that long and then if I gave it away it wouldn't owe me anything. I surprised myself by finding I liked it and it soon became my first choice. I upgraded the kit over the next three years, sometimes it took a few goes to get it right, but once I'd done so those items have all lasted me at least 15 years.
I bought that initial setup on a single trip to Millets, now I'd go to Go Outdoors as it's just around the corner (For the time being) and has a better choice. A quick look and this is what I might choose without too much research
Tent - Vango NXY 200, £59, 2.17 kg
Sleeping bag - Snooze rectangle sleeping bag used as a quilt, £9, 0.88 kg (I'm a warm sleeper and don't get on with bags, which was an expensive lesson)
Liner - Eurohike rectangle sleeping bag liner, £8, 0.3 kg
Mat - OEX self inflating, 3/4 mat, £20, 0.7kg
Cooking - OEX Kuju Micro Stove Set, stove, pot, bowls, £35, 0.34kg
utensils - HG plastic cutlery £2 weight unknown, maybe 150g

I'd leave Go and visit Decathlon for the trek pillow, £13 and 0.17kg, I'd use this whatever the price and weight, my favorite camping pillow

I've spent £146 (Plus £5 for the GO card if I didn't already have one)
Weight 4.71 kg
Adding some sort of hanging tent light and a washing line would still keep me under budget, £ & kg.
I could have gone a bit cheaper and/or a bit lighter, but that's a level of kit that I'd probably be happy using. Anyone needing a warmer sleeping bag might need to compromise elsewhere. My own kit is about 7 kg, and i wouldn't like to think of the cost of replacing it. I've gone for a bit more space and comfort, choosing the items based on how they suit me rather than the weight.
ossie

Post by ossie »

rualexander wrote:Well, you don't need a mallet that's for sure, so spend the £6 on something else.

My plastic mallet saves me looking around for rocks and also has a handy bit for pulling the peg out... worth its weight, which is minimal.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

It’s all very well and good being a cheapskate , but you cannot best quality equipment. Hilleberg tent, thermarest mat. Down sleeping bag and a decidedly expensive stove.
Do what you want but each to his own.
Johm
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

leftpoole wrote:It’s all very well and good being a cheapskate , but you cannot best quality equipment. Hilleberg tent, thermarest mat. Down sleeping bag and a decidedly expensive stove.
Johm

but thats not the quest of the challenge. i have a bunch of silly priced kit, this is an exercise in getting everything for the price of the sleep mat!
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

ossie wrote:

My plastic mallet saves me looking around for rocks and also has a handy bit for pulling the peg out... worth its weight, which is minimal.

which is one reason i always carry one. I've camped on loads of sites where finding anything bigger than a pebble wasn't happening!
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

Why go for the whole tent thing? A Bivvy Bag & Tarp can be both lighter & cheaper.
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

leftpoole wrote:It’s all very well and good being a cheapskate , but you cannot best quality equipment. Hilleberg tent, thermarest mat. Down sleeping bag and a decidedly expensive stove.
Johm

Whilst I agree with you about not being a cheapskate, there is a law of diminishing returns with camping equipment as with everything else. Yes Hilleberg tents are superb but IMHO they're overkill for most cycle tourists unless they make a habit of camping on a mountain in a winter gale. Most of us don't do that and a more modestly priced tent will serve well for many years. Having said that I wouldn't feel confident touring with a really, really cheap tent but I've also been bitten by expensive ones. In 1998 I paid about £300 IRC for a Saunders tent which was utter junk. It leaked like a sieve and the inner's ground sheet wasn't even remotely waterproof.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

leftpoole wrote:A mallet is not required at all for any reason!
A simple Methylated spirit stove is obvious for cooking, followed by cheap (and nasty) pans from a Supermarket!
John

you can do better than that - use of those wood burners that work nicely with twigs. I was trying one out last summer and quite inpressed. meths still costs money, twigs dont

one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-Outdoor-Wood-Burning-Camping-Stove-and-Blowtube-Set-Picnic-Backpacking/303572525094?hash=item46ae552026:g:uAUAAOSwsqdexCvS

mine came with a little dish for those I think solid fuel things
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I have a mountain warehouse pan and kettle. I've used them for about 12 years. Very cheap, but I don't think they do the pans now.
John