Camping in England

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
bikepacker

Re: Camping in England

Post by bikepacker »

I was a member for a number of years also a member of ALC. From a purely economic point I calculated that I would have to be using their sites for around 20 nights a year to cover the membership fee. As I use their sites less than that, the economic argument did not stand up, so I let my membership lapse.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

There are independent run sites but I would contact them at least the day before to check.
When the Wimps did LeJoG our biggest problem was finding campsites to take a large group. Some sites could not accept such a large number but where quite amenable to 1 or 2 tents.
I used UKcampsite website to see what sites were in the area and whether they accepted tents and what amenities where available.
https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk

The advantage of C&CC main sites are the amenities offered such as showers, washing facilities, laundry and onsite shop. They usually do go out of their way to accept cyclists tents unless there is obviously no room.
Plus they have a "quiet" rule :)
The small C&CC "certified" sites have to have the basic needs to be listed, so clean water and toilets are a minimum.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

bikepacker wrote:I was a member for a number of years also a member of ALC. From a purely economic point I calculated that I would have to be using their sites for around 20 nights a year to cover the membership fee. As I use their sites less than that, the economic argument did not stand up, so I let my membership lapse.

That's interesting, I had assumed it was necessary to be a member to stay on C&CC sites but having looked at a random example I can see this is not the case for club-owned sites, eg:

Delamont Country Park 20 May 2021 for 2 nights
Member price:£20.20 Non-member price:£34.30 Member Saving:£14.10

Is membership required for the CL sites?

cheers,

Keith
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Traction_man wrote:
bikepacker wrote:I was a member for a number of years also a member of ALC. From a purely economic point I calculated that I would have to be using their sites for around 20 nights a year to cover the membership fee. As I use their sites less than that, the economic argument did not stand up, so I let my membership lapse.

That's interesting, I had assumed it was necessary to be a member to stay on C&CC sites but having looked at a random example I can see this is not the case for club-owned sites, eg:

cheers, Keith

They would like you to think so and some owners will stick to it. Anybody is entitled to use their land for up to 30 nights a year for camping purposes. For the landowner being part of either club easily formalises going over the 30 days for them.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

cycleruk wrote:Plus they have a "quiet" rule

Exactly ten fold which is why we are members.
I have seen people evicted and if members from the club also.
What people get away with on some private sites is an eye opener.

E2E info
horizon

Post by horizon »

Psamathe wrote:
Sweep wrote:
Tigerbiten wrote:
I like the C&CC main sites, known quality at a known price.
With a bit of luck, I've found it's possible to string 3-5 sites together into a route that's roughly going where I want to go before I hit a gap in their main sites.

Can I ask if you are a member?
I know some folk have done some maths and reckon that it's not worth becoming one.

Those folk - is that a "worth" in terms of costs or in terms of access to sites i.e. are there plenty of better sites without "members only" constraints or that you get a discount? I've no real experience UK campsites (hence starting this thread) but it was the "members only" that I thought might be limiting.

Ian

C and CC is an exempt organisation which means it can sponsor small sites to open under its banner without the need for a special licence or planning permission. Unfortunately, not only does it insist that these sites don't (AFAIK) advertise except in C and CC, they demand that the sites close their doors to non-members. So while you might want to get membership for that reason (about £35 I think), you might not want to for the reason of boycotting what is now an over-reaching and self-serving organisation.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Traction_man wrote:

cheers,

Keith

I did only use the sites as a solo cycle camper and paying their backpacker rate.

I mainly use small farm sites now and often have found the Backpackers Club site lists very useful.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

horizon wrote:Unfortunately, not only does it insist that these sites don't (AFAIK) advertise except in C and CC, they demand that the sites close their doors to non-members.

I don’t think any of that has a grain of truth in it.
If you like I can trawl through listings and publications to prove my point. Only last year I stayed on a site which disproves it.
What is needed
All that is needed to become a Certificated Site is: safe access from the public highway, a level and well drained camping area of at least half an acre, safe drinking water and a chemical disposal point with separate water supply as standard. To encourage more visits, many sites add toilet and shower facilities and electric, some have even given members the options of tepees and saunas!

That is at least 1/2 an acre the rest of your ground could be a private licensed site or just run on the 30 day limit. Advertise wherever you want but if you are just a club site why bother if you get enough customers through the club.

There is no need to think membership is £35 I’ve already said it’s £41.

E2E info
horizon

Post by horizon »

Paulatic wrote:
horizon wrote:Unfortunately, not only does it insist that these sites don't (AFAIK) advertise except in C and CC, they demand that the sites close their doors to non-members.

If you like I can trawl through listings and publications to prove my point. Only last year I stayed on a site which disproves it.

This organisation was set up in response to the C and CC's rules:

https://www.freedomcampingclub.org/campsite-startup.asp (the chart further down the page gives the appropriate information).

I too have stayed on sites that are C and CC exempt (without being a member) but that AIUI was on the basis that the rule was ignored by both parties. I don't know how strongly it is enforced. BTW, the last time I looked, location/contact details for sites were not available on the C and CC website for non-members.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
horizon

Post by horizon »

This is the page where the C and CC point out that their certifcated sites are exclusive to members:

https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.c ... mallsites/

(I trust that we haven't misunderstood each other due to terminology etc.)

Bit more here:

If you would like to see full details of this campsite join today to access information on our network of 1,300-member exclusive Certificated Sites and Independent Listed Sites.
Last edited by horizon on 5 Jan 2021, 12:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

horizon wrote:
Paulatic wrote:

This organisation was set up in response to the C and CC's rules:

https://www.freedomcampingclub.org/campsite-startup.asp (the chart further down the page gives the appropriate information).

I too have stayed on sites that are C and CC exempt (without being a member) but that AIUI was on the basis that the rule was ignored by both parties. I don't know how strongly it is enforced. BTW, the last time I looked, location/contact details for sites were not available on the C and CC website for non-members.

I once thought that Freedom Camping Club was he answer for me but almost every site I looked at says "Members of the Coming and Caravanning Club only".

Seems the exact opposite of what they were intending.

I find the C and C Club is trying to take over the world and I resent it.
John
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Another possibility is https://www.nearlywildcamping.org £20 membership is required. They are a recent development and I haven't any experience of them but they do sound like a step in the right direction.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

horizon wrote:the last time I looked, location/contact details for sites were not available on the C and CC website for non-members.

That is true I know they aren’t available until I log in.
I have their site seeker app on my phone AFAIK I’m not logged in...but I’ve just read about the app and I must be to view CS sites. Yes you will not be able to find every site.
That doesn’t mean all of them though I’ve just put "certificated campsites Boroughbridge" into Google and first result is obviously their club site. Second result is a Parkfield CS site. A little further down I chose three acres CS and could find all the info I needed. https://www.campsites.co.uk/search/camp ... cated-site A 15 pitch site so must have a private aspect to it.

E2E info
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

Thanks @paulatic and @bikepacker for your replies--I've stumped up the £41 C&CC membership fee, so I'll look forward to reporting back when we're allowed overnight trips again post #lockdown3 and I've sampled a few sites, they look pretty good to me on the web-site...

all the best,

Keith
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

You will find all the club sites to have excellent facilities and friendly staff. To use them enough to justify the membership cost would be the best outcome.