Essential stuff to have in your camping kit

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
npcarey
Posts: 22
Joined: 3 Mar 2015, 9:20pm

Re: Essential stuff to have in your camping kit

Postby npcarey » 28 Nov 2020, 4:13pm

by st599_uk » 28 Nov 2020, 1:36pm
I also keep a copy of my WHO vaccine certificate which I got in Tanzania.

Perhaps another essential item? Back in the day I was cycling in Malawi, heading for the Tanzanian border and discovered that a yellow fever jab was required. As I had an official WHO vaccine booklet with various entries in it I just whipped out my ‘John Bull, Printing Outfit’ out from a pannier, made up an official looking stamp and job, rather than jab done. Some wise soul had suggested that I carry one. I know that I used it a least once more perhaps for some other traveller needing an ‘official’ stamp.
by Bmblbzzz » 28 Nov 2020, 3:53pm
So they just happen to have a vaccination point at the border crossing?

Entering Malawi at the border post I was told that I had to have a cholera jab. The immigration officer did it using the same needle he did the rest of the people in the queue. This was a few years prior to AIDS.
[img]
iu.jpeg
[/img]
Neil.
Image Attachments
iu.jpeg

st599_uk
Posts: 387
Joined: 4 Nov 2018, 8:59pm

Re: Essential stuff to have in your camping kit

Postby st599_uk » 28 Nov 2020, 4:49pm

Bmblbzzz wrote:So they just happen to have a vaccination point at the border crossing? Handy!
All the border posts in Africa have a medic. Those that rely on exporting food have huge phytosanitary operations too. In Botswana they have them every 50 km or so on the roads and you and your vehicle need to be disinfected.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”

st599_uk
Posts: 387
Joined: 4 Nov 2018, 8:59pm

Re: Essential stuff to have in your camping kit

Postby st599_uk » 28 Nov 2020, 4:50pm

npcarey wrote:
by st599_uk » 28 Nov 2020, 1:36pm
I also keep a copy of my WHO vaccine certificate which I got in Tanzania.

Perhaps another essential item? Back in the day I was cycling in Malawi, heading for the Tanzanian border and discovered that a yellow fever jab was required. As I had an official WHO vaccine booklet with various entries in it I just whipped out my ‘John Bull, Printing Outfit’ out from a pannier, made up an official looking stamp and job, rather than jab done. Some wise soul had suggested that I carry one. I know that I used it a least once more perhaps for some other traveller needing an ‘official’ stamp.
by Bmblbzzz » 28 Nov 2020, 3:53pm
So they just happen to have a vaccination point at the border crossing?

Entering Malawi at the border post I was told that I had to have a cholera jab. The immigration officer did it using the same needle he did the rest of the people in the queue. This was a few years prior to AIDS.
[img]
iu.jpeg
[/img]
Neil.
Not anymore, it's got a QR code sticker issued online via WHO
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”

nsew
Posts: 677
Joined: 14 Dec 2017, 12:38pm

Re: Essential stuff to have in your camping kit

Postby nsew » 28 Nov 2020, 7:38pm

npcarey wrote:
by st599_uk » 28 Nov 2020, 1:36pm
I also keep a copy of my WHO vaccine certificate which I got in Tanzania.

Perhaps another essential item? Back in the day I was cycling in Malawi, heading for the Tanzanian border and discovered that a yellow fever jab was required. As I had an official WHO vaccine booklet with various entries in it I just whipped out my ‘John Bull, Printing Outfit’ out from a pannier, made up an official looking stamp and job, rather than jab done. Some wise soul had suggested that I carry one. I know that I used it a least once more perhaps for some other traveller needing an ‘official’ stamp.
by Bmblbzzz » 28 Nov 2020, 3:53pm
So they just happen to have a vaccination point at the border crossing?

Entering Malawi at the border post I was told that I had to have a cholera jab. The immigration officer did it using the same needle he did the rest of the people in the queue. This was a few years prior to AIDS.
[img]iu.jpeg[/img]
Neil.


A Canadian couple introduced me to the John Bull kit in Greece in the early 80s. They were using it for practically all their travel, changing visa stamps, discarded bus, rail and ferry tickets. I was most impressed. That couple also told me how to join the Hungarian Communist Youth Party to facilitate a £15 ticket for the Trans Siberian Express. Made me chuckle every time I filled out the entry form entering the States - Are you or have you ever been a member of the Communist Party?

Bmblbzzz
Posts: 3758
Joined: 18 May 2012, 7:56pm
Location: From here to there.

Re: Essential stuff to have in your camping kit

Postby Bmblbzzz » 29 Nov 2020, 12:25pm

st599_uk wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:So they just happen to have a vaccination point at the border crossing? Handy!
All the border posts in Africa have a medic. Those that rely on exporting food have huge phytosanitary operations too. In Botswana they have them every 50 km or so on the roads and you and your vehicle need to be disinfected.

From what little I know of Botswana (an uncle worked there in the early 70s) it has a somewhat more 'sophisticated' state organisation than most of sub-Saharan Africa.

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 18651
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: Essential stuff to have in your camping kit

Postby Vorpal » 29 Nov 2020, 1:39pm

Much of Africa is much more sophisticated than how most people think about it.

Charities use pictures of starving children and dessicated farm land to appeal for money, so that is the image people have of Africa, but the truth is that it is thriving towns and cities, world reknown universities, thousands of years old historic sites, verdant plains, wildlife reserves, and mountains and jungle, as well as desert and and dessicated farmland. It is a huge and varied continent, moreso even than Europe.

Most African countries have not had significant problems with COVID, and even those that have seen some spread have not seen as many deaths (per million) as the UK. Why? They are prepared for pandemics, even in countries that have much lower spending on public health per person than the UK. They had track & trace infrastructure in place. They are simply not as unsophisticated as most people think.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

st599_uk
Posts: 387
Joined: 4 Nov 2018, 8:59pm

Re: Essential stuff to have in your camping kit

Postby st599_uk » 29 Nov 2020, 1:53pm

Vorpal wrote:.
Most African countries have not had significant problems with COVID, and even those that have seen some spread have not seen as many deaths (per million) as the UK. Why? They are prepared for pandemics, even in countries that have much lower spending on public health per person than the UK. They had track & trace infrastructure in place. They are simply not as unsophisticated as most people think.


I think that I read that there was some evidence that endemic parasitic illness also helps with CoVid, but yeah, they have extensive experience in dealing with local outbreaks and checking travellers. Certainly I've only ever seen mass disinfection of passengers and cabins on African buses and flights.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”

Psamathe
Posts: 12020
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Essential stuff to have in your camping kit

Postby Psamathe » 29 Nov 2020, 1:58pm

st599_uk wrote:
Vorpal wrote:....Certainly I've only ever seen mass disinfection of passengers and cabins on African buses and flights.

Happens SE Asia flights as well (at least did in my experience).

Ian

Bmblbzzz
Posts: 3758
Joined: 18 May 2012, 7:56pm
Location: From here to there.

Re: Essential stuff to have in your camping kit

Postby Bmblbzzz » 29 Nov 2020, 5:40pm

I've seen it in NZ, other Pacific, and India.