Mug/Cup

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
leftpoole

Re: Mug/Cup

Post by leftpoole »

I use a very old Coleman Stainless steel mug. I also have a Titanium mug. The Stainless is my favourite put down simply to personal use preference.
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

Sadly there isn't anything that is as good as a ceramic mug from a thermal capacity/conductivity/mouthfeel POV, so it's a matter of picking your tradeoffs. I'm not normally a huge fan of plastic or silicone mugs, but I've got an ancient Lexan(?) one which doesn't seem to taint hot drinks in the same way; it weighs next to nothing and is pretty much indestructible. For use on a stove or burner, I've got a couple of Ti mugs - you just need to let them cool down a bit before drinking. If I'm taking mugs for a group picnic, I'll also bring a couple of enamel mugs, though they can be prone to chipping if knocked about too much.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

We use cheap plastic mugs. They're, errr, cheap, light, don't burn your lips/hands with boiling liquid in them and if you fill them up with stuff in your luggage (e.g., tea bags, ingredients) they take up little space. I've never seen any point in getting anything "special" for this job, because cheap 'n' cheerful is just as good as anything else IME.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Cyclewala

Post by Cyclewala »

pjclinch wrote:We use cheap plastic mugs. They're, errr, cheap, light, don't burn your lips/hands with boiling liquid in them and if you fill them up with stuff in your luggage (e.g., tea bags, ingredients) they take up little space. I've never seen any point in getting anything "special" for this job, because cheap 'n' cheerful is just as good as anything else IME.

Pete.

I'm liking this suggestion. I think sometimes one can get carried away with buying the right equipment, when all that matters is the experience of the tour. I have several Starbucks type plastic cups from work with lids. They're robust, keep drinks warm and will be useful storage tins until brew time.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

JakobW wrote:I'm not normally a huge fan of plastic or silicone mugs, but I've got an ancient Lexan(?) one which doesn't seem to taint hot drinks in the same way; it weighs next to nothing and is pretty much indestructible.

Lexan is a GE Plastics brand for their polycarbonate resin products.

Nalgene is a Thermo Fisher Scientific brand that includes both polycarbonate and polyethylene containers.

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote:
JakobW wrote:I'm not normally a huge fan of plastic or silicone mugs, but I've got an ancient Lexan(?) one which doesn't seem to taint hot drinks in the same way; it weighs next to nothing and is pretty much indestructible.

Lexan is a GE Plastics brand for their polycarbonate resin products.

Nalgene is a Thermo Fisher Scientific brand that includes both polycarbonate and polyethylene containers.

Jonathan

We use that Fisher Scientific stuff at work ' Hot Plate magnetic stirrers mostly.
I am here. Where are you?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I have a real dislike of mugs that have a narrower base that top. Particularly with taller mugs. Maybe it's my sailing background (larger boats) where you want max stability when the boat heels but even on dry land (e.g. camping) lots of uneven surfaces -> lower stability ...

Probably a bit daft and finicky but it's something that's stuck with my deep seated preferences.

Ian
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

However, it is precisely such a (large) tapering cup that I use with an Ortlieb coffee filter.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I have to admit that I like collaspible mugs. They are light, easy to pack, and easy to wash. I probably never would have bought one, untried, but I got one free some years ago, given away as a PR/marketing item with someone's logo on it. That one is long gone, but has been replaced. I haven't especially noticed an strange tastes or anything, at least in a used one. I make coffee somewhat differently camping that I do at home, so there is a slightly different taste, anyway. I guess I might not notice a slight difference due to the mug, unless it was unpleasant. I do wash them with a good amount of washing up liquid, and rinse with hot water from the kettle before using them the first time.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

I recently (ish) bought a Snow Peak double-walled titanium mug. It was quite expensive - £40 RRP - and although I wouldn't normally splash out that much on a mug, I much prefer it over my old plastic camping mug. It's more pleasant to drink from and because it's double walled it keeps my drink warm on cold days. I even use it at home from time to time, and pre-covid used to take it to my local coffee shop to save a disposable cup going to landfill.

https://snowpeak.co.uk/products/ti-doub ... 4194&_ss=r

The products in this range stack together and next time I feel flush I might get the 450ml version too.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

bohrsatom wrote:I recently (ish) bought a Snow Peak double-walled titanium mug. It was quite expensive - £40 RRP - and although I wouldn't normally splash out that much on a mug, I much prefer it over my old plastic camping mug. It's more pleasant to drink from and because it's double walled it keeps my drink warm on cold days. I even use it at home from time to time, and pre-covid used to take it to my local coffee shop to save a disposable cup going to landfill.

https://snowpeak.co.uk/products/ti-doub ... 4194&_ss=r

The products in this range stack together and next time I feel flush I might get the 450ml version too.

40 quid ! You've been mugged.
I am here. Where are you?
Aquila

Post by Aquila »

40 quid ! You've been mugged.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

I decided to splash out on a titanium "spork" and a titanium mug. I choose a single walled mug thinking I might want to use it as an extra pan sometimes. The "spork" has been great, much better than the plastic one I had from go outdoors that I managed to melt! The mug however I've never really got on with. I find that the outside of it gets very hot, so much so that it is uncomfortable to drink from. I've never used it as a cooking pot either! So for recent trips I've gone back to using a cheap insulated plastic mug (the type with a removable lid), I find that keeps my tea warm for ages while I'm cooking etc. and find it much better to drink from.

Oh and another vote here for a flask. I've carried one on my last few trips and have used it to provide that morning cuppa (which on a chilly scottish morning can be very welcome) for early starts. I also use it a lot to give me either a hot drink or even hot soup for stops during the day, saves getting the stove out and means that roadside stops are shorter. I have a Thermos one that is made of steel and that fits nicely into a standard bottle cage. Often use it for winter day rides as well.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

If you want a cheapo stainless steel mug, often with a lid, try Asian (Indian) shops. They usually sell a wide range of ss stuff. I have bought a few of these mugs over the years and take one when touring (not camping). I use it to make tea in, preferably, but not essentially, having a glass to pour tea into to drink. Also useful to boil water in using one of those electric element water heater things.

NB I don't have a franchise in Asian stainless steel, I just find it cheap, unbreakable, lightweight and useful for travelling.