Despicable camping

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Oldjohnw

Despicable camping

Post by Oldjohnw »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000ld7p

Listen to the first item. Where do these idiots come from? Hopefully it will last this season only: the danger is that the rest of us will be penalised.
John
Tim Holman

Re: Despicable camping

Post by Tim Holman »

I heard this programme today on Radio Scotland. Despicable is a good worg for it. Will it persist? That's the question. But we all have a role to play in challenging the kind of behaviour described. All us old fogeys have to stand up and be counted
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

maybe you would like to summarise as you have to have an account and I dont. and wont
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

mercalia wrote:maybe you would like to summarise as you have to have an account and I dont. and wont

Me neither but it worked. Basically it mentioned the modern habit of people to behave as consumers and nothing else: littering, cutting down trees, starting uncontrollable fires and "toiletting" irresponsibly. Behaving like pigs, in other words. Unsurprising, unfortunately .
Have we got time for another cuppa?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Freedom without responsibility never turns out well for all.
Describing these people as pigs is an afront to pigs IMV.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

reohn2 wrote:Freedom without responsibility never turns out well for all.

+1

I think this surge in whatever-you-want-to-call-it camping is fuelled by various YouTube channels where they set up camp, vandalise woodland (they call it "bushcraft"), light fires, incinerate some meat, consume large amounts of alcohol and generally behave on camera like juvenile delinquents.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Neither education nor facilities should be needed to stop people doing their tents etc.
John
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

The simple answer will be to fence off car parking areas and make every road a Clearway.
I’ve read some landowners in Scotland have already fenced off some traditional parking areas. Of course it’s upset some who claim access and claim landowners must have been planning it for months. I disagree, if I’ve seen a problem a fence will sort then I could have a crew there in the morning erecting it.
We have a bothy near me which was constantly getting trashed the FC erected barriers at the start of the road leading up to it. The trashing stopped immediately.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

PaulaT wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Freedom without responsibility never turns out well for all.

+1

I think this surge in whatever-you-want-to-call-it camping is fuelled by various YouTube channels where they set up camp, vandalise woodland (they call it "bushcraft"), light fires, incinerate some meat, consume large amounts of alcohol and generally behave on camera like juvenile delinquents.

I don't think that classes as bushcraft. I didn't see the clip but if it's like what you've described I'm afraid it's not bushcraft. To find that I suggest you pay a visit n to the bushcraft UK website to read what bushcraft is about. You'll probably find plenty of posts criticizing people who act like you've described, quite rightly too!!

That forum BTW has a few Scottish based regulars and the issues are well known around loch Lomond area among others. They call them Neds I believe. Other phrases are Weegies because they think they're people from Glasgow out for a few beers and a party by the loch. Calling those types bushcrafters is not much better than calling drug dealers who use bikes to distribute cyclists. They're tantamount to criminals IMHO.

Camping is site based, wild camping is awat from others in the hills and remote places and lazy, ignorant camping is what this is. Bushcraft is the skills of the outdoors and associated skills. It's about responsible use of the outdoors and responsible activities in the outdoors. Can't do that and leave rubbish or damage around the place.

Firewood is available as dry, deadwood for fires so no need to cut or break down green, living wood which isn't the best for fires. Pack it in pack it out. Leave the road to find a discrete location for camps. Camping by the road really isn't great. Having said that I've done so in a paid for campsite by a road and by a stream near by a bridge on Skye. By the time we left there was no sign of our camping. Although it was a popular wildcamp by car spot there were no fire rings or other sign of irresponsible camping. No trees so perhaps that's why.
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

Tangled Metal wrote:I don't think that classes as bushcraft. I didn't see the clip but if it's like what you've described I'm afraid it's not bushcraft.

Whether or not it's bushcraft doesn't actually matter. They regard their actions as bushcraft and so attempt to justify their behaviour.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

PaulaT wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:I don't think that classes as bushcraft. I didn't see the clip but if it's like what you've described I'm afraid it's not bushcraft.

Whether or not it's bushcraft doesn't actually matter. They regard their actions as bushcraft and so attempt to justify their behaviour.

So another case of ignorant Muppets claiming something that's not true. Still isn't a good reason to believe them or repeat it IMHO.