How light can you go?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
KTHSullivan

How light can you go?

Post by KTHSullivan »

Not a competition
This is my weekend lightweight summer kit. I have discounted tools, spares as we all have different cycles. Food we all have variable tastes. So this is a base list for accommodation and cooking only.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
KTHSullivan

Re: How light can you go?

Post by KTHSullivan »

Not a competition
This is my weekend lightweight summer kit. I have discounted tools, spares as we all have different cycles. Food we all have variable tastes. So this is a base list for accommodation and cooking only.
Vaude Power Lizard 1.5kg
Lightweight Airbed 0.420kg
Kelty 2 season Trail logic Sleeping Bag 0.8kg
Clickstand Stove (Titanium) 0.057kg
Windscreen (Titanium) 0.020kg
Evernew Burner (Titanium) 0.045kg
Trangia 0.3 Bottle 0.095kg
Panset (Titanium) 0.362kg
1/3 Litre Meths 0.265kg
Lighter 0.020kg
Plastic mug 0.04kg
Spork 0.012kg
Wash Kit 0.4kg
4.018kg
Astrobike

Post by Astrobike »

I always carry to much luggage when touring so this year I have gone for a 1 man Helm 1 compact tent this is more due to
pack size than weight, I have all so reduced my panniers to 4 x 12.5 litres hopefully this should reduce the weight I carry
and give the bike a nice balance heaviest paniers on the back of course.
The panniers can not be overloaded due to the way they fasten so if it won't fit in I will not be taking it
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Astrobike wrote:I always carry to much luggage when touring so this year I have gone for a 1 man Helm 1 compact tent this is more due to
pack size than weight, I have all so reduced my panniers to 4 x 12.5 litres hopefully this should reduce the weight I carry
and give the bike a nice balance heaviest paniers on the back of course.
The panniers can not be overloaded due to the way they fasten so if it won't fit in I will not be taking it

The kit above I can get into a "Camper long flap". I usually have a bar bag for the camera/phone/wallet and power pack that I run from a hub dynamo. The caveat being is that going so lightweight one needs to find food supplies at the end of the day.
Astrobike

Post by Astrobike »

Sounds like a good set up , should be able to carry some food just in case , with my 4 small paniers I had to go to bed Hungary
once not risking that again.
Will you be wild camping ? as I take 1 power pack and charge it up at campsites
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I've never bothered to weigh everything, being more interested in luggage reduction than weight reduction per se.
(If checking weights, don't forget to incluse bags & racks)

I can do weekend trips with just a Camper Longflap
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22574&p=182263&hilit=akto#p182263

For several days (4 or 5), I move the sleeping back into a drybag on the front, to allow for extra food, and creature comforts such as a chair.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=57568&p=603428
Image (Bothy, night 1)
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

Change the tent for a Nordisk Telmark 2 LW. Similar price & spec to the Lizard but over 1/2kg lighter.
https://nordisk.co.uk/telemark-2-lw/for ... n/p/73/691
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Okay so here is my equivalent list as used on my last tour to Sweden in 2019 -no tour since! weights are as weighed by me as opposed to published mfr weights. Kit is selected not just on weight but on compactness - all this could go in a single Front Roller bag which would add 597g to the load! :D

Vaude Power Lizard UL 2man 1.1kg
Neo Air 3/4 airbed 0.238kg
Sea to Summit Spark 1 sleeping bag 0.395kg
Soto Windmaster stove 0.078kg
Windscreen integrated in stove
Burner integrated in stove
750ml waterbottle 0.089kg
Sea to Summit Xpot kettle 0.3l 0.186kg
450g gas canister 0.661kg
Lighterintegrated in stove
Sea to Summit Xmug 450ml 0.060kg
Sea to Summit Alpha knife/fork/spoon 0.022kg
Wash Kit inc towel 0.093kg
2,92kg
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

NickWi wrote:Change the tent for a Nordisk Telmark 2 LW. Similar price & spec to the Lizard but over 1/2kg lighter.

