Budget solo cycle-camping tent suitable for very tall folks?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
JakobW

Budget solo cycle-camping tent suitable for very tall folks?

Post by JakobW »

As per the title, really; I'm looking for a tent for some solo overnighters or weekend trips suitable for a 6'5" camper. Looking at specs online, the Wild Country Zephyros 2 and Vango Cairngorm 200 seem like they might fit the bill - any first-hand experience/other recommendations from equally lanky types on here?
honesty

Re: Budget solo cycle-camping tent suitable for very tall folks?

Post by honesty »

not that specific model, but I have a Vango Meteor 300, and the length on it is very good. I'm 5' 11" and theres a good half a foot at least between my feet and then end of the tent. I think the current version of this is the Nova?? Anyway, I'd recommend it over the Cairngorm for internal space, and the fact that the slope of the rear of the tent is less likely to hit your feet...
PH

Post by PH »

Not a specific recommendation, but I found the restricting factor was not the floor space but the taper at the ends. Both the tents you highlight are of the design that's worst for this, I gave up on similar designs as I didn't like the inner flapping so close to me face! I had a similar experience with a pyramid style tent that looked great on paper. IMO a two pole tunnel tent is probably the easiest and lightest way to avoid this and make use of a larger proportion on the floor space. My own preference is for something of a more geodesic design, but you pay a penalty either in weight or cost.
If you have a Go Outdoors near you, they're an excellent place to have a look as they usually have the tents erected. Even if you don't see something you like it'll probably give you a better idea of what you don't.
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

Plus 1 for a very old Vango Hydra 200.

I admit to being only 6'4", but I'm bulky with it and there is oodles (technical term) of room for me and panniers inside, plus a porch for any damp gear or for cooking.

An inner and an outer so rather long-winded to pitch (10 minutes) but well worth it when the wind blows: I'm often the only one still secure and standing in the mornings.

Lots available online, secondhand, from about £20 upwards.

Happy days,
Attachments
Maure de Bretagne 2010 camping sauvage  in a scrapyard.JPG
Feuillebert Everything wet through! 2010.JPG
Esnandes, near La Rochelle, Camping sauvage.JPG
Rohan Camping Municipal  - well pitched 2009.JPG
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

The old incarnation of the Vaude "power lizard" was fairly long. I am just shy of 6 feet and I had loads of room. I think they have altered the spec lately consequently can't comment on the new one, but might be worth a butchers.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

I'm 6'5" and I know the problem. I haven't had a single person tent for a long time but I think the problem can be relieved by getting a wider, perhaps even two man, tent. I am a foetal position sleeper which makes life easier and having the width would allow this. Or if you a flat out type, you can sleep across the diagonal. Two man tents aren't necessarily that much heavier.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

I picked up this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Naturehike-Clo ... 180&sr=1-3
I'm 6,1 and fit fine, but at 6,5, you made need to use the corner to corner method.
There are also quite a few online reviews to help you out.
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I gave up on budget, lightweight tent big enough for me (same height). I got a tarp and bivvy bag instead but that was more for wild camping in the hills. Although I did camp at a site once.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

KTHSullivan wrote:The old incarnation of the Vaude "power lizard" was fairly long. I am just shy of 6 feet and I had loads of room. I think they have altered the spec lately consequently can't comment on the new one, but might be worth a butchers.

At a mere 5'10" / 178cm i don't have specific length issues myself, that said i have a 2 man 2013 Power Lizard ULwith the extra end sticks, 1kg packed and i reckon at least 30cm useable inner length over my height, more corner to corner of course. I also have a 2003 2 man Vaude Taurus, mines a standard which comes in at @1.7kg, end door with good size vestibule and a more airy feel inside, more width for the inner, the footprint is pretty much the same for them both. They can both be erected complete in under 5 minutes and both tents have survived some pretty extreme weather. Not the cheapest but very practical, the latest versions are even better than mine! :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Another 6 5 camper here. My old model of Coleman that was huge inside is no longer available, this seems to be the nearest equivalent coleman cobra 2.

This one only has one entrance, where mine has two, but it looks like it might be long still, 2.57m internal, 3.0m external.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
hamster

Post by hamster »

Depending on what you are wanting in a solo tent, the Jack Wolfskin Gossamer may be worth considering - the inner is 2.25m long. However, it's only just on the tent side of the dividing line with a bivvy bag. It's OK for an overnight kip, not much more. Definitely try before you buy, as it's the sort of tent you have to wriggle into.
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

I'm the same height and considering the same question at the moment. If you don't mind the the coffin/tube style, the Snugpak Ionosphere is another to consider - there's a review somewhere on Youtube by a 6'7" camper who says it's a good size.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

I too am seriously considering buying another lightweight tent to cycle tour with.
My problem isn't so much the inner length as I am only 5'9'' but the inner height so I can sit up without touching the inner roof.
I have looked at so many also considering the weight.
At present my favourite looks to be the Vango Xenon 10. This tunnel tent weighs about 1.6 kg with inner length of 210 cm and height 100cm. Costs from £320 upwards.
Others like Hilleberg are superb but at a price.
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Bicycle touring pro uses this https://www.amazon.com/MSR-Zoid-Two-Per ... 712&sr=8-3 which is 34" at the peak. I would have thought there were plenty of others.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Antbrewer wrote:I too am seriously considering buying another lightweight tent to cycle tour with.
My problem isn't so much the inner length as I am only 5'9'' but the inner height so I can sit up without touching the inner roof.
I have looked at so many also considering the weight.
At present my favourite looks to be the Vango Xenon 10. This tunnel tent weighs about 1.6 kg with inner length of 210 cm and height 100cm. Costs from £320 upwards.
Others like Hilleberg are superb but at a price.

I have a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2, 1.7kg, 219cm long, 104cm high, under £300. I really really like it. It pitches inner-first, but the once or twice I've put it up in the rain, that's not been a problem.