Essential stuff to have in your camping kit

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Bmblbzzz

Re: Essential stuff to have in your camping kit

Post by Bmblbzzz »

st599_uk wrote:
andrew_s wrote:
st599_uk wrote:A "tee-ei" I bought in Hamburg and proper leaf tea.

Does it make you feel a bit smug when you read of the lengths coffee drinkers go to for their campsite fix?
It does me :)
Yeah, plus tea is infinitely superior.

27.5" plus tea or 29" plus tea? :D
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I like both tea & coffee, and normally carry both with me on a tour, but I do prefer to start my day with coffee.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
TimeTraveller

Post by TimeTraveller »

Titianium drink straw

I dont like to drink from cups (pot) at roadside stop or busy cafes
stops me getting cold sores... some places dont clean those cups good enough... and how many have drunk from them
Pete... I think
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Your call, of course, but transmission of that virus on inanimate objects is very uncommon.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 10 Nov 2020, 10:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Vorpal wrote:I like both tea & coffee, and normally carry both with me on a tour, but I do prefer to start my day with coffee.

This summer we tried coffee bags and to my surprise they were okay. Alright, we didn't manage to get really strong coffee from them, but it was still proper coffee rather than instant and I would use them again on a tour.
TimeTraveller

Post by TimeTraveller »

Jdsk wrote:Your call, of course, but transmission of that virus on inanimate objects is very uncommon.

Jonathan

How Do Cold Sores Spread?

Cold sores are really contagious . If you have a cold sore, it's very easy to infect another person with HSV-1. The virus spreads through direct_contact — through skin contact or contact with oral or genital secretions (like through kissing). Although the virus is most contagious when a sore is present, it can still be passed on even if you can't see a sore. HSV-1 can also be spread by sharing a cup, eating utensils, or lip balm or lipstick with someone who has it. coupled with dry cracked lips that can often happen on long rides in cold or sun.
https://www.hopkinsallchildrens.org/Patients-Families/Health-Library/HealthDocNew/Cold-Sores-(HSV-1)
Pete... I think
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks. I'm aware that this is sometimes said.

If anyone is interested it might be worth:
1 Looking at some other authorities.
2 Looking for the evidence of transmission on fomites.

Jonathan
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

pwa wrote:
Vorpal wrote:I like both tea & coffee, and normally carry both with me on a tour, but I do prefer to start my day with coffee.

This summer we tried coffee bags and to my surprise they were okay. Alright, we didn't manage to get really strong coffee from them, but it was still proper coffee rather than instant and I would use them again on a tour.

I prefer to take a percolater with me. I have a small one that works well. However, if I leave it behind to save space, I usually make my own coffee bags. I have a couple of reuseable cotton bags made for coffee & tea, and I have experimented a little to find the right grind so that it makes a decent brew, but doesn't sludge my cup. I can make it a bit stronger than the commercial coffee bags, and if I use good coffee, while not as good as the percolater coffee, it's *much* better than what I can generally buy en route touring.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
nsew

Post by nsew »

I use a 500ml Nalgene medical bottle which comfortably takes the contents of a 250g ground coffee bag, #2 filters and a collapsible Soto Helix. I also carry full fat milk powder in a 500ml Nalgene and honey in a 250ml Nalgene. Bulky but it’s all about the breaks.
Attachments
4D39D9CC-1B76-4815-9D06-71A721E42445.jpeg
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

nsew wrote:I use a 500ml Nalgene medical bottle which comfortably takes the contents of a 250g ground coffee bag, #2 filters and a collapsible Soto Helix. I also carry full fat milk powder in a 500ml Nalgene and honey in a 250ml Nalgene. Bulky but it’s all about the breaks.

Reduce, reuse, recycle.
I am here. Where are you?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

pwa wrote:[

This summer I also tried coffee bags (Taylor if Harrogate but can’t remember exact brew). Followed instructions to the letter and was disappointed every time. When I got hone I put what was left in the bin.
Next year it looks like I’ll be back to balancing a filter paper over a mug. :D

nsew wrote:I also carry full fat milk powder in a 500ml Nalgene and honey in a 250ml Nalgene..

If those two items are for the coffee I’d ask do you really like coffee? :wink:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
nsew

Post by nsew »

Paulatic wrote:
pwa wrote:[

This summer I also tried coffee bags (Taylor if Harrogate but can’t remember exact brew). Followed instructions to the letter and was disappointed every time. When I got hone I put what was left in the bin.
Next year it looks like I’ll be back to balancing a filter paper over a mug. :D

nsew wrote:I also carry full fat milk powder in a 500ml Nalgene and honey in a 250ml Nalgene..

If those two items are for the coffee I’d ask do you really like coffee? :wink:

I had a Parisian mate who used to tease me about adding milk. It’s a latte innit. It’s all about energy on the road. Milk happens to be the best hydrator of the fluids and a full fat milk provides loads of energy. For carrying, 250g of the powder weighs next to nothing providing 5L. Honey goes with everything doesn’t it? Makes for a great sauce addition too.
pwa

Post by pwa »

nsew wrote:
I had a Parisian mate who used to tease me about adding milk. It’s a latte innit. It’s all about energy on the road. Milk happens to be the best hydrator of the fluids and a full fat milk provides loads of energy. For carrying, 250g of the powder weighs next to nothing providing 5L. Honey goes with everything doesn’t it? Makes for a great sauce addition too.

So coffee as an energy drink.

My Missus likes honey but I hate the taste. I prefer strong black coffee but if someone puts milk in by mistake I don't mind. I'm not keen on cream though. A bit sickly for my taste. At the end of the day though, it's what you like that counts.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I have something like this for my coffee having tried many other methods:

https://www.whittard.co.uk/equipment/te ... 40620.html

It also works for loose leaf tea.
John
nsew

Post by nsew »

pwa wrote:
nsew wrote:

So coffee as an energy drink.

My Missus likes honey but I hate the taste. I prefer strong black coffee but if someone puts milk in by mistake I don't mind. I'm not keen on cream though. A bit sickly for my taste. At the end of the day though, it's what you like that counts.

This past 10 years I’ve spent half my life travelling by bike - so yep, energy. One problem that occurs is that if I have too much coffee I need police supervision. I’ll consume anything that’s put in front of me on the road. Love a cafe espresso stop or two during the day. There’s no one way for me - no rigidity.
Last edited by nsew on 21 Nov 2020, 5:45pm, edited 1 time in total.