Best Camping & Caravan Club sites for cycling

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Slowroad

Re: Best Camping & Caravan Club sites for cycling

Post by Slowroad »

As there have been a few more recent comments I thought I'd do an update...
Did a long weekend at Woodhall Spa, which I've been to twice before, and would return again - nice site, interesting area and great cycling. I'd been to St Neots in 2020 on my only short tour that year - would go again, nice site and town and a nice ride from home with an overnight near Husbands Bosworth.
Camping turned out to be less tricky than I thought, and I did manage to do a longer tour this year, 9 nights in North Wales. I booked ahead all nights, but I needn't have done really as it was mostly in September. It was a moving on every day tour, and I am starting to like the idea of a few nights in one place instead... so will refer back to this thread.
Thanks!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
RickH

Post by RickH »

I agree that Clitheroe is a nice site.

North of the border I really liked the Loch Lomond site near Balmaha. It was pretty quiet when I was there but it was late April (2016 & Easter was late March that year). I had a pleasant walk down to Balmaha in the evening & a nice meal at the Oak Tree Inn.
Loch Lomond C&CC Site
Loch Lomond C&CC Site
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Slowroad wrote: 21 Mar 2021, 8:30pm ... I'm thinking that moving on every day may be more tricky than usual so a more static trip may be be needed... as least as far as where the tent is! Where has 3 or 4 days pleasant cycling - not hugely hilly? :D I have some ideas but thought it might be a nice question to ask on here.
Slowroad wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 8:52pm ... Camping turned out to be less tricky than I thought, and I did manage to do a longer tour this year, 9 nights in North Wales. I booked ahead all nights, but I needn't have done really as it was mostly in September. It was a moving on every day tour, and I am starting to like the idea of a few nights in one place instead... so will refer back to this thread.
Thanks!
I am a bit biased, but for anyone looking for a base from which to do day rides I think the Yorkshire Wolds is ideal. There are rail links to the area, the so-called 'heritage coast' to explore and, of course, the best bridge in the world to cycle over :D

Here's a cyclist-friendly place - Field House Campsite, Tibthorpe in East Yorkshire. It opened as a pop-up site - and to be honest I don't know for certain that it will open again next spring - but I would say it's worth checking out nearer the date. It cost £15 a night per pitch this year. We stayed there as a - non-cycling - family with another couple and their kids. I'd go back...

https://www.yorkshirewoldscycleroute.co ... -tibthorpe

Several route options are listed, although there isn't anything out to the coast (or the Humber Bridge!). However, you could just follow the signs for the Way of the Roses route as it passes by the camp's gates. (There was another site I saw on pitchup - even nearer to the pub in Huggate - but it doesn't seem to be listed at the moment.)

Re hills, the area is not 'hugely' hilly, but three climbs from Simon Warren's 'Cycling Climbs of Yorkshire: A Road Cyclist's Guide' - Thrussendale Road (Acklam north), Hanging Grimston and Painsthorpe Lane - are included in just one of the rides. Worth a look...?
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Thanks Keyboardmonkey! I do have the Yorkshire Wolds on my list for next year, along with everywhere else!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Slowroad wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 8:52pm As there have been a few more recent comments I thought I'd do an update...
Did a long weekend at Woodhall Spa, which I've been to twice before, and would return again - nice site, interesting area and great cycling. I'd been to St Neots in 2020 on my only short tour that year - would go again, nice site and town and a nice ride from home with an overnight near Husbands Bosworth.
Camping turned out to be less tricky than I thought, and I did manage to do a longer tour this year, 9 nights in North Wales. I booked ahead all nights, but I needn't have done really as it was mostly in September. It was a moving on every day tour, and I am starting to like the idea of a few nights in one place instead... so will refer back to this thread.
Thanks!
We have also stayed at the Woodhall Spa site in our Campervan. Did a couple of rides from there - the Water Rail Way which starts from Kirkstead Bridge, about a mile down the road from Woodhall. It’s an old railway line and we managed to cycle all the way to the centre of Lincoln and back. It’s mostly tarmac and all off-road, but there a rough section of about a mile near Bardney, this can be avoided by using a section of country lanes (signposted as the Winter Route). The Water Rail Way continues SE from Kirkstead Bridge to Boston, but it’s on quiet lanes rather than off-road (we didn’t do this bit). We also cycled to Horncastle using the Spa Trail, another old railway line. It’s a gravel surface but easily rideable. There’s a cycle themed cafe in Horncastle called “Just One More Bike”.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

We are off to the Moreton in Marsh Caravan and Motorhome Club site tomorrow. It’s just outside the town, off the A44 but only about 10 minutes walk into the town centre. We’ve been there before and it’s a good site for exploring the northern Cotswolds by bike. We have the Goldeneye Cotswolds Cycling Map and there are several routes that start near or pass close to Moreton.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

We are off to the Moreton in Marsh Caravan and Motorhome Club site tomorrow. It’s just outside the town, off the A44 but only about 10 minutes walk into the town centre. We’ve been there before and it’s a good site for exploring the northern Cotswolds by bike. We have the Goldeneye Cotswolds Cycling Map and there are several routes that start near or pass close to Moreton.
Hope you are having/have had a good time! Did you use a caravan or motorhome or are you hardy tent campers? I wasn't aware that they took tents so I just had a look at their website and I'm no clearer!
― Peter Golkin
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Slowroad wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 8:26pm [I wasn't aware that they took tents so I just had a look at their website and I'm no clearer!
They don’t
IMG_0237.jpeg
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
pwa

Post by pwa »

Slowroad wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 8:26pm
Hope you are having/have had a good time! Did you use a caravan or motorhome or are you hardy tent campers? I wasn't aware that they took tents so I just had a look at their website and I'm no clearer!
But the Camping and Caravanning Club has two sites nearby, both accepting tents.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Wyeside in Rhayader is good for some mountain biking in the hills around the Elan Valley, or an overnight stop between Shrewsbury and Aberystwyth
Richard M
Cardiff
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Slowroad wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 8:26pm
Campervan. We didn’t take bikes this time as my wife has been quite ill. Weather was a bit iffy - went to Bourton on the Water and Stow on the Wold on the bus and it was very wet for much of the day. Went to Cirencester and Burford the next day. Cirencester is an interesting old Roman town, I’d never been before. Went to London on the train on the Saturday and Batsford Arboretum on the Sunday before returning home.

No they don’t take tents at this site, though the one at Abbey Wood in SE London does.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I've been looking at staying at C&CC sites over Whitsun - maybe the Norfolk sites. I trust them to be well-run over a busy holiday time, the only time I can get away.
There's been excitement locally about a new club site - not far from me in Nottingham: https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.c ... club-site/ It should be good for cycling in the Notts wolds area without having to trog out and back from the city. Hoping to try it out soon after it opens!
― Peter Golkin