Tent cleaning and winter storage

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
pootler

Re: Tent cleaning and winter storage

Post by pootler »

Just seen this,
I have a Hubba Hubba tent which I took out of the loft last year only to find that the flysheet was sticky inside. I got in contact with Cascade Designs by email. There are cleaning and storage instructions on there. To keep it short store your tent lightly rolled in large bags. My advice is don't store in the loft where the temperature varies so much.
Vorpal

Re: Tent cleaning and winter storage

Post by Vorpal »

I don't normally clean or wash a tent, except to get slug slime or something off it. Then, I just use water, or, more often dew or rain water :lol:

As for storing it, I just make sure it's not dirty; I brush off & shake out anything from my last trip, and hang it over a pile of boxes in our (dry) cellar.

I shake it out again before I pack it up for a trip. I do think that packed in dust could abrade it, so I wouldn't recommend storing it unprotected in a dusty place, nor packing it without shaking it out.

I would think that it would be okay to use a washing machine if one were attempting a renewal with NikWax or something.

The only time I ever put a tent in a washing machine, the coating on the floor/ground cloth was disintegrating and I was thinking of attempting repair, so I wanted to get as much off as possible. In the end, I just bought a second hand tent in better condition.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom