Camping in England

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Sweep

Re: Camping in England

Post by Sweep »

Traction_man wrote:Thanks @paulatic and @bikepacker for your replies--I've stumped up the £41 C&CC membership fee, so I'll look forward to reporting back when we're allowed overnight trips again post #lockdown3 and I've sampled a few sites, they look pretty good to me on the web-site...

all the best,

Keith

look forward to your report back/log.
Sweep
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Several years ago I bought a copy of the "Cool Camping Guide". I quickly learnt that if I did not frequent any of the sites in the guide I had a better overall camping experience. I found that a significant proportion of the "campers" using the sites recommended by the guide considered it "cool" to party all night.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Astrobike

Post by Astrobike »

Not sure if this has all ready been mentioned but I have been using a site called pitchup.com seems a really good site ? I
have all ready booked 2 sites for late May early June and have only had to pay a deposit of £3 for each site no great
loss should covid prevent any travel
pwa

Post by pwa »

Astrobike wrote:Not sure if this has all ready been mentioned but I have been using a site called pitchup.com seems a really good site ? I
have all ready booked 2 sites for late May early June and have only had to pay a deposit of £3 for each site no great
loss should covid prevent any travel

I anticipate very high demand for camp sites as soon as the weather improves, so getting early bookings in is a very good idea.
oldun

Post by oldun »

Anyone on a cycle tour in East Anglia can willingly pitch their tent for the night in my small garden for free . We are situated about 3 klms from Oulton Broad , near Lowestoft , so if we are on your route and you need somewhere then just contact me .
Maybe other cyclists could do the same thing just to help out the cycling fraternity ?

Stay safe out there .
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

oldun wrote:Anyone on a cycle tour in East Anglia can willingly pitch their tent for the night in my small garden for free . We are situated about 3 klms from Oulton Broad , near Lowestoft , so if we are on your route and you need somewhere then just contact me .
Maybe other cyclists could do the same thing just to help out the cycling fraternity ?

Stay safe out there .

that's incredibly generous of you oldun - may take you up on it as I love your kneck of the woods.

My garden/patch og grass is unfortunately "open plan", no wall - everyone walks straight past,
Sweep
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk
https://www.freedomcampingclub.org
https://www.nearlywildcamping.org

It's a shame, in practical terms, that none of these three appear to have an app, only websites. They are all, especially the first, rather clunky to use on a phone, which is surely how most would access them when on tour.
oldun

Post by oldun »

Sweep wrote:
oldun wrote:Anyone on a cycle tour in East Anglia can willingly pitch their tent for the night in my small garden for free . We are situated about 3 klms from Oulton Broad , near Lowestoft , so if we are on your route and you need somewhere then just contact me .

Stay safe out there .

that's incredibly generous of you oldun - may take you up on it as I love your kneck of the woods.

My garden/patch og grass is unfortunately "open plan", no wall - everyone walks straight past,

Please do take me up on it , as i say the garden is only small but will take a couple of small tents with ease and is "bike "secure .
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Somewhere out there on the web is a website listing pubs that allow forms of over nighting in their grounds. Usual requirement is that you eat/drink there and there may or may not be a cost.My experience of the website was that it catered for camper vans but I bet many a pub has a spare bit of lawn is you ask nicely and eat and drink.
Kapalasa

Post by Kapalasa »

mattsccm wrote:Somewhere out there on the web is a website listing pubs that allow forms of over nighting in their grounds. Usual requirement is that you eat/drink there and there may or may not be a cost.My experience of the website was that it catered for camper vans but I bet many a pub has a spare bit of lawn is you ask nicely and eat and drink.

This would be an excellent app if anyone can get details?

Surprised no one has mentioned Warmshowers. I've camped and stayed at many all over the world. I'm also prepared to host, but it seems not many bicycle tourists have Dewsbury on their bucket list :D
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

mattsccm wrote:Somewhere out there on the web is a website listing pubs that allow forms of over nighting in their grounds. Usual requirement is that you eat/drink there and there may or may not be a cost.My experience of the website was that it catered for camper vans but I bet many a pub has a spare bit of lawn is you ask nicely and eat and drink.

How about this one

https://www.pubcampsites.com/index.htm

Cheers,.
Keith
Kapalasa

Post by Kapalasa »

[/quote]

How about this one

https://www.pubcampsites.com/index.htm

Cheers,.
Keith[/quote]

Thanks Keith. This will be a great asset to me this summer, assuming we are ever free to tour again :roll:
ElaineB

Post by ElaineB »

Some Yha’s allow camping too, cheaper if you are a member and spaces can be limited. I’ve met some great touring cyclists while camping there and you have great facilities.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

ElaineB wrote:Some Yha’s allow camping too, cheaper if you are a member and spaces can be limited. I’ve met some great touring cyclists while camping there and you have great facilities.

Came to say more or less this :)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I don't expect to visit a youth hostel again under any heading but just out of interest:-

IIRC Over recent years there have been reports on here (MickF?) of YHA members having bookings which were cancelled because a school party subsequently booked in and child protection rules meant others couldn't stat at the same time even if there was room. Assuming I've got the general story right, does anybody know how that would affect camping?