Rise in wild camping hits beauty spots

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
mercalia

Rise in wild camping hits beauty spots

Post by mercalia »

seems general population is doing "wild camping" as the real campsites are over flowing.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jul/19/it-was-like-a-bomb-had-hit-an-off-licence-rise-in-wild-camping-hits-beauty-spots?

giving us a bad name.

this is serious as wild camping could be made illegal in ways it isnt at the moment?
Cyril Haearn

Re: Rise in wild camping hits beauty spots

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vocab
Stealth camping?
Secret camping?

Camping crime?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
wearwell

Post by wearwell »

We need more french style "municiple" campsites all over the place, with low charges and a defined minimum standard of services. Though unfortunately they seem to be being privatised in France and greatly favour mega camper vans, getting to be like industrial lorry parks. Maybe vehicle/van parking should be separate from tent camping areas and so on etc
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Get yours now cheap ad chips £13.60 ideal for your wild camping/festival/rave up, kick the virus into the long grass :)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114310241134
Attachments
462261D9-C4EC-4118-A8C9-905C9901CBB5.png
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

The one person actually looks quite interesting rather than a bivvy bag?
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

wearwell wrote:We need more french style "municiple" campsites all over the place, with low charges and a defined minimum standard of services. Though unfortunately they seem to be being privatised in France and greatly favour mega camper vans, getting to be like industrial lorry parks. Maybe vehicle/van parking should be separate from tent camping areas and so on etc

Personally I'd like to see smaller, basic sites catering mainly cyclists and backpackers. Or even a directory of landowners who will let you camp in a corner of their field providing you knock on the door and ask them first.

I think there may well be a backlash against trespass camping.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I'm hearing more and more about basic sites, generally termed nearly wild camping. This organisation seem to want a membership fee, https://nearlywildcamping.org/
There seem to be other lists
https://www.campsites.co.uk/search/nearly-wild-camping

https://coolcamping.com/campsites/nearly-wild-camping

I suspect the hard part would be stinging enough together to make a tour if you didn't want to take the fully wild plunge.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

The article mentions the National Trust calling it 'fly camping' - it seems to have come from a similar attitude that allows people to think it's ok to leave a tent and lots of rubbish at a music festival. And to chuck disposable masks and gloves anywhere.
Sometimes the human race is very disappointing.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Bad news about Kielder in that article.
Bee meaning to go.
Sweep
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

This morning after an overnight bivvy I took great pleasure in leaving no trace, As I expect all on these pages do. It is distressing that the antics of a small number for this year only might hurt us all.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 20 Jul 2020, 2:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

Oldjohnw wrote:This morning after an overnight bivvy I took great pleasure in leaving no trace, As I expect all on here pages do. It is distressing that the antics of a small number for this year only might hurt us all.

Sadly I think it's us who are the minority these days.
whoof

Post by whoof »

mercalia wrote:seems general population is doing "wild camping"

this is serious as wild camping could be made illegal in ways it isnt at the moment?

Indeed perhaps this will result in driving a car being made illegal in ways it isn't at the moment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53469337
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

"there were eight tents, 16 chairs, eight sleeping bags, a duvet, pillows, a huge amount of booze containers – and there must have been at least 100 nitrous gas containers.”

I don't get it....why buy camping gear and not just use it once and bin it, but leave it for someone else to clear up.
That's wrong in so many ways.
We're just parasites
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

The government already has plans to make trespass criminal. Whilst the proposals were aimed at travellers they can as always be widened. People who supported anti-traveller action need to be careful what they wish for.

Current events demonstrate that we can demonise a minority group and be as bad ourselves. Cyclists excepted, of course.
John
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Slowroad wrote:The article mentions the National Trust calling it 'fly camping' - it seems to have come from a similar attitude that allows people to think it's ok to leave a tent and lots of rubbish at a music festival. And to chuck disposable masks and gloves anywhere.
Sometimes the human race is very disappointing.

Completely moronic would be a more apt term for the likes of such people,they simply have no consideration of care for anything but self.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden