Essential stuff to have in your camping kit

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
nsew
Posts: 723
Joined: 14 Dec 2017, 12:38pm

Re: Essential stuff to have in your camping kit

Postby nsew » 17 Aug 2020, 1:04pm

There are biodegradable wet wipes available. Trickier and pricier to find on the road however.

Cowsham
Posts: 1131
Joined: 4 Nov 2019, 1:33pm

Re: Essential stuff to have in your camping kit

Postby Cowsham » 17 Aug 2020, 3:03pm

KTHSullivan wrote:I have always found that a tent is quite useful. :D


Read first post. ( I like your strap line though I'll have to remember to use that next time someone says I'm over the hill )

Cowsham
Posts: 1131
Joined: 4 Nov 2019, 1:33pm

Re: Essential stuff to have in your camping kit

Postby Cowsham » 17 Aug 2020, 3:13pm

A good sleeping bag nothing can ruin a trip more than a sleeping bag that's too small or too cold -- at least with a warm one you can unzip it if it's too hot. The tapered type are too restrictive.

hufty
Posts: 534
Joined: 28 Jan 2011, 7:24pm

Re: Essential stuff to have in your camping kit

Postby hufty » 17 Aug 2020, 3:37pm

Re pack towels, I agree that most microfibre towels are nasty to the touch, but I have a Paramo pack towel and it's great. Or if it's a generally warm and dry kind of place I wouldn't bother with that even, just use a lungi/sarong.

Has anyone said earplugs already? Earplugs.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine

Cowsham
Posts: 1131
Joined: 4 Nov 2019, 1:33pm

Re: Essential stuff to have in your camping kit

Postby Cowsham » 17 Aug 2020, 4:54pm

hufty wrote:Re pack towels, I agree that most microfibre towels are nasty to the touch, but I have a Paramo pack towel and it's great. Or if it's a generally warm and dry kind of place I wouldn't bother with that even, just use a lungi/sarong.

Has anyone said earplugs already? Earplugs.


A noisy warm place then -- Ibiza?

User avatar
andrew_s
Posts: 5318
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 9:29pm
Location: Gloucestershire

Re: Essential stuff to have in your camping kit

Postby andrew_s » 17 Aug 2020, 7:37pm

Cowsham wrote:
hufty wrote:Has anyone said earplugs already? Earplugs.

A noisy warm place then -- Ibiza?

All it takes is one group to decide to spend the evening sitting round the campfire and playing the bongos until 4 am.

KTHSullivan
Posts: 315
Joined: 4 Aug 2017, 1:15pm
Location: Wind Swept Lincolnshire

Re: Essential stuff to have in your camping kit

Postby KTHSullivan » 17 Aug 2020, 7:53pm

Just lately USB power pack, I can top it up via a dyno hub to a degree but realistically, dependent upon use needs topping up every three or four days from a socket. Camping chair, bought a Helinox camp chair knock off from flea bay a few years ago, improves campsite comfort no end.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:

Cowsham
Posts: 1131
Joined: 4 Nov 2019, 1:33pm

Re: Essential stuff to have in your camping kit

Postby Cowsham » 17 Aug 2020, 8:36pm

KTHSullivan wrote:Just lately USB power pack, I can top it up via a dyno hub to a degree but realistically, dependent upon use needs topping up every three or four days from a socket. Camping chair, bought a Helinox camp chair knock off from flea bay a few years ago, improves campsite comfort no end.


Started carrying a camp chair last year -- makes a good addition to my kit. One that doesn't have feet that could puncture the ground sheet of the porch . This is it -- didn't take the table top bit with me it's too much to carry.

http://www.obicampingandleisure.co.uk/v ... ble-stool/

User avatar
simonineaston
Posts: 4168
Joined: 9 May 2007, 1:06pm
Location: ...at a cricket ground

Re: Essential stuff to have in your camping kit

Postby simonineaston » 17 Aug 2020, 9:05pm

not the right thread, but...
soon after I learned about the bio-degradable wet-wipes (see upthread), I read a study finds that for the first time ever, micro-plastics are now routinely found in human organs. Great - just what we need...
So back to the idea that there are plastics in wet-wipes, T bags, kitchen towel - anything in fact that needs protection from being too quick to dissolve. Enter the bio-degradable variant. But I'm sorry to say that the food industry have an awful reputation for spin and opacity and I will lay odds of 100:1 that when they say their products are "bio-degradable" it doesn't mean they are plastic-free. Evidence? Well, companies like Pukka, who used to have good food-safety credentials, are already playing that game - they say their T bags are safe & bio-degradable but it turns out that they still have a plastic element, albiet lower than mainstream product like Typhoo / PG Tips - all three are ultimately owned by Unilever. They all cheerfully point out that there's no evidence that the presence of microplastics poses a health threat (of course not - it's a relatively recent development & its waaaay too early to say one way or another, for sure), and use carefully prepared phrases, like
The envelope contains only a very thin layer of BPA and PVC free plastic,
Well thanks, but I'm not convinced these products are safe, long-term.
(rides: Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)

mikeymo
Posts: 2064
Joined: 27 Sep 2016, 6:23pm

Re: Essential stuff to have in your camping kit

Postby mikeymo » 17 Aug 2020, 10:49pm

simonineaston wrote:not the right thread, but...
soon after I learned about the bio-degradable wet-wipes (see upthread), I read a study finds that for the first time ever, micro-plastics are now routinely found in human organs. Great - just what we need...


