Different tarp set-ups

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Sweep

Different tarp set-ups

Post by Sweep »

It's a varied interesting world so stress I'm not complaining/mocking, but I'm intrigued by the many varied set-ups you see demonstrated.

Most are way beyond me I fear and rather put me in mind of origami.

I just use the one I can master - what I suppose is called an A frame with a ridge-line - suspended from two trees/2 poles, or one of each, then guyed out.

I like tarps when freecamping as I can enjoy/experience my surroundings and with a free view in all directions out of the bottom can allay any fears of being crept up on.

In particular I suppose I'm intrigued by the single sheet style - kind of 45 degrees or higher where you effectively sleep behind a wall. Obscuring your view and I assume meaning you have to have a good idea about where any rain might arrive from.

Educate me folks.

Am open to arguments in favour of the to-me somewhat extraordinary constructions.
Sweep
mercalia

Re: Different tarp set-ups

Post by mercalia »

my tarp- tent comes basicaly as an A frame but with ends added on. I even made some poles
tarp tent
tarp tent

[youtube]vLprJy8kxMw[/youtube]
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I used two trekking poles, mostly carried in my rucksack as I rarely used poles to walk, to hold up my tarp when I used to use one. Different pitches according to expected weather.

Bad weather is what I call a cave pitch. A frame with one pole at the front. Higher in better weather, lower in bad weather. Behind the the tarp is pegged out directly to the ground. At the rear the last pegs were one loop in from each corner with the corners tucked in. I then used a lifter loop, one of the external Ridgeline loops, with a longer guyline with a clove hitch to the top of a pole then down to the ground pulling the end up a bit. This gives foot room and room for storage and overall useable length. Guylines out the front obviously to keep it that. If the wind builds overnight I would just lower the pole height and pull the corners out further to make it more wind shedding

I've slept in that on top of Thornthwaite Crags near the beacon in a storm with 60mph winds predicted apparently. I looked out through horizontal rain at a hilleberg atko end on to the wind. That tent flysheet was being blown down so much against its occupant and the centre pole such that I could see the open mouth through the flysheet with no each strong gusts!!!

Second pitch was a kind of a frame with one side to the ground and the other ending high up such that only a narrow band folded down towards the ground. A fair weather ship.

Third option was flying v where one corner was pegged out then the other corner had a full height pole lifting it up. Pegged out with guylines from the pole tarp loop and then the two side corners. A fair weather option but offers rain protection to the upper body and kit while bivvy bag protects the rest of your sleeping bag. You can sit up in it in the rain too.

Fourth pitch is a frame with the sides to the ground or off the ground as per your want.

There are other pitches but these are what I know well enough to use in bad weather or the dark. Some can be modified to be more weather resistant if it n changes. For example the a frame with one high side can be turned into cave type or standard a frame in the dark and beach wind/rain. The cave pitch can be lowered from inside in the dark without a torch purely by touch. I've done that and I'm shortsighted so without my glasses I can't see anything even with a head torch.

Tarp use is purely about going out there and playing with it. In your garden at first then out in the hills. Find what suits you and simply practice it until you know it very well.
whoof

Post by whoof »

I usually pitch as an A-frame between two trees.

I have also pitched as a lean-to, one long edge against the top wall and the other pegged to the ground.

I've bought an extendable pole to use if the was nothing else available. Pole pitched at the entrance in an A shape and then the back tapering to the ground. So far only tried it in the garden. If I wanted a bit more height towards the back I could try the thing where you take off your font wheel and then put this across the rear 'entrance'. A bit like the first picture on the link but that would be the rear and the lowest point.

https://alpkit.com/blogs/spotlight/be-tarpsmart

I've also pitched it vertically. Sounds a bit odd but we were ~ 30 metres off a foot-path in some woods. It certainly wasn't busy but every now and then a jogger or dog walker went past. I put up the tarp as a wall and then we set up behind it. I tested what it looked like from the path and I could barely see it and I knew it was there.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I pitched at a tarn above Grasmere not far from the path. Taking a walk up the hill we came back down and looking from above about 45 degrees down to the pitch we couldn't see it until 50m from it. That was despite my blue and yellow rucksack, blue bivvy bag and other bright items. The tarp was a flying v pitch too with a high top part.

Tarps are great for stealthy camping.
nsew

Post by nsew »

Much depends on the size of tarp, duration of camp and the elements. There are relatively few 2.5m x 1.5m configurations compared to a 3m x 3m. Above the tree line requires carrying pole(s). Otherwise it couldn’t be simpler to select and shape fallen limb(s). 3x3 is ideal but carries a weight penalty, or a significant price penalty to reduce the weight. I can’t bring myself to spend the money so it’s a basic solo tarp and two or three basic configurations.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks to all for input so far and to nsew for clarifying options relating to size.

I do have a 3x3 but it is a tad heavy and I think I would only suspend it from trees because of that - it is nice and large as an A frame set-up.

I do also have a lighter 250x170 which I have used between two fairly light poles.

I think to tell the truth I will keep things simple and stick to the A frame set-up - it's what I am used to and I do rather like the visibility it gives me.

With my army bivi I should be OK for rain.

And as I think was stated upthread, blasting sideways wind/rain should be less of an issue in woods.
Sweep
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

Sweep wrote:...I do have a 3x3 but it is a tad heavy....

I use a DD SuperLight Tarp 3 x 2.9m. It packs down to about the size of a bag of suggar and it weighs in at less than 500grm so they don't have to be heavy. https://www.ddhammocks.com/product/DD_Superlight_Tarp
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

NickWi wrote:

I use a DD SuperLight Tarp 3 x 2.9m. It packs down to about the size of a bag of suggar and it weighs in at less than 500grm so they don't have to be heavy. https://www.ddhammocks.com/product/DD_Superlight_Tarp

my 3x3 is DD but not the superlight.
weight listed as 790g.
Does feel reassuringly tough though.
Sweep
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

You should see what a DD 4x4m looks like when pitched. We took one on a bike tour for a large awning/wet weather shelter for cooking. Added three hefty but light poles for support. Was not too heavy for carrying on bikes, not what I'd choose for carrying on my back though.
nsew

Post by nsew »

NickWi wrote:

That’s a good size, weight and price. A larger tarp (4x4) can also negate the need for a circa 500g bivvy bag. So many permutations with a tarp set-up. You Tube has them all and some ‘out there’ characters that know their stuff.