Essential stuff to have in your camping kit

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
nsew

Re: Essential stuff to have in your camping kit

Post by nsew »

There are biodegradable wet wipes available. Trickier and pricier to find on the road however.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

KTHSullivan wrote:I have always found that a tent is quite useful. :D

Read first post. ( I like your strap line though I'll have to remember to use that next time someone says I'm over the hill )
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

A good sleeping bag nothing can ruin a trip more than a sleeping bag that's too small or too cold -- at least with a warm one you can unzip it if it's too hot. The tapered type are too restrictive.
hufty

Post by hufty »

Re pack towels, I agree that most microfibre towels are nasty to the touch, but I have a Paramo pack towel and it's great. Or if it's a generally warm and dry kind of place I wouldn't bother with that even, just use a lungi/sarong.

Has anyone said earplugs already? Earplugs.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

hufty wrote:Re pack towels, I agree that most microfibre towels are nasty to the touch, but I have a Paramo pack towel and it's great. Or if it's a generally warm and dry kind of place I wouldn't bother with that even, just use a lungi/sarong.

Has anyone said earplugs already? Earplugs.

A noisy warm place then -- Ibiza?
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Cowsham wrote:
hufty wrote:Has anyone said earplugs already? Earplugs.

A noisy warm place then -- Ibiza?

All it takes is one group to decide to spend the evening sitting round the campfire and playing the bongos until 4 am.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Just lately USB power pack, I can top it up via a dyno hub to a degree but realistically, dependent upon use needs topping up every three or four days from a socket. Camping chair, bought a Helinox camp chair knock off from flea bay a few years ago, improves campsite comfort no end.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

KTHSullivan wrote:Just lately USB power pack, I can top it up via a dyno hub to a degree but realistically, dependent upon use needs topping up every three or four days from a socket. Camping chair, bought a Helinox camp chair knock off from flea bay a few years ago, improves campsite comfort no end.

Started carrying a camp chair last year -- makes a good addition to my kit. One that doesn't have feet that could puncture the ground sheet of the porch . This is it -- didn't take the table top bit with me it's too much to carry.

http://www.obicampingandleisure.co.uk/v ... ble-stool/
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

not the right thread, but...
soon after I learned about the bio-degradable wet-wipes (see upthread), I read a study finds that for the first time ever, micro-plastics are now routinely found in human organs. Great - just what we need...
So back to the idea that there are plastics in wet-wipes, T bags, kitchen towel - anything in fact that needs protection from being too quick to dissolve. Enter the bio-degradable variant. But I'm sorry to say that the food industry have an awful reputation for spin and opacity and I will lay odds of 100:1 that when they say their products are "bio-degradable" it doesn't mean they are plastic-free. Evidence? Well, companies like Pukka, who used to have good food-safety credentials, are already playing that game - they say their T bags are safe & bio-degradable but it turns out that they still have a plastic element, albiet lower than mainstream product like Typhoo / PG Tips - all three are ultimately owned by Unilever. They all cheerfully point out that there's no evidence that the presence of microplastics poses a health threat (of course not - it's a relatively recent development & its waaaay too early to say one way or another, for sure), and use carefully prepared phrases, like
The envelope contains only a very thin layer of BPA and PVC free plastic,
Well thanks, but I'm not convinced these products are safe, long-term.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

simonineaston wrote:not the right thread, but...
soon after I learned about the bio-degradable wet-wipes (see upthread), I read a study finds that for the first time ever, micro-plastics are now routinely found in human organs. Great - just what we need...

I don't believe that article states what you assert it does.

What I think it is saying is that scientists have developed techniques which will enable them to detect microplastics in human tissue, not that they actually have detected microplastics in human tissue, apart from microplastics which they deliberately introduced into the human tissue, in order to develop a technique of detection.

For clarity, the article Simon links to is:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/aug/17/microplastic-particles-discovered-in-human-organs

Notice, dear reader, the subtle way in which the Guardian changes the wording. In the link we have "discovered". In the actual article the word is "discoverable". Yes folks, the always-on-the-side-of-the-angels Guardian is capable of propaganda and fake news too, it seems.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

mikeymo wrote:I don't believe that article states what you assert it does.
You're letting your prejudices get the better of you, Mikey - although you object quite reasonably to the content of the quoted article, you hint that your objection is mainly on the grounds that the publication concerned doesn't suit your political leanings.
My fear is far more generalised - that we're exposed to a good deal more plastic, one way or another, than we realise, with a signficant amount of it being put in place quite deliberately by the processed food industry. My points were that the industry a) spends a good deal of effort to obfuscate the fact and b) there is very little evidence that our inevitable absorbation of micro-plastics is risk-free.
However, mindful of another recent post in which the author frets about the modern social evil of thread drift and its older meaner sibling, thread hijack ! I shall put further discussion of micro-plastics and their lodging in my lovely, precious organs to one side! :D
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

simonineaston wrote:
mikeymo wrote:I don't believe that article states what you assert it does.
You're letting your prejudices get the better of you, Mikey - although you object quite reasonably to the content of the quoted article, you hint that your objection is mainly on the grounds that the publication concerned doesn't suit your political leanings.
My fear is far more generalised - that we're exposed to a good deal more plastic, one way or another, than we realise, with a signficant amount of it being put in place quite deliberately by the processed food industry. My points were that the industry a) spends a good deal of effort to obfuscate the fact and b) there is very little evidence that our inevitable absorbation of micro-plastics is risk-free.
However, mindful of another recent post in which the author frets about the modern social evil of thread drift and its older meaner sibling, thread hijack ! I shall put further discussion of micro-plastics and their lodging in my lovely, precious organs to one side! :D

Tell me, what are my political leanings? You seem to know what they are.

No, my objection is on the grounds of truth. The article does not state what you assert it does. I recognise your attempt to backtrack and talk about your fear being "generalised". This is deflection and nonsense. You quoted an article which does not state what you claimed it stated.

I assume you know what the opposite of the truth is?

I am not objecting in the least to "the content of the article", as you claim. Though I do point out the sneaky change of wording in the link - presumably that gets them up in the Google searches for that term. I am objecting to your dishonest use of it to support your position, when it does not in fact say what you claim it says. I am objecting to your dishonesty in supporting what is in fact, your "prejudice."
MikeTr

Post by MikeTr »

I always make sure I take my knife and good coffee beans with me when i go camping. If i'm tired or freezing cup of coffee makes everything better. Also after breaking my ankle last year, I always taking some bandages and painkillers with me, just in case, you know.
Last edited by MikeTr on 19 Aug 2020, 1:14pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cogito ergo sum
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

MikeTr wrote:I always make sure I take my knife and good coffee beans with me when i go camping. If i'm tired or freezing cup of coffee makes everything better. Also after breaking my ankle last year, I always taking some bandages and painkillers with me, just in case, you know.

Coffe beans, sounds good. How do you make the coffee?
John
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

Sweep wrote:
Richard D wrote:A linen towel. Packs down smaller than microfibre, dries me better than microfibre, doesn’t whiff like microfibre, feels nicer than microfibre, and takes only marginally longer to dry in the open air than microfibre (I use a black one to better absorb the sun's heat).

where would you get such a thing?
A full size bath towel type thing or do you really mean a Tea towel?
A big one would be rather pricey?

Etsy. Lithuania-based sellers in the main. And the towel I have is either a "shower towel" or a hand towel; if it’s a hand towel, it’s still plenty large enough to get dry with given linen's superior performance.