I don't believe that article states what you assert it does.

What I think it is saying is that scientists have developed techniques which will enable them to detect microplastics in human tissue, not that they actually have detected microplastics in human tissue, apart from microplastics which they deliberately introduced into the human tissue, in order to develop a technique of detection.

For clarity, the article Simon links to is:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/aug/17/microplastic-particles-discovered-in-human-organs

Notice, dear reader, the subtle way in which the Guardian changes the wording. In the link we have "discovered". In the actual article the word is "discoverable". Yes folks, the always-on-the-side-of-the-angels Guardian is capable of propaganda and fake news too, it seems.

User avatar
simonineaston
Posts: 4168
Joined: 9 May 2007, 1:06pm
Location: ...at a cricket ground

Re: Essential stuff to have in your camping kit

Postby simonineaston » 18 Aug 2020, 6:30pm

mikeymo wrote:I don't believe that article states what you assert it does.
You're letting your prejudices get the better of you, Mikey - although you object quite reasonably to the content of the quoted article, you hint that your objection is mainly on the grounds that the publication concerned doesn't suit your political leanings.
My fear is far more generalised - that we're exposed to a good deal more plastic, one way or another, than we realise, with a signficant amount of it being put in place quite deliberately by the processed food industry. My points were that the industry a) spends a good deal of effort to obfuscate the fact and b) there is very little evidence that our inevitable absorbation of micro-plastics is risk-free.
However, mindful of another recent post in which the author frets about the modern social evil of thread drift and its older meaner sibling, thread hijack ! I shall put further discussion of micro-plastics and their lodging in my lovely, precious organs to one side! :D
(rides: Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)

mikeymo
Posts: 2064
Joined: 27 Sep 2016, 6:23pm

Re: Essential stuff to have in your camping kit

Postby mikeymo » 18 Aug 2020, 6:38pm

simonineaston wrote:
mikeymo wrote:I don't believe that article states what you assert it does.
You're letting your prejudices get the better of you, Mikey - although you object quite reasonably to the content of the quoted article, you hint that your objection is mainly on the grounds that the publication concerned doesn't suit your political leanings.
My fear is far more generalised - that we're exposed to a good deal more plastic, one way or another, than we realise, with a signficant amount of it being put in place quite deliberately by the processed food industry. My points were that the industry a) spends a good deal of effort to obfuscate the fact and b) there is very little evidence that our inevitable absorbation of micro-plastics is risk-free.
However, mindful of another recent post in which the author frets about the modern social evil of thread drift and its older meaner sibling, thread hijack ! I shall put further discussion of micro-plastics and their lodging in my lovely, precious organs to one side! :D


Tell me, what are my political leanings? You seem to know what they are.

No, my objection is on the grounds of truth. The article does not state what you assert it does. I recognise your attempt to backtrack and talk about your fear being "generalised". This is deflection and nonsense. You quoted an article which does not state what you claimed it stated.

I assume you know what the opposite of the truth is?

I am not objecting in the least to "the content of the article", as you claim. Though I do point out the sneaky change of wording in the link - presumably that gets them up in the Google searches for that term. I am objecting to your dishonest use of it to support your position, when it does not in fact say what you claim it says. I am objecting to your dishonesty in supporting what is in fact, your "prejudice."

User avatar
MikeTr
Posts: 7
Joined: 18 Aug 2020, 4:37am

Re: Essential stuff to have in your camping kit

Postby MikeTr » 19 Aug 2020, 7:11am

I always make sure I take my knife and good coffee beans with me when i go camping. If i'm tired or freezing cup of coffee makes everything better. Also after breaking my ankle last year, I always taking some bandages and painkillers with me, just in case, you know.
Last edited by MikeTr on 19 Aug 2020, 1:14pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cogito ergo sum

Oldjohnw
Posts: 6009
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: Essential stuff to have in your camping kit

Postby Oldjohnw » 19 Aug 2020, 7:14am

MikeTr wrote:I always make sure I take my knife and good coffee beans with me when i go camping. If i'm tired or freezing cup of coffee makes everything better. Also after breaking my ankle last year, I always taking some bandages and painkillers with me, just in case, you know.


Coffe beans, sounds good. How do you make the coffee?
John

Richard D
Posts: 269
Joined: 27 Sep 2011, 6:16pm

Re: Essential stuff to have in your camping kit

Postby Richard D » 19 Aug 2020, 7:54am

Sweep wrote:
Richard D wrote:A linen towel. Packs down smaller than microfibre, dries me better than microfibre, doesn’t whiff like microfibre, feels nicer than microfibre, and takes only marginally longer to dry in the open air than microfibre (I use a black one to better absorb the sun's heat).

.

where would you get such a thing?
A full size bath towel type thing or do you really mean a Tea towel?
A big one would be rather pricey?


Etsy. Lithuania-based sellers in the main. And the towel I have is either a "shower towel" or a hand towel; if it’s a hand towel, it’s still plenty large enough to get dry with given linen's superior performance.