Essential stuff to have in your camping kit

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
PT1029

Re: Essential stuff to have in your camping kit

Post by PT1029 »

Pre 9/11 if I flew anywhere, I used to manage to squeeze the vital stuff (except the bike of course) in hand luggage, tools, tent, cycle clothing, documents and camera, possibly sleeping bag also. (I once met and austrailian stuck with all his kit in Bali, the airline having lost his pedals somehow). These days of course, you won't get a tent pole or tent peg in the cabin I'd guess.
It made me think how much I needed the other stuff I put in the hold!
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Sweep wrote: 22 Aug 2021, 6:45am
Cowsham wrote: 21 Aug 2021, 8:55pm How many AAA batteries will you throw away during your radios lifetime ? At least most of my radio will go via WEEE recycling.
well I did say rechargeable cowsham.
As you may have guessed I try to minimise my use of built-in batteries - unavoidable with a lot of tech of course.
Sorry sweep yes you did.
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

PT1029 wrote: 22 Aug 2021, 7:22am Pre 9/11 if I flew anywhere, I used to manage to squeeze the vital stuff (except the bike of course) in hand luggage, tools, tent, cycle clothing, documents and camera, possibly sleeping bag also. (I once met and austrailian stuck with all his kit in Bali, the airline having lost his pedals somehow). These days of course, you won't get a tent pole or tent peg in the cabin I'd guess.
I'd recon there's a bit of sweat lost till you get your luggage back at the other end.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

PT1029 wrote: 22 Aug 2021, 7:22am Pre 9/11 if I flew anywhere, I used to manage to squeeze the vital stuff (except the bike of course) in hand luggage, tools, tent, cycle clothing, documents and camera, possibly sleeping bag also. (I once met and austrailian stuck with all his kit in Bali, the airline having lost his pedals somehow). These days of course, you won't get a tent pole or tent peg in the cabin I'd guess.
Jael and Sisera!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 22 Aug 2021, 11:23am
Jael and Sisera!
Very good.

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

A pair of slip on shoes so that when you need out of the tent in a hurry for a p in the morning and the grass is wet your not spending valuable time tying laces.
Also you need at least one other set of footwear in case your main shoes get too wet and need to dry out in your tent vestibule.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Cow repellent, tent fabric, for use upon. My father was once awakened by a whee-woosh sound, which turned out to be a cow scratching its nose against the canvas. Nearly stove the tent in.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cowsham wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 10:31pm A pair of slip on shoes so that when you need out of the tent in a hurry for a p in the morning and the grass is wet your not spending valuable time tying laces.
Also you need at least one other set of footwear in case your main shoes get too wet and need to dry out in your tent vestibule.
For any sort of camping I take water-tolerant robust sandals... night visits, showers, swimming etc.

For touring I take my cleated cycling shoes, one-sided pedals, and the sandals. That has to cover all eventualities including failure of the cleated stuff.

Jonathan
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I sometimes carry one pair of sandals that pack flat (e.g. Teva or similar) and one pair of walking boots. I don't use cleats.

Most of my tours recently have been in Norway in conditions (places / time of year) where sandals are unlikely to be needed, so I just take my walking boots and a couple pairs of Sealskinz socks. Yes, I have to tie laces when I first get up in the morning, but it's colder than I want to do in sandals or slip-ons, anyway. I occasionally wake up to frost on the tent.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
freiston

Post by freiston »

Cowsham wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 10:31pm A pair of slip on shoes so that when you need out of the tent in a hurry for a p in the morning and the grass is wet your not spending valuable time tying laces.
I use a pair of cheap Croc style shoes, attached to the back of the bike (top of the rack above the tent) sans bag when in transit. Nice to have in unsavoury shower blocks too.
Last edited by freiston on 16 Sep 2021, 1:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Jdsk wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 10:17am
For any sort of camping I take water-tolerant robust sandals... night visits, showers, swimming etc.

For touring I take my cleated cycling shoes, one-sided pedals, and the sandals. That has to cover all eventualities including failure of the cleated stuff.

Jonathan
Apologies if posted before, when camping on sites or freecamping I use these:

https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/wetsuit ... tml#SID=15

have pretty decent soles.

Can't string onto top of rack but compact.

Touring I have taken to not using clipless shoes - I find my feet get wet just walking across dewy fields/when checking out potential freecamps - comes in through the bottom - supposeI could seal.
Sweep
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

freiston wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 1:39pm
I use a pair of cheap Croc style shoes, attached to the back of the bike (top of the rack above the tent) sans bag when in transit. Nice to have in unsavoury shower blocks too.
As long as said croc shoe has a back to the heal crocs are a good suggestion since they are waterproof. Can't abide an open heal.
freiston

Post by freiston »

Cowsham wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 11:51pm
As long as said croc shoe has a back to the heal crocs are a good suggestion since they are waterproof. Can't abide an open heal.
It's the ankle strap that I use to attach them to the back of the bike :)
P1010812.JPG
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

freiston wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 10:17am
Cowsham wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 11:51pm

It's the ankle strap that I use to attach them to the back of the bike :)
P1010812.JPG
Yes the wife uses crocs some with the strap some without. Not for me but I saw a pair of gardening rubber shoes today with a small heal -- still think I'd rather have my Clark's leather slip on's --- plenty of polishing before I go and they repel water sufficiently.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

You pack your bike like I do.