low budget camping challenge

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
simonineaston

Re: low budget camping challenge

Post by simonineaston »

Ive got a good deal on dehydrated water
I wish.... !
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I've taken this on a few trips and it's been handy. Doesn't weigh a ton but has just enough weight to be useful.
I might chop the handle down on mine though. They're quite long.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07F3W666X/ ... iFbK6AV41W
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

do any take a collapsable trowel for burying stuff?. I got one from some where can a bit heavy but then it has to dig holes? could also do duty for knocking tent pegs in or self defence against the wild life
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

mercalia wrote:do any take a collapsable trowel for burying stuff?. I got one from some where can a bit heavy but then it has to dig holes? could also do duty for knocking tent pegs in or self defence against the wild life

Which wildlife do you think's going to attack you (other than ticks or midges)?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Mallet?
I’ve always found a stone if needed :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

We don't carry a mallet, and we've often had problems finding a suitable object.

Jonathan
hoppy58

Post by hoppy58 »

Instead of a mallet, I use a rubber (cupped) tip from a walking pole, placed upside down, to push pegs in. It has a metal insert inside which prevents the pegs from tearing through the rubber, and the flared rubber end provides a comfortable support for your hand when pushing the pegs in. Works really well for y or straight pegs, but looped pegs won’t fit in the ‘cup’. The tip weighs next to nothing and fits in the peg bag.
Attachments
07F33C96-9C2C-4A54-873F-3AFFF2CFFC69.jpeg
F85E3ACD-CDA9-428B-A6CC-45B29C2EE086.jpeg
D50442F4-54BA-486B-8CC5-1AEE8B39860B.jpeg
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

hoppy58 wrote:Instead of a mallet, I use a rubber (cupped) tip from a walking pole, placed upside down, to push pegs in. It has a metal insert inside which prevents the pegs from tearing through the rubber, and the flared rubber end provides a comfortable support for your hand when pushing the pegs in. Works really well for y or straight pegs, but looped pegs won’t fit in the ‘cup’. The tip weighs next to nothing and fits in the peg bag.

That's a really good idea :)

Sorry to go off topic but I've got some pegs like the one in your photos but haven't used them much yet. How are you finding yours perform?
hoppy58

Post by hoppy58 »

To be honest I have only recently bought these and haven’t tried them properly, but they seem ok, especially if you put them in at an angle.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I have 9g square section aluminium pegs that look like that. Highly Recommended.

Jonathan
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

Jdsk wrote:I have 9g square section aluminium pegs that look like that. Highly Recommended.

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathon :)
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

PaulaT wrote:
hoppy58 wrote:Instead of a mallet, I use a rubber (cupped) tip from a walking pole, placed upside down, to push pegs in. It has a metal insert inside which prevents the pegs from tearing through the rubber, and the flared rubber end provides a comfortable support for your hand when pushing the pegs in. Works really well for y or straight pegs, but looped pegs won’t fit in the ‘cup’. The tip weighs next to nothing and fits in the peg bag.

That's a really good idea :)

Sorry to go off topic but I've got some pegs like the one in your photos but haven't used them much yet. How are you finding yours perform?

I like that idea too -- and I have spare tips for standard nhs alloy adjustable sticks which are a little bigger and think they might fit my plastic pegs ( they're like angle section and very strong and light ) which I like to use.
I am here. Where are you?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote:We don't carry a mallet, and we've often had problems finding a suitable object.

But we've just put up the tents and remembered that on the last tour we took one of these.

It's a plumbing T piece, mass 18g.

Worth trying.

Jonathan
Attachments
IMG_8553.png
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

There's bound to be something that we carry that has a duel use one being to push in the pegs like that T piece. ( great idea BTW )
I am here. Where are you?
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

Jdsk wrote:But we've just put up the tents and remembered that on the last tour we took one of these. It's a plumbing T piece, mass 18g.

Same here.

But then I blow the weight savings on carrying extra pegs to cope with every situation. For example, the only way to get a peg into the ground in my back garden without bending it is to use a chuffing chunky Ti nail.

And I use walking stick ferrules on the bottom of my folding camping chair, to stop it sinking into soft ground.