Been looking at that one on the interweb, seems outrageously light. There are a few reviews kicking about online. Unfortunately I have a the power lizard already. Main thing mentioned above is packed volume. The lizard does go very small as I understand the Nordisk does, it means I don't have to do a mega-compress on the sleeping bag as constant compression expansion does tend to knacker them.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Reducing weight and bulk is good but there are always compromises to be made with price, durability and comfort - though I recognize the last is not valued by all. Less volume is worthwhile even for same weight because, as Andrew S says, it allows smaller (and therefore lighter) luggage and easier handling (both when riding rough terrain, especially overgrown paths, and when handling the bike over gates, into trains and so on).
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

foxyrider wrote:Okay so here is my equivalent list as used on my last tour to Sweden in 2019 -no tour since! weights are as weighed by me as opposed to published mfr weights. Kit is selected not just on weight but on compactness - all this could go in a single Front Roller bag which would add 597g to the load! :D

Vaude Power Lizard UL 2man 1.1kg
Neo Air 3/4 airbed 0.238kg
Sea to Summit Spark 1 sleeping bag 0.395kg
Soto Windmaster stove 0.078kg
Windscreen integrated in stove
Burner integrated in stove
750ml waterbottle 0.089kg
Sea to Summit Xpot kettle 0.3l 0.186kg
450g gas canister 0.661kg
Lighterintegrated in stove
Sea to Summit Xmug 450ml 0.060kg
Sea to Summit Alpha knife/fork/spoon 0.022kg
Wash Kit inc towel 0.093kg
2,92kg

That is really light, I have an optimus crux somewhere might dig it out and weigh it. I do however tend to shy away from petrol/gas and rely on alcohol stoves; not a lot to go wrong.
Boring_Username

Post by Boring_Username »

KTHSullivan wrote:I do however tend to shy away from petrol/gas and rely on alcohol stoves; not a lot to go wrong.

Plus, if you're desperate, you can always drink the stuff.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Boring_Username wrote:
KTHSullivan wrote:I do however tend to shy away from petrol/gas and rely on alcohol stoves; not a lot to go wrong.

Yes, my reserve bottle when walking has covered both options.

: - )

Jonathan
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Boring_Username wrote:

:lol: :lol:
nsew

Post by nsew »

KTHSullivan wrote:
NickWi wrote:Change the tent for a Nordisk Telmark 2 LW. Similar price & spec to the Lizard but over 1/2kg lighter.

Been looking at that one on the interweb, seems outrageously light. There are a few reviews kicking about online. Unfortunately I have a the power lizard already. Main thing mentioned above is packed volume. The lizard does go very small as I understand the Nordisk does, it means I don't have to do a mega-compress on the sleeping bag as constant compression expansion does tend to knacker them.

It’s a very nice spacious ultralight but as with all the ultralight tents the Telemark obtains the low weight by sacrificing long term durability (always the floor) and a degree of adverse weather performance. Does it use a 9mm pole? The website omits that information. Tent manufacturers would like you to believe they have sourced magic materials but they all have access to the finest materials which come in different weights. Long term durability is relative, the UL’s will ultimately become a disposable on a single long duration journey after a few short months but can easily handle perhaps 20 week-long excursions spread over the course of several years - dependent on user care. Some incorporate fiddly elements that receive great fanfare in their own marketing but in reality get the thumbs down in the field. No one wants to be arsing around with a tent at the end of the day. Some comparisons....

HILLEBERG Enan
Flysheet
20 Denier
5000 mm HH

Inner
10 Denier

Inner Tent Floor
50 Denier
12000 mm HH

NORDISK Telemark
Flysheet
10 Denier
2000mm HH

Inner
15 Denier

Floor
20 Denier
8000mm HH

VAUDE Lizzard
Flysheet:
20 Denier
3000 mm HH

Inner
15 Denier

Floor:
30 Denier
3000mm HH (If that’s correct it’s a massive fail)