Bike/tarp combo?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
mxg01

Bike/tarp combo?

Post by mxg01 »

Does anyone cover their bike with a tarp whilst camping? Either the bike lying on the ground with the tarp pegged out over it or bike locked to a tree. You can buy very lightweight tarps these days. It seems to make sense from a weather and security point of view.

I don't want to do this and find people pointing at my bike/tarp combo and laughing. Please reassure me.
mercalia

Re: Bike/tarp combo?

Post by mercalia »

I use a cheap cycle cover ( ebay) and lock the bike to a tree with a cable ( if there is a tree). My bike is 20 years old and and in good nick I intend to keep it that way dont want rain or dew getting in any where
Tilley

Post by Tilley »

I too use a cheap cycle cover. I managed to pick up a double size cycle cover from a charity shop it fits over my recumbent trike a treat. As well as keeping the rain and dew at bay it also effectively disguises the trike from inquisitive eyes.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I got a cheapo from Poundshop or Poundland. Works great. I'll leave it to you to guess how much I spent.

I also have loads of disposable shower caps from my work hotel days which are great for the saddle.
John
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

My bike spends plenty of time being pampered (lives in house) so it doesn't bother me that it's out all night when I'm camping. I just put a plastic bag over the saddle in case it rains.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Another bike cover user. Hides the fact that it's an expensive bike and I can't enjoy the sound of rain on the tent so much if I know my bike is getting an unnecessary soaking!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mercalia wrote:I use a cheap cycle cover ( ebay) and lock the bike to a tree with a cable ( if there is a tree). My bike is 20 years old and and in good nick I intend to keep it that way dont want rain or dew getting in any where

Don't you ever ride it in the rain mercalia?
If you cover it, have you considered the dreaded condensation?
Have considered covering a bike for security tho usually when freecamping I am well hidden anyway.
Might cover it if I am using the alarm - for the sake of the alarm.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:
mercalia wrote:I use a cheap cycle cover ( ebay) and lock the bike to a tree with a cable ( if there is a tree). My bike is 20 years old and and in good nick I intend to keep it that way dont want rain or dew getting in any where

Don't you ever ride it in the rain mercalia?
If you cover it, have you considered the dreaded condensation?
Have considered covering a bike for security tho usually when freecamping I am well hidden anyway.
Might cover it if I am using the alarm - for the sake of the alarm.

very rarely in the rain ( my days of that type of cycling are over) and if I do I have a cape that covers alot of the bike. I dont know about condensation. the cover only covers the top so air can circulate underneath? I would be more concerned about early morning dew that the cover prevents settling?
1982john

Post by 1982john »

Something like this polycro ground sheet would be a viable solution

https://backpackinglight.dk/tents/tent- ... roundsheet

Though I may want something not see through for extra protection
mxg01

Post by mxg01 »

Thanks everyone, lightweight non-see-through tarp is the way to go then. It will have plenty of other uses too.
1982john

Post by 1982john »

Another option popular with the ultra light community is this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tyvek-Housew ... SwsG9ervXz

or this from the barebones shop

https://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/shop ... =permavent
nsew

Post by nsew »

1982john wrote:Another option popular with the ultra light community is this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tyvek-Housew ... SwsG9ervXz

or this from the barebones shop

https://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/shop ... =permavent

Tyvek Housewrap has a hydrostatic head of 870 which is practically useless in wet conditions (minimum of 1500 HH). Permavent weighs in around the same as cheap tarpaulin. An Aqua Quest 3x2m Guide tarp (5000 HH, 420g) is £59. From my research these are the best quality lightweight tarps for the money.