Trangia gas burner v cheap Chinese version

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
pedalsheep

Trangia gas burner v cheap Chinese version

Post by pedalsheep »

Santa bought me a genuine Trangia gas burner (Well I spotted it at a good price in Blacks Black Friday sale). I already have a cheap Chinese version from EBay so I thought I would compare the two.
Weight is virtually identical, the Trangia version is 2g heavier.
Trangia version clicks firmly into place in the lower windshield, if you so desired you could turn it upside down without it dropping out. The Chinese version just sits loosely in the hole.
Trangia version has a bigger control knob with clearer markings and a longer, narrower hose.
Trangia bag is sturdier.
Trangia version unfortunately will not fit inside the 27 kettle. Chinese version just fits although the lid sits a bit proud.
I have not had either long enough to comment on longevity.
Both work fine.
Pay your money, take your choice!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Tangled Metal

Re: Trangia gas burner v cheap Chinese version

Post by Tangled Metal »

My go gas copy was visually identical to Trangia version and performed initially the same. However after time the control stopped fully turning the gas off. It sealed the input pipe enough to put the flame out but actually loosened by itself. You end up with an empty can overnight. The trangia didn't have that.

My trangia burner cost the same as the go gas clone as I bought it cheap and then price matched to reduce further at go outdoors

Btw the mini b trangia is rubbish quality compared to a gallery clone costing less than half the price of the genuine version fully rolled edges compared to incomplete rolled edges that cut fingers too easily is just one defect imho.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Tangled Metal wrote:My go gas copy was visually identical to Trangia version and performed initially the same. However after time the control stopped fully turning the gas off. It sealed the input pipe enough to put the flame out but actually loosened by itself. You end up with an empty can overnight. The trangia didn't have that..

I have the Go thing but have never used - have used meths so far.
I'd always detach a stove from a gas cartridge after use though, so don't think I'd be too affected by your "problem".
Last edited by Sweep on 30 Dec 2020, 11:49am, edited 2 times in total.
Sweep
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Well it's something that wasn't there as new but developed with use. Whether you think that's something to be concerned about is up to you. It's possibly a simple repair but it could be a fault just as easily.

In our case I saw an absolute bargain trangia gas burner going for a steal. Basically Go outdoors were offering them for go gas clone prices and then I found an online price that's cheaper so got that plus extra 10% knocked off. So we got it and have never had any leakage when turned off or loosening of the control knob from off
Last edited by Tangled Metal on 29 Dec 2020, 7:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

lol ... when i told of my success using a Coleman gas burner for my Trangia I was told it would explode and kill me by many on here .... So thats not the case ... :lol:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Playing russian roulette isn,t fatal every time but that doesn't mean its a good idea.

The research scientist Roger caffin *deliberately overheated a cart and reckoned there was no warning of the impending explosion that a person could respond to in time:

He never uses a fully enclosed concertina windshield ( need gap for control knob and air input) and regularly
touch tests that can side causes no ouch response ie to ensure it is 45 degrees C or less (because carts are individually tested to 55). I can't see how you can check the can temperature if it is inside a trangia base?

*hobby -- gas stoves and camping :)
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Navrig

Post by Navrig »

I've still got a Triangia which was bought circa 1978. Still works tho' hasn't been used for a few years now. The seal ring will be persihed I guess.
freiston

Post by freiston »

I've got a Go System gas burner for my Trangia but haven't used it much - I've probably put about 1½ 240g canisters through it. No problems yet. So far I really like it.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

I think it a shame that people use Gas with a Trangia.
I love my Mini Trangia and my full sized version in Hard Anodised.
But in the beginning it was (the stove) designed for Alcohol/meths and it is sad that may use gas.
Seems pointless. Why not simply use pots, pand and a Gas stove? Lighter more compact and not spoiling the Trangia.
I do use Gas, Petrol and Coleman fuel on other stoves, but my Trangias are always on meths!
freiston

Post by freiston »

leftpoole wrote:I think it a shame that people use Gas with a Trangia.
But in the beginning it was (the stove) designed for Alcohol/meths and it is sad that may use gas.
Seems pointless. Why not simply use pots, pand and a Gas stove? Lighter more compact and not spoiling the Trangia.
I do use Gas, Petrol and Coleman fuel on other stoves, but my Trangias are always on meths!

