Freecamping New Forest

Post by Sweep »

Anyone ever done it?

If so, experiences?
Sweep
hamster

Re: Freecamping New Forest

Post by hamster »

This year, for reasons beyond my comprehension, the Forestry Commission (or whatever they call themselves) have decided not to open any of their campsites. Local traders are up in arms as it will damage their season severely.

However there are definitely increased patrols of likely areas. Much of the camping has been of the numpty variety, pitching close to cars and roads (e.g. at Hatchet Pond). There do appear to be camera traps around too, for example in Holly Hatch Enclosure.

Usual rules apply - arrive late, leave early, don't be a moron. The fire risk is extreme at present so think very hard before using a stove at all. Most of the local cafes are now open.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

what about coastal areas? any one camped there, where there are no officials looking on?

these local lockdowns are going to make it harder to know where you can go? leave one county and enter another and you then breaking the law?
whoof

Post by whoof »

In the NW of it. I rode down a traffic free path for a few kms and about halfway down it looked quiet is was middle of summer, good weather and mid-afternoon. Went to the opposite end of the off-road section and had something to eat at a pub. About 8.30pm started back to the mid-point and then pushed a few hundred metres down a footpath into the woods and then another 50 metres into the trees and set up my tarp.

Didn't hear or see a soul until about 6.30 next morning when I was packing up. There was a jogger with a dog on another path about 100 metres below where I was, they didn't see me.
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

mercalia wrote:what about coastal areas? any one camped there, where there are no officials looking on?

these local lockdowns are going to make it harder to know where you can go? leave one county and enter another and you then breaking the law?

A lot depends on how much gets locked down. So far only Leicester has had the "stay at home" rule re-imposed as far as I know. The rues i Northern England seem to be targetting different households meeting indoors.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Sweep wrote:Anyone ever done it?

If so, experiences?

I have numerous times living in the area.
No chance this year because Rangers and what can only be called 'spies' are operating thankfully!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

leftpoole wrote:
Sweep wrote:Anyone ever done it?

If so, experiences?

I have numerous times living in the area.
No chance this year because Rangers and what can only be called 'spies' are operating thankfully!

These Rangers are around at night?

What do they do if they find you?

I should have said:

I am thinking of second half of September.

I will be using a bivi and tarp, no tent.

I will only be doing it for two days, 3 max and I plan to camp late and everything will be taken down early morning and left clean - nothing will be left erected in any spot during the day.

I should also have said (tho you lot are too sensible I think) not to suggest specific spots in the thread - more than happy to have them in PMs though.

PS - who are the Spies?

And why do you say "thankfully?" - I will be alone and leaving no mess.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

hamster wrote:There do appear to be camera traps around too, for example in Holly Hatch Enclosure..

Can you say more about the camera traps?

What to look for?

What happens if you are caught on camera of a late night lying on the ground in a bivi?
Sweep
hamster

Post by hamster »

I know they are there - goodness knows what happens if they video you...it may be more about flytipping than anything else.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I hear they have trained the foxes and badgers to look for campers :wink: