Mug/Cup

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Cyclewala

Mug/Cup

Post by Cyclewala »

After this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=139801

I weighed up all the pros and cons and opted for a Trangia.

So, the big question now...is what mug for tea/coffee. I like the space-saving idea of the collapsible rubber mug, but having used someone else's once I was not sold on the smell and feel of the silicon.

I'd like the robustness of a steel mug with foldable handle but there will be dead space in the cup and there are issues around rust down the line.

Is Titanium worth the premium? Does one material have a benefit over the other?

Ideally, I look for durability and easy of ownership. If an item can be multi-use, even better.
Jdsk

Re: Mug/Cup

Post by Jdsk »

We're very happy with our nesting silicone cups and bowls. I'll try and remember what they are.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I take/use a cheap stainless thermal mug a bit like
61N5WqiaFTL._AC_SL1010_.jpg
61N5WqiaFTL._AC_SL1010_.jpg (9.01 KiB) Viewed 1655 times

except mine has a plastic handle (which has lasted fine but does not seem available these days).

Light, solid, cleans easily, only as a mug (i.e. does NOT double to go on stove). Put stuff in it if you are short on space (I'm not that tight on space).

Mine was branded "Eurohike" but reality is there were quite a few "brands" selling identical mugs so made in same place identical and different brands stuck their labels on them.

Ian
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I'd like a plastic bowl and cup where the cup sits neatly inside the bowl. Not two items from different manufacturers but a purpose made thing. Oh and bowl has a lid for microwave cooking. Anyone know?
I am here. Where are you?
Aquila

Post by Aquila »

Don't over think the weight thing, yes get a lightweight camping mug but you can always use the space inside the mug to store your tea or coffee for this reason I use a mug with a lid....I use this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zyliss-Hot-Mug-Cafetiere-Red/dp/B00DB4JY72/ref=asc_df_B00DB4JY72/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=223350365745&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2780193620309866117&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046771&hvtargid=pla-387923288145&psc=1&th=1&psc=1 because i don't care for instant coffee but there are many lightweight camping cups out there.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Our silicone cups and bowls and our nylon cutlery are from Guyot Designs:

Other colours were available when we bought them.

No one has ever commented on taste or smell.

Highly Recommended.

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I have a lovely little insulated steel mug from Mountain Warehouse. It has a carabiner for a handle so can hook on to backpacks/panniers etc. I think it cost £3.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

When we walked the northern section of Kungsleden the coolest solution that we saw was wooden bowls with handles. Carried outside packs and dipped in the river.

Jonathan
TimeTraveller

Post by TimeTraveller »

I use a Sea to sumit delta mug insulated, fits inside my mytistax pot with brew kit inside

https://www.seatosummit.co.uk/products/camp-kitchen/delta-insulated-mug/
Pete... I think
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

TimeTraveller wrote:I use a Sea to sumit delta mug insulated, fits inside my mytistax pot with brew kit inside

https://www.seatosummit.co.uk/products/camp-kitchen/delta-insulated-mug/

I've always been uncertain about non metallic surfaces as I tend to use the instant cappuccino coffee which can dry on the mug is not rinsed immediately and then needs a scourer which would end-up scratching non-metallic surfaces. But that's maybe just because I end-up sometimes needing to use a scourer.

Ian
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote:Our silicone cups and bowls and our nylon cutlery are from Guyot Designs:

Other colours were available when we bought them.

No one has ever commented on taste or smell.

Highly Recommended.

Jonathan

That looks great Jon but would like a lid on the bowl -- my ma used to have plastic cups that were so nice we used them in the house. They were two tone orange and white and the same sort of rounded shape as the green one in your photos but with a handle -- long gone now but I'm sure they would have fitted into one of those plastic bowls for microwaving stuff. Might have been Melamine so may not have been microwavable.
I am here. Where are you?
PH

Post by PH »

I have one of those collapsible silicon cups, not very keen on it for the reasons you give, though it wasn't expensive so no great loss. These days I carry an AeroPress Go, so use the plastic cup that come with it, that's OK. I have a couple of other mugs, a cheap hard plastic one that's fine, and a SS one with folding handles that's probably twenty years old, had a fair bit of use, a couple of dents and is still perfectly serviceable. Neither of them are wasted space, there's always something to pack inside. I also have a set of folding plate, bowl and cup, yes folding! Orikaso, someone gave it to me as a present, it has some novelty value, but I've only travelled with the plate which makes a useful chopping board.
nick12

Post by nick12 »

I'm with oldjohnw the insulated mug with carabiner are great value and can be clipped onto a bag or put something inside it if inside the bag
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

My current 'go to' mug is a S2S folding silicon - never had any taste/smell issues and even with overnight hardened coffee/cocoa it always washes out nicely even with cold water.

Previously i've used Orikaso folding crockery - again no taste/smell issues but does need a bit more cleaning effort and by their nature can feel a bit floppy in use.

And before that i used a plastic mug which was retired for no reason other than its packing footprint (the Orikaso is flat and the folder sits onside my folding kettle!)

Metal cups of any sort have issues - weight & packing the foremost but another potential issue is that Ti seems to hang on to a higher temperature than steel, i have heard reports of burnt lips from several users.

If a cover for use in a microwave is needed - well a) you are in the wrong board! and b) any old piece of card/plastic would serve that purpose :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I used to have a plastic mug. Weighs next to nothing, decent size, but gets tea stained and does impart a very slight plastic taste when new. Besides, people's shiny steel mugs looked so good. So I got myself a stainless steel mug similar to Psamathe's (can't remember the branding!). I didn't find it so good to use. Firstly, it was a bit too small for me. But more importantly, the steel gets hot from the tea and as a result, the mug would burn my lips. So now I've gone back to the larger, non-conducting plastic mug.