Rise in wild camping hits beauty spots

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
pjclinch

Re: Rise in wild camping hits beauty spots

Post by pjclinch »

arnsider wrote:The current "Glamping" craze is a downward path and could be a death nail for proper campers. Places like Wall End, Langdale are now no more than pop up towns , full of all manner of junk, dragged up the M6 in ever bigger 4x4s and "leisure vehicles" The over night fees will rocket and what was once a budget hoiliday for young people of limited means will be just another catch penny.

Compare and contrast with e.g. Mongolian or Bedouin encampments where they really are "popup towns", have been for centuries, and quite untenable without pack animals to carry the tentage. I would suggest that inhabitants of such might find your ideas of what camping is all about to be a bit weird and niche.

Young people of limited means can still camp minimally and cheap or free if they want. And folk that want to go glamping can do that too, if they want.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:Gawd save us from purists who think everyone else should be as puritanical as they are :?

You're still sore from being drummed out of the Scouts, aren't you? :D
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

IME the folk who go 'Glamping' have no desire to do anything less.They need/want a full sized bed,a log burner and a solid floor.I very much doubt you'd find them in a tiny two-manner by a tarn in the Lakes!Certain areas have always been abused by folk camping.In many cases it's the experienced or seasoned camper who's at fault.There are bad apples in every barrel.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Yes, pretty much that, applied universally /\/\
pwa

Post by pwa »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:IME the folk who go 'Glamping' have no desire to do anything less.They need/want a full sized bed,a log burner and a solid floor.I very much doubt you'd find them in a tiny two-manner by a tarn in the Lakes!Certain areas have always been abused by folk camping.In many cases it's the experienced or seasoned camper who's at fault.There are bad apples in every barrel.

When we took the kids to Limousin all those years back we booked several types of accommodation to make it a holiday of contrasts. Taking the family estate car with the tandems on the roof, we camped for one night part way down France, using our 4 person Hilleberg tent. The next day way got to the campsite in Limousin, a very rustic and lovely place with lots of donkeys you could take on hikes through the forests. For the first few nights we stayed in our tent, the kids knowing that we were then going to transfer to one of the lovely yurts for a few nights. They found that transition exciting. Then on our way back up through France we broke the journey with a few days stay in a rustic gite. Together with all the outdoor activities we did, which included cycling, hiking (with and without donkey accompaniment), paddling in streams and kayaking, the different types of accommodation gave it more life. But it isn't the type of bed you sleep in that makes you at one with the countryside, it is what is in your head.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Gawd save us from purists who think everyone else should be as puritanical as they are :?

You got it in one,me not being prepared for what was expected I got all tied in knots.
But I think not remembering if it was a two or three fingered salute that did it in the end :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

arnsider wrote:[...] and anyway, the best place for anyone to learn to camp is the Scout association. I make no aplogys for that. [...]

And I make no apologies for saying that, in my experience, Scouts is also a place to suffer serious injury from uncontrolled bullying and hazing. The teaching militarism and ritual kowtowing to the establishment to children is an affront to our moral culture that shames our nation, plus of course there is the age-old problem that anyone who is keen on ordering children around should probably be treated with suspicion, while those who would lead well are often the most reluctant.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

You got it in one,me not being prepared for what was expected I got all tied in knots.
But I think not remembering if it was a two or three fingered salute that did it in the end :shock:

Shame, at least you got to meet Baden Powell eh? :D
pwa

Post by pwa »

mjr wrote:
arnsider wrote:[...] and anyway, the best place for anyone to learn to camp is the Scout association. I make no aplogys for that. [...]

And I make no apologies for saying that, in my experience, Scouts is also a place to suffer serious injury from uncontrolled bullying and hazing. The teaching militarism and ritual kowtowing to the establishment to children is an affront to our moral culture that shames our nation, plus of course there is the age-old problem that anyone who is keen on ordering children around should probably be treated with suspicion, while those who would lead well are often the most reluctant.

The two blokes who have been the backbone of the Scouts locally for the last fifteen or twenty years have not been in any way "militaristic" or bullying. They have just enjoyed getting kids out having adventures in the big outdoors. Either you weren't in the Scouts or it was different in your area, at that time, but it isn't as you describe where we live today.

My kids are now young adults but they still laugh when they recall some of the funny mishaps that went on when the Scouts went on treks or camped. And they didn't grow up to be automatons, they grew up to be individuals with their own take on things, but also with a strong sense of social responsibility and kindness.
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

mjr wrote:"And I make no apologies for saying that, in my experience, Scouts is also a place to suffer serious injury from uncontrolled bullying and hazing. The teaching militarism and ritual kowtowing to the establishment to children is an affront to our moral culture that shames our nation, plus of course there is the age-old problem that anyone who is keen on ordering children around should probably be treated with suspicion, while those who would lead well are often the most reluctant."

Crikey! I pulled your chain didn't I LOL
Well I am turned seventy and I would not have missed my scouting for owt. Rough and tumble is what growing up is all about or was back in better times.
Thankfully our leaders were all family men and women and the salt of the earth, but then cycnicism rules now and everyone is a suspect and that's why decent people have withdrawn from running youth organisations in droves. You talk about Moral Culture and Shaming our nation! Really!
Last edited by Vorpal on 2 Dec 2020, 11:46am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: homophobic slur
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:You're still sore from being drummed out of the Scouts, aren't you? :D

A rum lad was old Baden Powell :shock:
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
reohn2 wrote:You got it in one,me not being prepared for what was expected I got all tied in knots.

Rough and tumble, I am assuming? :wink:
pwa

Post by pwa »

Back in the 70s my brother went on a Scout camp where, in the middle of the night, one of the lads offered some chocolates he had to one of the others, and that boy ate his way through them, one after another. But they were laxative chocolates! And the greedy kid ended up having violent diarrhoea in the tent, forcing the poor scout leader to pack up and call the parents to retrieve their kids in the early hours of the morning. At the time I was in my teens and I thought this was very funny.

(Hulton Park if I remember rightly)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Shame, at least you got to meet Baden Powell eh? :D

Rough and tumble, I am assuming? :wink:

That could incorporate a wide spectrum of activities :shock:
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:Back in the 70s my brother went on a Scout camp where, in the middle of the night, one of the lads offered some chocolates he had to one of the others, and that boy ate his way through them, one after another. But they were laxative chocolates! And the greedy kid ended up having violent diarrhoea in the tent, forcing the poor scout leader to pack up and call the parents to retrieve their kids in the early hours of the morning. At the time I was in my teens and I thought this was very funny.

(Hulton Park if I remember rightly)

That could be described as a tough rumble :lol: :lol: :lol:
W H Auden