Best Camping & Caravan Club sites for cycling

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Slowroad

Best Camping & Caravan Club sites for cycling

Post by Slowroad »

Bearing in mind the probable situation re the popularity of camping this late spring - early autumn, if one was to think of booking a C&CC site (or certificated location) - which is the best one for cycling? I'm thinking that moving on every day may be more tricky than usual so a more static trip may be be needed... as least as far as where the tent is! Where has 3 or 4 days pleasant cycling - not hugely hilly? :D I have some ideas but thought it might be a nice question to ask on here.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Paulatic

Re: Best Camping & Caravan Club sites for cycling

Post by Paulatic »

England? Haltwhistle or Clitheroe are both, from my experience good sites for cycling from. Yes there are a few hills but you don’t have to do all the hills everyday.

Scotland? Garlieston in the SW provides wonderful quiet roads not too hilly cycling or Rosemarkie on the Moray coast is such a beautiful place I tend not to tell anyone about it. :D Keep it secret.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

ngland? Haltwhistle or Clitheroe are both, from my experience good sites for cycling from. Yes there are a few hills but you don’t have to do all the hills everyday.

Scotland? Garlieston in the SW provides wonderful quiet roads not too hilly cycling or Rosemarkie on the Moray coast is such a beautiful place I tend not to tell anyone about it. :D Keep it secret.

Sounds good. It's too long since I've been 'up north'. If I'm not carrying my camping gear maybe I should be bolder re the hills!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
F70100

Post by F70100 »

I don’t feel qualified to say if they’re “the best” but Polstead (Essex/Suffolk border) and Woodhall Spa (Lincolnshire) both offer good possibilities.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

+1 for Woodhall Spa, some very good not too strenuous cycling, good for day runs from a fixed base.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I'd say it depends on what you're after.
The main c&cc sites have numerous toilets, showers and washing areas as well as maybe even an on-site shop for basics. Busy, noisy (despite the rules) and not very personal. The grounds are usually quite flat and well maintained.
The certificated sites are my favourite. Small, basic but usually very quiet, run by farmers who won't put up with noisy buggers and often have nice views. And I think, safer for your bike and belongings. Cheaper also.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

F70100 wrote:I don’t feel qualified to say if they’re “the best” but Polstead (Essex/Suffolk border) and Woodhall Spa (Lincolnshire) both offer good possibilities.

If you do Polstead, there are some nice routes round Coggeshall & Halstead way, and also over towards the Vale of Dedham (of John Constable fame), up into Suffolk, and over to the coast (Orford, Thorpeness, Dunwich...) TheGoldeneye map for Suffolk has some really nice routes, and the on-road NCN routes in the area are also generally good.

There have been a few previous threads on this area (second has links to earlier threads, as well). The information in these is old, so you would need to check that the cafes or camping sites listed are still in business (the information on camping is not necessarily C&CC). I know of at least a couple of closures.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=133207
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=117061
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Probably not the best location for using as a base but the Poolewe site was very pleasant and welcoming to me a couple of years ago when riding up the West Coast. Up until then I'd either been wild camping or staying at much smaller sites with very basic facilities it was nice to stay a couple of nights and catch up with clothes washing etc. I just turned up and although they were pretty busy had no problem with them finding a space for me and all at the backpacker rate. Nice pub nearby and Inverewe Gardens nearby well worth a visit. I don't think this site actually opened last year though so no idea if they will be open this year.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Last year we stayed at the Sandringham site for a fixed centre tour, we cycled pretty much everyday. You can head out towards the coast on the back lanes, we went over to Wells next the sea. There are plenty of places inland - we did another ride to Fakenham, and also did a route called the Lost villages of Breckland (we have the Goldeneye map of Norfolk Cycle routes, which is great for route planning).

There are plenty of other routes you could do - Castle Acre is a favourite of ours. We’ve also ridden over to the religious centre of Great Walsingham. Swaffham is another ride we have done. We stick to the country lanes and just head in to a town or village for a cafe stop. You could also head south down towards Downham Market.
Last edited by TrevA on 5 Apr 2021, 7:46pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
delilah

Post by delilah »

Have a look at the Malvern Site or West Runton for Norfolk. Loads to go at and pleasant riding
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Thanks! There's definitely an East Anglian theme emerging...
― Peter Golkin
steveparry

Post by steveparry »

Vantage wrote: 24 Mar 2021, 2:36pm I'd say it depends on what you're after.
The main c&cc sites have numerous toilets, showers and washing areas as well as maybe even an on-site shop for basics. Busy, noisy (despite the rules) and not very personal. The grounds are usually quite flat and well maintained.
The certificated sites are my favourite. Small, basic but usually very quiet, run by farmers who won't put up with noisy buggers and often have nice views. And I think, safer for your bike and belongings. Cheaper also.
How do I tell if a site is 'certificated' ? Thanks.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Usually the site will say Certificated site. Which usually allows up to 5 caravans and 10 tents.
If you use the C&CC app then they show as such.
B40F5B53-B372-4287-BFB4-4648E5FFF7F9.jpeg
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

I had a long weekend in Moreton in Dorset a couple of years ago. A bit close to the railway but not too hilly. Thomas Hardy/T E Lawrence country and the Isle of Purbeck is within easy reach. Not the best I'm sure but worth considering if you are in the south of the country.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I like St Neots.
Most of the traffic is going directly N-S on the A1, so lots of quiet lanes to explore in rolling countryside to the E-W.
Plus a good café in the town centre.

Luck ........... :D