Trangia gas burner v cheap Chinese version

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
pjclinch

Re: Trangia gas burner v cheap Chinese version

Post by pjclinch »

leftpoole wrote:I like Meths because I feel like I am camping properly. Just like I did when ...

I'd have gone for a traditional brass Primus paraffin pressure stove as being your Proper Old School Lightweight Camping weapon of choice!
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

pjclinch wrote:
leftpoole wrote:I like Meths because I feel like I am camping properly. Just like I did when ...

I'd have gone for a traditional brass Primus paraffin pressure stove as being your Proper Old School Lightweight Camping weapon of choice!

No, those things stink! I remember well the smell on my hands after lighting.....
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

freiston wrote:
leftpoole wrote:
pedalsheep wrote:I thought exactly the same until I acquired the cheap Chinese gas burner and was instantly converted! Its just so much more stable than any other gas stove I've tried and the integral windshield makes it a joy to use. Obviously it's bulkier and heavier than a lightweight gas stove but for more complex cooking or cooking for 2 it's great. I like the quietness of meths but I really don't like the sooty mess it creates and bio ethanol still leaves a brown residue.

I like Meths because I feel like I am camping properly. Just like I did when camping wild at age 12 with my school friend. Amazing how when a child we could do this sort of thing. Camping by bicycle miles from home alone. Heavy rod braked bikes over hills and vales.
Strength stamina brave and possibly just a little bit silly. Plus what were our parents thinking?
I have a number of stoves but 99 times out of the 100 I use Trangia Mini!

Then you should be ashamed using a meths burner - it should be gathered firewood and nothing more! I hope you use a blanket sleeping bag and single skin canvas tent with a separate groundsheet :wink:

I recall the weight of the single skin canvas (white) tent and the heavy ground sheet which the rain ran down during the nights when it rained. I remember the big thick roll slept upon and indeed heavy blankets.
I now use a Down bag, a Thermarest Neolite mat, etc. Oh-a Hilleberg tent. But although I have and do sometimes use multifuel stoves, I will always prefer Trangia with Methylated.... Great comment above!