Camping in England

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
KTHSullivan

Re: Camping in England

Post by KTHSullivan »

thirdcrank wrote:I don't expect to visit a youth hostel again under any heading but just out of interest:-

IIRC Over recent years there have been reports on here (MickF?) of YHA members having bookings which were cancelled because a school party subsequently booked in and child protection rules meant others couldn't stat at the same time even if there was room. Assuming I've got the general story right, does anybody know how that would affect camping?

Also, If I turned up with a copy of my DBS would it make a difference. Would I be able to stay? Not that I particularly want to stay at a YHA. Just playing Devils advocate.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think the DBS only applies with the organisation that arranged the application. Mine was arranged through whichever bit of Leeds City Council's Education Department deals with this so I presume it would be OK in all their schools but I don't think it would be acceptable elsewhere.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

thirdcrank wrote:I think the DBS only applies with the organisation that arranged the application. Mine was arranged through whichever bit of Leeds City Council's Education Department deals with this so I presume it would be OK in all their schools but I don't think it would be acceptable elsewhere.

Seem to remember that when I changed colleges I had to re-DBS. I also seem to remember that it also had to be renewed periodically.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

DBS definitely applies to the person ‘working’ for an establishment not the individual person. It’s bad planning by YHA I think.
ElaineB

Post by ElaineB »

I did have one experience when a large group of Italian students turned up and it was really noisy! However,I have had mostly successful trips and most people are extremely pleasant. Some popular Yha’s like the New Forest do get very full during school holidays and you do have to put up with footballs bouncing off your tent occasionally! I really enjoy meeting the ramblers and other cyclists and I have spent many an evening chatting and comparing bikes, gear, and routes etc.
I think one can camp when there are school groups in residence if there are outside facilities but it’s best to check before turning up.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

ElaineB wrote:I did have one experience when a large group of Italian students turned up and it was really noisy! However,I have had mostly successful trips and most people are extremely pleasant. Some popular Yha’s like the New Forest do get very full during school holidays and you do have to put up with footballs bouncing off your tent occasionally! I really enjoy meeting the ramblers and other cyclists and I have spent many an evening chatting and comparing bikes, gear, and routes etc.
I think one can camp when there are school groups in residence if there are outside facilities but it’s best to check before turning up.

I don't think that's the point I'm trying to make. Sixty years ago, the YHA handbook used to have the dreaded SJP - School Journey Party - abbreviation on some hostel entries as an alert.

I'm suggesting that more recent concerns about child protection have meant a greater caution over accommodating adults when school groups are there. IIRC, problems arose when such adults bookings were cancelled to accommodate a later group booking. I've a feeling - and I may well be wrong - that members reported arriving at a hostel with a booking being told they could not stay.
ElaineB

Post by ElaineB »

I’m sure with the situation they find themselves in today they will probably open their doors to everyone.
I had some cycling friends who also had their booking cancelled due to a school party.
Perhaps I’m lucky being female but I have been at a yha with students.
Personally I’d prefer not to be with school parties!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I expect that it depends upon the facilities available. Some YHA camping areas have their own facilities, which are unlikely to be affected by any school parties staying in the youth hostel. Others have shared facilities and could be impacted. I think that school parties are less likely to be travelling this year, though?

As for the DBS, I thought that they changed a few years ago so that it is no longer organisation dependent; only role dependent.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

What I'm trying to say is that this thread is about where it's possible to camp in England and in that context youth hostels have been suggested. All I'm querying is the extent to which that can be taken for granted. Safeguarding is important. However, if it may be carried out in away that can ruin the best laid plans, then it's best to be aware.

FWIW, I have my enhanced certificate in my hand. It's dated 27 September 2018 It names the employer as Asquith Primary School and the Registered person / body as Leeds City Council - Business Support Centre. I've no real idea whether I can use it to volunteer at another school: I'd expect them to know what they are required to check. I'm fairly confident it has no other lawful purpose.

As an aside, IMO the whole system is a bureaucrat's invention that achieves very little. I fancy that a feeling that a CRB check may be taken to imply that a certificate holder is somehow incapable of wrongdoing and cause guards to be dropped. But that's nothing to do with finding an available campsite
ElaineB

Post by ElaineB »

I totally understand the need to have security when camping and know if you have booked a camping spot there is every chance it will be available to you. I’m pretty sure individual wardens would find a small patch of grass if you just turned up like the C&CC do, they have a policy not to turn any lone camper away, or so a warden once told me.
I still think camping at a yha is a possibility and shouldn’t be written off.
I also understand the need to protect youngsters. I watched a mother drop two young teenage girls at a yha one evening. The girls set up their small tent and walked into the village to get something to eat. On their return they zipped themselves into their tent and were then lit up by car headlights as a chap sat and watched them undressing. I reported this to the warden who very quickly evicted him. Sadly that was just one idiot among hundreds of great people who stay at youth hostels.
It is called the Youth hostel association and the youngsters are their future, so protecting them must be a priority, most people would agree with that.
I am still a member of the yha and I will still camp with them, when I can. I don’t agree with their policy but I understand In today’s world it is necessary, sadly.