Dartmoor: WildCamping banned for 47 days

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Dartmoor: WildCamping banned for 47 days

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Hound tor, a bit further east, peter cushing and christopher lee.
There aren't really man swallowing bogs on dartmoor :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Hound tor, a bit further east, peter cushing and christopher lee.

Not so!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hound ... (1959_film)
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

At uni we did a biology field trip to the west country. The science at the time said that Foxtor Mire was the deepest bog on Dartmoor and even that isn't capable of swallowing a human. A few of us who neglected to tread carefully did end up knee-deep in the gloop though.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I was at Bellever Monday and Tuesday. Security guards everywhere. There was about 30 Asian guys playing football there about 6 pm. Their kids were by and in the East Dart river. Their ladies were in a huddle nattering. All enjoying themselves in a beautiful spot. About 8pm they left walking to their cars which they had left by the roadside about 400 yards away. They did no harm.
On the river bank were dozens of places where folk had previously dug fire pits. The guards ensured there was no wild camping and the car park was closed at 6pm. My hosts live 400 yards from the spot.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
al_yrpal wrote:I was at Bellever Monday and Tuesday. Security guards everywhere. There was about 30 Asian guys playing football there about 6 pm. Their kids were by and in the East Dart river. Their ladies were in a huddle nattering. All enjoying themselves in a beautiful spot. About 8pm they left walking to their cars which they had left by the roadside about 400 yards away. They did no harm.
On the river bank were dozens of places where folk had previously dug fire pits. The guards ensured there was no wild camping and the car park was closed at 6pm. My hosts live 400 yards from the spot.

Al

Probably a bit of an overkill with the guards then, whos paying them?
Once the order 27 days was in place all the groupies have moved on to another nature park.
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

I camped on another part of Dartmoor shortly after the ban started. Carefully checked the park authority's map on the way there, and confirmed that the part we were heading for was still open despite the scary headlines. The (open overnight) car park was nearly full and there were several other groups heading the same way as us. After pitching up we became aware of two other sets of campers in the area - one a tent-shaped lump on the horizon, the other an occasional voice on the wind - but they didn't bother us and we didn't bother them.

The next day we finished our walk and returned to the car park. We saw no fires, no litter, no damage. Almost as if the campers were all decent folk who appreciated the moor and didn't leave a mess.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks. That's good to hear. Ditto Al's.

But of course those experiences won't be picked up by news media, or subsequently used to create OUTRAGE or to stir up hatred and contempt for OTHER PEOPLE.

Jonathan
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Any Packed car park overnight It's very unusual for Dartmoor.
Although at times like bank holiday weekends you will see overnight parking.
I'm not sure that overnight parking is actually allowed in any car park within the National Park?
Although there will be no authorities out to check up on you, and I've never take any notice of it either, if you were to wild camp on Dartmoor how are you going to get there?
I normally cycle, and occasionally I have camped up in a car park in my vehicle overnight (campervan) most important thing is you're not leaving anything behind and you're not causing a nuisance et cetera as in life generally.

i'll see today there has been a boom in camping gear.
I will bide my time, I expect there to be much more camping gear turning up at the tip if it's still open or it will open again? That's my local tip which I've not visited now for several months because it's been in shutdown, in the past I've picked up brand new sleeping bags that have never been opened For a pound each :)
And several fully complete tents some large family style and not frame tents for two or £3.
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Some of the car parks are closed overnight, some are open and some are explicitly said to be free between 6pm and 10am (details). What is not allowed in most (all?) of them is sleeping overnight in a vehicle - it's against a local bylaw. Personally I've nothing against camper vans, but camping on the moor is supposed to be lightweight and out of sight and I suppose they don't want vans clogging up the lanes every weekend.

Edit: tyop.
Last edited by Pastychomper on 19 Aug 2020, 1:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Pastychomper wrote:Some of the car parks are closed overnight, some are open and some are explicitly said to be free between 6pm and 10am (details). What is not allowed in most (all?) of them is sleeping overnight in a vehicle - it's against a local bylaw. Personally I've nothing against camper vans, but camping on the moor is supposed to be lightweight and out of site and I suppose they don't want vans clogging up the lanes every weekend.

Thanks, I'll see it says with parking of vehicles overnight "occupation ", that means it's okay to park the vehicle but it's not okay to stay in it overnight.
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Jdsk wrote:Thanks. That's good to hear. Ditto Al's.

But of course those experiences won't be picked up by news media, or subsequently used to create OUTRAGE or to stir up hatred and contempt for OTHER PEOPLE.

Jonathan

Are you saying the media shouldn't report poor behaviour? Our NPs are used by thousands every year mostly withou harm but that doesn't mean we shouldn't report when things go wrong. Believer has often been used for raves, is a very popular spot with day trippers who often don't understand or care how they should leave it. Cadover Bridge is similar. Scorch marks from disposable BBQs is common. Exposing this sort of thing educates and keeps these spots for future generations.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thehairs1970 wrote:Are you saying the media shouldn't report poor behaviour?

Absolutely not.

But I am suggesting that anyone who wants to draw conclusions about other people or the modern world or anything similar should take into account the true variety of behaviour and not cherrypick the worst in order to confirm their prejudices.

And that responsible media should do the same.

Jonathan
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

That isn't current affairs though and the story was.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Two campers stranded on an island had to be rescued by 30 people!
This is a particular stupid place to camp as the river dart swells dramatically in heavy rain, many have died there during cadet training and canoeing.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-53909283
Attachments
2020-08-26_174936.jpg
2020-08-26_175001.jpg
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

Two campers stranded on an island had to be rescued by 30 people!
This is a particular stupid place to camp as the river dart swells dramatically in heavy rain, many have died there during cadet training and canoeing.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-53909283

Probably practicing for their Darwin Awards. What a pair of muppets.