How light can you go?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
glucas

Re: How light can you go?

Post by glucas »

boblo wrote: 19 May 2021, 10:25am There's a lot of water in Scotland. It's unlikely you'll need to carry a days supply. You'll know roughly where your days end which means you'll know when to fill up/replenish for your overnights.

I usually carry a foil bladder from a wine box (4l?) which is very light/compact and only used for overnight water. I get grumpy having to go and get more water before that first cup of tea in the morning...
Thanks for that. I may be able to get away with just carrying one bottle :) It depends on the hills. When I did the Peninne Way tour last year I found myself drinking 3 bottles by lunch time in the early stages because of all the hills!
glucas

Post by glucas »

KTHSullivan wrote: 19 May 2021, 10:29am
The spare batteries covers the head lamp and tent lamp. Not bike lights - they must be charged.
You will probably get away without cycle lights and a headlamp that far North in July, unless you intend cycling in the wee small hours.

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk/lerwick

That aside you may need them on your return to civilisation.

K
Thanks for the heads up. Yes - I always aim to be at the destination campsite/b&b etc by 5pm anyway! So I cannot imagine using them - only for an emergency late night run somewhere for supplies.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

simonineaston wrote: 19 May 2021, 10:13am
You might need more than 2 L capacity.
I was alarmed to read somewhere once that military folks reckon on 4 litres minimum* per 24 hours, to cover the four basics, drinking, cooking, washing and cleaning. In old money, that's not far short of a gallon, ie by definition that volume of water that weighs ten pounds.
* if colder, more needed for extra cooking, if warmer more needed to stay hydrated - lose / lose, as it were.
That doesn't mean you need to carry it all with you though. Cycle tourers don't need to wash their clothes every day and I don't think soldiers on the front line do either.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

FYI my wife and I are off camping on the tandem this weekend which is the first time we've done camping with the tandem and the first time cycle camping in 30 years. Plenty of cycling and camping though. Anyway we did a trial run on Monday, about 30 miles with a few decent hills thrown in. I weighed our gear in the bags and it comes to 24kg. That's a tent, sleeping bags, air mats, thermal reflective mats to go under, stove, pots, cutlery, plates, mugs, clothing, spare footwear, toiletries, lightweight towels, tools and spares. Fitted into 4 panniers and a bar bag with tent on top of rear rack.
Observations: The tandem handled very well and was perfectly stable even at speed downhill. Our average speed for the ride was more or less 10% slower than when we ride unloaded, which was what I was expecting. However I would say that we were taking it steadier than normal. I deliberately took the hills at easier than normal pace and we were pleasantly surprised that we didn't find the hills noticeably harder. On the basis of this I have bought a pair of folding stools (1kg) which will go on the rack with the tent.

Cheers, Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sounds great. Have fun.

Lock and cable?

Our Super Galaxy tandems are stable when fully loaded... unless the stoker gets off. Then they're horrible... I've never understood this...

Jonathan
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Jdsk wrote: 19 May 2021, 2:49pm Sounds great. Have fun.

Lock and cable?

Our Super Galaxy tandems are stable when fully loaded... unless the stoker gets off. Then they're horrible... I've never understood this...

Jonathan
Yes we had the cable lock with us. Also three full water bottles and waterproofs, basically all the stuff we normally carry. Also head torches, a small powerbank and charger, books, what else have I forgotten? :roll:
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

That doesn't mean you need to carry it all with you though.
Bien sûr!
One of the many reasons I so enjoy going to France is in the areas I favour - rural Normandy / Brittany - there are churches and so, mains water taps, as well as camping municipal, everywhere you go :-) I expect its true of all of France.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

iandusud wrote: 19 May 2021, 2:54pmYes we had the cable lock with us. Also three full water bottles and waterproofs, basically all the stuff we normally carry. Also head torches, a small powerbank and charger, books, what else have I forgotten?
Long brake and gear cables for the tandem, but I guess that you've got those already.

Kindles instead of dead tree books?

Jonathan
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Jdsk wrote: 19 May 2021, 3:38pm Long brake and gear cables for the tandem, but I guess that you've got those already.

Kindles instead of dead tree books?

Jonathan
Yes for the cables. Not gone for a Kindle yet. When we first went cycle camping when we were first married we read one book at a time between us. One of us would start it and then tear off the pages we'd read and pass it on!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

And subsequent repurposing... to save even more mass?

: - )

Jonathan
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Jdsk wrote: 19 May 2021, 4:02pm And subsequent repurposing... to save even more mass?

Jonathan
Toilet paper? :D
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Jdsk wrote: 19 May 2021, 4:02pm And subsequent repurposing... to save even more mass?

Jonathan
That's something a Kindle will never be good for!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes. And I'd add a parallel process, rather than serial as used for the original reading.

Jonathan
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

glucas wrote: 19 May 2021, 10:35am
boblo wrote: 19 May 2021, 10:25am There's a lot of water in Scotland. It's unlikely you'll need to carry a days supply. You'll know roughly where your days end which means you'll know when to fill up/replenish for your overnights.

I usually carry a foil bladder from a wine box (4l?) which is very light/compact and only used for overnight water. I get grumpy having to go and get more water before that first cup of tea in the morning...
Thanks for that. I may be able to get away with just carrying one bottle :) It depends on the hills. When I did the Peninne Way tour last year I found myself drinking 3 bottles by lunch time in the early stages because of all the hills!
These days I carry a little Sawyer water filter. They're not expensive and very light weight. As long as you've got enough water to get you over the current hill, you're almost guaranteed a stream at the bottom of the next one.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

PaulaT wrote: 22 May 2021, 10:42pm
glucas wrote: 19 May 2021, 10:35am

These days I carry a little Sawyer water filter. They're not expensive and very light weight. As long as you've got enough water to get you over the current hill, you're almost guaranteed a stream at the bottom of the next one.
I usually find a tap at churchs with graveyards.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.