Eh? Not pointless, not sad, not spoiling the Trangia and no shame.
I get to use my lovely Trangia (Duossal) pans and (alu) kettles with the brilliant and efficient windshield which provides a most stable pan support with either gas or meths/bio-ethanol (I use bio-ethanol instead of meths). Both burners/fuel have their pros and their cons - I can choose which one to use whilst maintaining the benefits of the pan/windshield/pan-stand system. I can even take both burners and both fuels and only the one set of pans, windshield and pan-stand if I so wish.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

I thought exactly the same until I acquired the cheap Chinese gas burner and was instantly converted! Its just so much more stable than any other gas stove I've tried and the integral windshield makes it a joy to use. Obviously it's bulkier and heavier than a lightweight gas stove but for more complex cooking or cooking for 2 it's great. I like the quietness of meths but I really don't like the sooty mess it creates and bio ethanol still leaves a brown residue.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

SA_SA_SA wrote:He never uses a fully enclosed concertina windshield ( need gap for control knob and air input) and regularly
touch tests that can side causes no ouch response ie to ensure it is 45 degrees C or less (because carts are individually tested to 55). I can't see how you can check the can temperature if it is inside a trangia base

The Trangia gas burner and clones have the gas canister on the end of a hose outside the Trangia base.
All Trangia bases have had a hole for threading the hose through for some time.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

pedalsheep wrote:

I thought exactly the same until I acquired the cheap Chinese gas burner and was instantly converted! Its just so much more stable than any other gas stove I've tried and the integral windshield makes it a joy to use. Obviously it's bulkier and heavier than a lightweight gas stove but for more complex cooking or cooking for 2 it's great. I like the quietness of meths but I really don't like the sooty mess it creates and bio ethanol still leaves a brown residue.

I like Meths because I feel like I am camping properly. Just like I did when camping wild at age 12 with my school friend. Amazing how when a child we could do this sort of thing. Camping by bicycle miles from home alone. Heavy rod braked bikes over hills and vales.
Strength stamina brave and possibly just a little bit silly. Plus what were our parents thinking?
I have a number of stoves but 99 times out of the 100 I use Trangia Mini!
freiston

Post by freiston »

leftpoole wrote:
pedalsheep wrote:

I like Meths because I feel like I am camping properly. Just like I did when camping wild at age 12 with my school friend. Amazing how when a child we could do this sort of thing. Camping by bicycle miles from home alone. Heavy rod braked bikes over hills and vales.
Strength stamina brave and possibly just a little bit silly. Plus what were our parents thinking?
I have a number of stoves but 99 times out of the 100 I use Trangia Mini!

Then you should be ashamed using a meths burner - it should be gathered firewood and nothing more! I hope you use a blanket sleeping bag and single skin canvas tent with a separate groundsheet :wink:
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

andrew_s wrote:
SA_SA_SA wrote:He never uses a fully enclosed concertina windshield ( need gap for control knob and air input) and regularly
touch tests that can side causes no ouch response ie to ensure it is 45 degrees C or less (because carts are individually tested to 55). I can't see how you can check the can temperature if it is inside a trangia base

The Trangia gas burner and clones have the gas canister on the end of a hose outside the Trangia base.
All Trangia bases have had a hole for threading the hose through for some time.

And for those that are too old, like mine (a 21st birthday present, dating it nicely to '87) and don't have a hole, it's a pretty short and simple job to cut a slot with a hacksaw that the hose will fit through.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...