Mug/Cup

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
andrew_s

Re: Mug/Cup

Post by andrew_s »

I use an Orikaso mug (comes as part of a set, for not much at all)
It unfolds to flat, so uses very little pannier space, and if used for soup you can just unfold it and lick it clean(ish), ready for the tea.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

foxyrider wrote:
If a cover for use in a microwave is needed - well a) you are in the wrong board! and b) any old piece of card/plastic would serve that purpose :lol:

It helps to have a clip on lid so when I'm going across the campsite to and from the kitchen, to use the microwave for my porridge, I don't spill any or splash the inside of the mw which I'd have to clean for the next camper to use. Also I can keep stuff in there while packed up on bike.
I am here. Where are you?
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

If you are not using the mug to heat the liquid on a stove, then I would get an insulated mug either steel or plastic. The type you find at Starbucks
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I use a cheap and light plastic mug. It is farly large and slightly tapered. Therefore it is the perfect size and shape with an Ortlieb folding coffee filter. I normally boil water the evening before, keep it in a good Thermos flask, and the next morning I have first a large cup of tea and next a large cup of coffee. And all this without having to use the stove. The cup is fairly large, but that does not matter too much as I can store my Lexan wine glass and the Ortlieb filter inside. In fact, I can fit my small plastic bottle with washing up liquid right inside the wine glass.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Cowsham wrote:
foxyrider wrote:
If a cover for use in a microwave is needed - well a) you are in the wrong board! and b) any old piece of card/plastic would serve that purpose :lol:

It helps to have a clip on lid so when I'm going across the campsite to and from the kitchen, to use the microwave for my porridge, I don't spill any or splash the inside of the mw which I'd have to clean for the next camper to use. Also I can keep stuff in there while packed up on bike.

There certainly are campsites with microwaves, so not necessarily the wrong board at all.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Dangling a mug on the outside of your panniers, saddlebag, backpack or whatever, has been mentioned. Sure, it saves space but it's also likely to result in all sorts of road crap - mostly invisible - all over the inside of your mug.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bmblbzzz wrote:So I got myself a stainless steel mug similar to Psamathe's (can't remember the branding!). I didn't find it so good to use. Firstly, it was a bit too small for me. But more importantly, the steel gets hot from the tea and as a result, the mug would burn my lips.

Yes, that rules out metal for me.

Jonathan
Cyclewala

Post by Cyclewala »

willem jongman wrote:I use a cheap and light plastic mug. It is farly large and slightly tapered. Therefore it is the perfect size and shape with an Ortlieb folding coffee filter. I normally boil water the evening before, keep it in a good Thermos flask, and the next morning I have first a large cup of tea and next a large cup of coffee. And all this without having to use the stove. The cup is fairly large, but that does not matter too much as I can store my Lexan wine glass and the Ortlieb filter inside. In fact, I can fit my small plastic bottle with washing up liquid right inside the wine glass.

Can I ask what the rationale is for the overnight storage of hot water? Doing what you do, does it not increase things to carry i.e. flask? Or are you trying to avoid carrying a hot stove in the pannier i.e. it will have cooled overnight?

Not a criticism, just wanting to learn the different approaches.
Cyclewala

Post by Cyclewala »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Dangling a mug on the outside of your panniers, saddlebag, backpack or whatever, has been mentioned. Sure, it saves space but it's also likely to result in all sorts of road crap - mostly invisible - all over the inside of your mug.

Yeah, but it looks cool. And image, is an important factor in some cycling circles.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Having the hot water ready in the morning saves me time: I want to get going early. I don't have to light the stove and let it cool down before I pack. This only works with a good quality Thermos, of course. And yes, the Thermos is not ultralight, but it also gives me a supply of cool water during the day. My other drink bottle is a stainless 1.2 liter Nalgene flask, and that is what I drink from first. Between them they give me about 2 litres of water to drink. On hot days I have to refill during the day, of course. The big Nalgene flask sits in an oversized Velo Orange Mojave bottle holder, and the Thermos in a Bikebuddy.
mei

Post by mei »

I've been using an old pot noodle container as a cup whilst on my travels, worked out pretty good.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Cyclewala wrote:
Can I ask what the rationale is for the overnight storage of hot water? Doing what you do, does it not increase things to carry i.e. flask? Or are you trying to avoid carrying a hot stove in the pannier i.e. it will have cooled overnight?

My hot water bottle :D
I am here. Where are you?
Cyclewala

Post by Cyclewala »

Cowsham wrote:
Cyclewala wrote:

My hot water bottle :D

Actually, that is not a bad idea.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Dangling a mug on the outside of your panniers, saddlebag, backpack or whatever, has been mentioned. Sure, it saves space but it's also likely to result in all sorts of road crap - mostly invisible - all over the inside of your mug.

If that’s the case it hasn’t bothered me in over 60 years. It is easy enough to give it a quick rinse before use. And riding a nearly 20 year old Raleigh kind of negates the idea of image.
John
ossie

Post by ossie »

I have a no named steel mug..lightweight and has never rusted after a decade. Coffee AM and Vino PM when the tent is set up :wink: . Its just about the right size. It looks small but is actually perfect, like the sort of cup size you settle on at home for that perfect cuppa(tea or coffee). I just hate oversized mugs.