MIDGE-AGEDDON!

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
mercalia

MIDGE-AGEDDON!

Post by mercalia »

MIDGE-AGEDDON! Horrified camper films from inside his tent after being trapped by swarm of flying critters that thrived over the hot and wet summer

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8647607/Horrified-camper-films-inside-tent-trapped-swarm-midges.html
PaulaT

Re: MIDGE-AGEDDON!

Post by PaulaT »

Many years ago when I was younger and could keep up with the local CTC section there were several riders who were also experienced mountaineers/hill walkers. Their advice was don't go to the highlands in summer! (unless being eaten to death is your thing ;)). I'm sure there are some who would refute that but I can only imagine that such people must have skin like a Rhino.
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

Keep an eye on the whereabouts of the little blighters using this

https://www.smidgeup.com/midge-forecast/
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

mercalia wrote:MIDGE-AGEDDON! Horrified camper films from inside his tent after being trapped by swarm of flying critters that thrived over the hot and wet summer

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8647607/Horrified-camper-films-inside-tent-trapped-swarm-midges.html

Pretty normal on a still evening in many parts of the west of Scotland at this time of year.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

why is it we dont see the same in England esp the south where it gets warm? do they just like Scotish meat?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"A rough rule is that the highland midge is only prevalent in areas that receive over 1250mm of rain each year."
https://www.lifesystems.co.uk/news/45-facts-about-the-highland-midge

(There may be other factors as well.)

Jonathan
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

mercalia wrote:why is it we dont see the same in England esp the south where it gets warm? do they just like Scotish meat?

Interesting point.
Re rainfall, yes, quite a bit up here in Scotlandshire.
But are the little blighters in Wales? Almost as much rain there.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

And it's only the females that bite.
If ever the chaps get a taste for us, we're doomed!
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

While warmth is one factor damp conditions which includes breeding grounds are the main influences on midge population. The east coast of Scotland has no significant midge population as there is a lack of suitable breeding grounds as well as less rain.
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

matt2matt2002 wrote:And it's only the females that bite.
If ever the chaps get a taste for us, we're doomed!

pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Jdsk wrote:"A rough rule is that the highland midge is only prevalent in areas that receive over 1250mm of rain each year."
https://www.lifesystems.co.uk/news/45-facts-about-the-highland-midge

One hilariously inaccurate "factoid" about midges and rain is for purposes of avoidance they don't come out in the rain. That misapprehension has been doing the rounds forever, as far as I can tell, but I've never found any truth in it! Another one that is often said but isn't true is that if you go high you'll leave them behind, but having been lunched upon on various Munro summits I know it's not true.

They don't do wind: anything above a gentle breeze will keep them down. However, for a place as windy as the west coast of Scotland it can be remarkably calm at times! We do get them in the east, but they're a minor annoyance here rather than a scourge because the unit of counting is rarely more than the dekaMidge, rather than the MegaMidge you find in "perfect" west coast conditions...

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Many years ago, whilst fly fishing in the Highlands being eaten alive by midges and cleggs I was told by one of the locals that best defence was a really good malt....... After one had drank a quarter of a bottle one did not care if they were bighting or not :lol:
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pjclinch wrote:Another one that is often said but isn't true is that if you go high you'll leave them behind, but having been lunched upon on various Munro summits I know it's not true.

They don't do wind: anything above a gentle breeze will keep them down.

Yes. I've always concluded that any protective effect of height is via the greater likelihood of wind.

Jonathan