mercalia

Dartmoor: WildCamping banned for 47 days

Post by mercalia »

Just heard this on the BBC World Tonight at 10pm radio 4
whoof

Re: Dartmoor: WildCamping banned for 47 days

Post by whoof »

possibly only one area.
Current rules say small tents, no groups, no fires and no littering.
These rules have not been enforced.
People have been ignoring these one article says large tents are being used and then abandoned, groups of up to 70 have been gathering, 50 fires lit in a 500 metres stretch of river bank and loads of litter.
So they have introduced a rule banning camping.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Right by my pals holiday home...Bellever. The ban is for 27 days from Friday

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
climo

Post by climo »

Let's hope it's enforced
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Been camping on dartmoor since the early seventies :)
Specifically used to camp on the edge of Bellever forest, but out of sight, whilst Ten Tors training.
I think the bylaws say that you have to be 500 metres from a dwelling and a road, also not bee seen ideally, not with in a reservoir catchment area or inside a stone structure, common land only, some other area's are also restricted.
No open fires.
But I have seen many bonfires when the holidays come around.
I still camp inside bellever in the same spot as its out of site but in a large clearing and never do cooking there at all.

I believe all camping on dartmoor is restricted at the moment whilst we still have covid, Must of ended as no mention on their site.
Wild camping is normally allowed on dartmoor.
https://www.dartmoor.gov.uk/about-us/ab ... mping-map#
I see we now have a nice clear map :)
2020-08-06_000502.jpg

Fire Camping - BBC local news words
Fire Camping - BBC local news words

https://www.dartmoor.gov.uk/about-us/who-we-are/byelaws
"Bellever/Riddon Ridge
Please note there is a temporary ban on all overnight stays and camping in the Bellever area. This is from 7 August until 2 September.
When backpack camping:
Travel light - a well prepared backpack contains sufficient equipment for a basic overnight stay. If this is not enough and you need more stuff and facilities – use a campsite instead!

Stay out of sight – backpackers should use very small and lightweight tents which easily blend into the landscape. Part of the enjoyment of experiencing the National Park is its unspoilt and vast landscapes, so it is important that other people’s enjoyment of Dartmoor is not impaired by tents dotting the view.

Tread lightly – Dartmoor is beautiful, don’t spoil it by lighting fires or leaving waste behind. Put everything back in your backpack and take it home. If you worry about carrying your rubbish out, need a bin or a toilet – then this isn’t for you – use a campsite.

Remember:

Take all litter home.
No open fires or BBQs.
Ensure you do not pollute streams or rivers.
Avoid disturbing wildlife particularly during the moorland lambing and bird breeding season, from 1 March to 31 July.
For more information see the National Park byelaws.
6 Camping
No person shall knowingly use any vehicle, including a caravan or any structure other than a tent for the purpose of camping on the access land or land set out for the use or parking of vehicles except on any area which may be set apart and indicated by notice as a place where such camping is permitted.
No person shall knowingly erect a tent on the access land for the purpose of camping:
(a) in any area listed in Schedule 2 to these byelaws;

(b)within 100 metres of any public road or in any enclosure.
No person shall camp in a tent on the same site on the access land for more than two consecutive nights, except on any area which may be set apart and indicated by notice as a place where such camping is permitted.
7 Water
No person shall knowingly cause or permit the flow of any watercourse, leat or drain on the access land to be obstructed or diverted or interfere with any sluicegate or similar apparatus on the access land.

8 Fires
No person shall light a fire on the access land, or place or throw or let fall a lighted match or any other thing so as to be likely to cause a fire. This byelaw shall not prevent the lighting or use in such a manner as not to cause danger of or damage by fire of a properly constructed camping stove or cooker."
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

What's so disspiriting is the nature of the particular issues that have lead to the authorities taking action (described in detail here)... that is to say:
* rubbish simply abandonded & left instead of collected up and disposed of properly
* dozens of fire-pits dug / disposable barBqs simply left as is, afterwards
* and worst of all, large quantities of human excrement / used toilet tissue & wet-wipes
It's all so avoidable, even if all they do is simply shovel everything into a bin bag and dump it off in a bin, on their way home - that's all they gotta do to turn their night out from a disgrace to tolerable... What is the matter with these people??
(I'm starting to sound like a classic GOM, I know, but if they all tided up, then there wouldn't be a ban!)
PS just read a new phrase, never seen before, that is : fly-camping... oh dear.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

simonineaston wrote:PS just read a new phrase, never seen before, that is : fly-camping... oh dear.

Also known as dirty camping.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Again, I'm stumped (although perhaps as an ex-teacher, I shouldn't be...) by the simple notion that so many of our fellow citizens don't get the super-simple idea that they shouldn't dump in their own backgarden... it's as if they have no respect for their neighbours, their own friends, the country-side, yadda, yadda, yadda - how much imagination does it take to go to a beauty-spot, (presumably 'cos they like the look of it,) and then for the penny to drop that if they enjoy it, then leave it littered with their crap (too true!), the next person along - who may indeed be themselves one week later - is going to find it less enjoyable!!
It's almost as if they have some sort of grudge, against somebody or something... that'll teach me to have an over-all optimistic take on life and other people!!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Many years ago in my youth we used to go anywhere and everywhere on our bicycles.
Fishing all night fishing, even snorkel diving with a wet suit and I weight belt round your waist.
We lent our bikes against the fence and went down to the beach fishing when we came back there was dog muck on our saddles.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

simonineaston wrote:many of our fellow citizens don't get the super-simple idea that they shouldn't dump in their own backgarden... it's as if they have no respect for their neighbours, their own friends, the country-side, yadda, yadda, yadda -

I live on a street full of these people.
I only know of one other neighbour besides myself who bothers to sweep up the rubbish left outside our homes.
Indeed my next door neighbours have left cigarette butt's on the joint used steps to our homes and their child drops packets there all the time. They of course deny it.
I wish someone would put all these disgraceful morons in the bin to drive the point home.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Vantage wrote:
simonineaston wrote:many of our fellow citizens don't get the super-simple idea that they shouldn't dump in their own backgarden... it's as if they have no respect for their neighbours, their own friends, the country-side, yadda, yadda, yadda -

I live on a street full of these people.
I only know of one other neighbour besides myself who bothers to sweep up the rubbish left outside our homes.
Indeed my next door neighbours have left cigarette butt's on the joint used steps to our homes and their child drops packets there all the time. They of course deny it.
I wish someone would put all these disgraceful morons in the bin to drive the point home.

well second best thing. Collect their rubbish and post it in their letter boxes late at night.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Our neighbors deep clean their recycling (garden waste etc) wheelie bin after every collection........then empty it down the gutter to our house :evil:
One day I will scoop it up and deposit it..............
whoof

Post by whoof »

Camped on Dartmoor last night. Very quiet, beautiful surroundings and very peaceful. Great sun set and sun rise.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
whoof wrote:Camped on Dartmoor last night. Very quiet, beautiful surroundings and very peaceful. Great sun set and sun rise.

Yes quite when every one goes home for tea.
Even before dusk the deer come out, foxes are after my grub :)
rjb

Post by rjb »

al_yrpal wrote:Right by my pals holiday home...Bellever. The ban is for 27 days from Friday

Al

Isn't that where the Hound of the Baskerville's prowls around. Not sure I would camp there. :shock:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D