How light can you go?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Audax67

Re: How light can you go?

Post by Audax67 »

Can't remember the details or references but a few years back I saw a piece about a bloke who did Europe to the Himalayas on just 8 kg of gear.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I agree: if it aint't broke... Much depends on where you want to use a tent, but if it is in the north european climate, US style inner first tents with a lot of mesh are out (we have one, for going south, and it is great for that, but only for that). For use in our climate, I think the Helsport Superlight series are as light as it comes without sacrificing reliability, but even these will not last half a life time (I have one). They weigh about 2-2.8kg (with the really necessary footprint) for a comfy two person tent. The lightest option would be their Lofoten 3 superlight (wihout porch) at about 2 kg with footprint, and the heaviest and most spacious one would be their Reinsfjell 3 Superlight at 2.8 kg (with footprint). Comparable Hilleberg models would be a bit heavier, and quite a bit more expensive.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

pjclinch wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 9:16am
If you're looking for bigger and lighter than a Spacepacker Plus you'll need to look at a firm going deliberately very light, and that entails other compromises (like very thin, condensation prone floors, rather light zips needing more care, most typically an inner-first pitch). And given how big the porches on a SP are you'll probably lose something there.
Maybe a Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL3, for example, but I'd personally not look to fix something that ain't broke.

Pete.
You confirm my suspicions that going lighter than the Spacepacker Plus for a comparable size would compromise in other areas. As you say if ain't broke don't fix it.

Ian
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Audax67 wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 9:27am Can't remember the details or references but a few years back I saw a piece about a bloke who did Europe to the Himalayas on just 8 kg of gear.
http://ultralightcycling.blogspot.com/

Follow links for packing lists etc for individual tours - e.g "200 Cols tour", 25 days, 3593 km, 58753 m of ascent, 2552g of luggage (including clothing worn), 7357g of bike
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

We will have a trip at the end of May and see how we get on with the Spacepacker Plus after 30 years (I've used it regularly solo in that time). If we find it a bit cramped I'd be sorely tempted to go for one of these Naturehike Opulus 3 tents. Ignore the weight given on Amazon the 3 man version actually weighs in at just under 3kg with poles, pegs and a footprint. TBH the 2 man version looks pretty spacious at 2.3kg but the extra space and headroom and the extra door of the 3 man version I think would merit the extra 700g. I wouldn't rate it as a genuine 4 season tent but it should be up to our late spring to autumn camping.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/iBasingo-Detac ... =UTF8&th=1
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

andrew_s wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 11:14pm
Audax67 wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 9:27am Can't remember the details or references but a few years back I saw a piece about a bloke who did Europe to the Himalayas on just 8 kg of gear.
http://ultralightcycling.blogspot.com/

Follow links for packing lists etc for individual tours - e.g "200 Cols tour", 25 days, 3593 km, 58753 m of ascent, 2552g of luggage (including clothing worn), 7357g of bike
That would be the guy: I remember the miserable expression on his face. ;)
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

horizon wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 10:50am ....AFAIK he is now dead and his company is no more but any confirmation of the latter would be appreciated.
My understanding. A few years ago I was thinking about using my JetPacker but it has a bright orange fly which was not appropriate and I ended-up calling "Saunders" which I think is no more but I ended up speaking to his daughter/granddaughter who said they could do a dark green fly but the cost was too high (compared to a new tent) so I didn't go ahead.

I did use the JetPacker for a short 3 day cycle tour a couple of years ago and it was fine but was only subject to overnight dew (no rain or wind).

Ian
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Psamathe wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 11:24am
horizon wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 10:50am ....AFAIK he is now dead and his company is no more but any confirmation of the latter would be appreciated.
My understanding. A few years ago I was thinking about using my JetPacker but it has a bright orange fly which was not appropriate and I ended-up calling "Saunders" which I think is no more but I ended up speaking to his daughter/granddaughter who said they could do a dark green fly but the cost was too high (compared to a new tent) so I didn't go ahead.

I did use the JetPacker for a short 3 day cycle tour a couple of years ago and it was fine but was only subject to overnight dew (no rain or wind).
The Jetpacker would take a proper beating, especially tail in to the wind, but was a relative faff to pitch in a blow, pulling on to the monopod rear pole. And not the most spacious of interiors, though the layout is one of those that's okay solo but isn't so great for two, even if you make it bigger (i.e., the JetPacker Plus). If there's only one place to sit up properly and only one entrance in to a relatively small porch the design can be a bit hair-shirt two-up in bad weather.

The Trekkertent Stealth 1 is a modern equivalent, if you want to go very light a sloping ridge still makes good sense.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I believe the Trekkertent Stealth designs rely on using a hiking pole for support, so not much good for cyclists (or those who walk without poles).
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 1:33pm I believe the Trekkertent Stealth designs rely on using a hiking pole for support, so not much good for cyclists (or those who walk without poles).
There's quite a few tents on the market that are designed for use with trekking poles, but where a "normal" pole is available as an optional extra. The only real issue with this is you need to factor in the weight of the pole when totting up columns in your gramme-counting spreadsheet as they generally aren't included in the quoted weight of the standard model.

Pete.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

horizon wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 10:50am AFAIK he is now dead and his company is no more but any confirmation of the latter would be appreciated.
The firm was dissolved in 2010, and he died in 2012.

http://www.outdoorinov8.com/robertsaundershistory.html
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Many lightweight tents are expensive, but not all of them. Decathlon's Forclaz Trek 900 Ultralight is 249 euros (and probably something similar in the UK), has enough space for two, and weighs only 2.3 kg excluding footprint. I have seen it in real life, and I would not hesitate to take it anywhere other than the Highlands, parts of Norway etc.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

I once had a telephone conversation with Bob Saunders, really nice. The stitching had come adrift on on a fairly new "Jet packer". He sent me a complete replacement on an over-nighter and sent me some pre-paid labels to return the old one for examination. I later received a hand written note apologising for the inconvenience.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

willem jongman wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 10:07am Many lightweight tents are expensive, but not all of them. Decathlon's Forclaz Trek 900 Ultralight is 249 euros (and probably something similar in the UK), has enough space for two, and weighs only 2.3 kg excluding footprint. I have seen it in real life, and I would not hesitate to take it anywhere other than the Highlands, parts of Norway etc.
2.3kg for a two-person tent is not heavy but it is not particularly light. Come to that, €249 is not particularly cheap either (my Wild Country Hoolie 2 was about £120 – currently listed at £129 on WC's own website – for the same weight. Decathlon's tent might be better in other ways, of course.)
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Lest we get too precious about high-end tents, my tandeming pals went round the Western Isles with a cheap (and light) Eurohike dome, cost about £40. I've posted a pic of our Spacepacker somewhere here, next to us on the same site was a chap doing LEJoG and he was also using a cheap (and light) Eurohike dome and hadn't had any troubles with it.

Speaking as a dreadful gear snob, I think it's worth pointing out that you don't need to listen to dreadful gear snobs to get something that is at least functional and that you can have fun with.

Pete.