Tents for large people? and a new cotton one from Alpkit

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
mercalia

Tents for large people? and a new cotton one from Alpkit

Post by mercalia »

Now these are what I call tents?

https://life.spectator.co.uk/articles/the-best-large-tents-for-summer-2020/?

There's only one of interest to people here?
Last edited by mercalia on 21 Jul 2020, 7:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardfm

Re: Tents for large people?

Post by richardfm »

mercalia wrote:Now these are what I call tents?

https://life.spectator.co.uk/articles/the-best-large-tents-for-summer-2020/?

There's only one of interest to people here?

I don't understand the question marks at the end of your statements.

I don't think any of them would be of interest to cyclists.
Richard M
Cardiff
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Oh, I don't know... I've just bought an Nordisk cotton jobbie with the express intention of using it as a base-camp tent (he sez, as if he were Christian Bonnington, or some such hero). I was amused to note that the pegs alone, weigh more than my usual touring tent...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

simonineaston wrote:
Oh, I don't know... I've just bought an Nordisk cotton jobbie with the express intention of using it as a base-camp tent (he sez, as if he were Christian Bonnington, or some such hero). I was amused to note that the pegs alone, weigh more than my usual touring tent...

There really should be a 'like' button. I appreciated your post but didn't have anything to say. However, I then Googled Chris Bonnington. For years I have been under the misapprehension that Chris is short for Christopher in this instance, but now know better.
Richard M
Cardiff
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Excellent News!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

cycle camping = cycleing + camping. well some people get there in cars and take the bike along to ride around? I would if I had a car. I bet thats what a Guardian or Spectator would understand by the term? some nice tents there.

The Snugpak Journey Quad? good 2 person tent ( 4 people yeah right if you are sardines)
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

mercalia wrote:cycle camping = cycleing + camping. well some people get there in cars and take the bike along to ride around? I would if I had a car. I bet thats what a Guardian or Spectator would understand by the term? some nice tents there.

I still don't understand statements with question marks.
Richard M
Cardiff
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

richardfm wrote:
mercalia wrote:cycle camping = cycleing + camping. well some people get there in cars and take the bike along to ride around? I would if I had a car. I bet thats what a Guardian or Spectator would understand by the term? some nice tents there.

I still don't understand statements with question marks.

Maybe mercalia is typing in an Australian accent?

(We have a Primus Bifrost Y6 family tent, it comes in its own holdall which I'd guess is a good 60 litres or so, probably more. Great tent, I like it a lot, but wouldn't take it on the bike, though we have taken bikes on the car on occasions we took the tent)

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

Maybe the title should be "Tents for People with Large Cars". The Sungpack at 5.4kg / 11.9lbs hardly falls into the cycle camping catergory. As for the Vango Kapalua, 51.5kg. Throw in the beds, sleeping bags, camp chairs, lights, a cooker, a cool box and probably the kitchen sink and you're into trailer country if you got an average car and a family of four.

Lightweight tent or Bivvy & Tarp for me please.

Lastly, a salutary lesson for those considering this type of "sealed sided tents" and the cooking arrangements.
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/0 ... mWtxZfwmtU
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

simonineaston wrote: I've just bought an Nordisk cotton jobbie with the express intention of using it as a base-camp tent (he sez, as if he were Christian Bonnington, or some such hero). I was amused to note that the pegs alone, weigh more than my usual touring tent...

If you set up a base camp and leave it, remember to put up a large sign saying you'll be back within x days. Otherwise someone might be tempted to send pictures to their local Facebook group along with an explanation of how they kindly "tidied up" your nice new tent. :lol:
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well strange things. Alpkit have got a new COTTON ROUNDHOUSE tent £500. I wonder who they are targeting?

talk about a throw back to olde times?

https://alpkit.com/collections/tents/products/roundhouse?

looks really nice though? just dont kick the central pole down over night :lol:

for two people they say.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

mercalia wrote:well strange things. Alpkit have got a new COTTON ROUNDHOUSE tent £500. I wonder who they are targeting?

talk about a throw back to olde times?

https://alpkit.com/collections/tents/products/roundhouse?

looks really nice though? just dont kick the central pole down over night :lol:

for two people they say.

An issue with this sort of thing is you could pay less money for something you could easily stand up in more than one spot in, and if you're in the class of tent where you're not going to carry it anywhere ISTM you might as well get generous standing room.

Having said that, moving people to festival tents that aren't considered disposable one-shots is a Good Thing.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...