Views on/experience of this tent

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
jimlews

Views on/experience of this tent

Post by jimlews »

My ancient Phoenix Phreerunner tent is definitely expiring.

So I'm looking to replace it.

Apart from the horrible colour
Is this any good?

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TEVA1P/za ... cking-tent
Paulatic

Re: Views on/experience of this tent

Post by Paulatic »

Can you sit up in it? I can’t find dimensions.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Like Paulatic said, I wouldn't buy it without knowing its dimensions. That sort of tent can be a bit like a coffin i.e. claustrophobic, and you need to check if the inner will be in your face when lying down. You might be better off looking for something a bit bigger, say a 2 man tunnel tent, assuming that you are using solo and for cycle touring.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Another copy of the Hilleberg Akto layout. They work well provided you aren't the sort of person who likes to spread all their gear out.
As the others said, you need to know the dimensions - 5 cm on or off the inner height makes a lot of difference.

If you liked your Phreerunner, you can get a modern version of the Phreeranger (same as Phreerunner but normal inner/outer rather than single skin goretex)
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

Even the distributor's website does not give dimensions. I say keep looking
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Thanks for all responses.
The 'blurb' for the tent does mention adequate headroom to sit up in. But TBA it's the colour that puts me off it.

"Andrew - s" Thanks for the link. I'll investigate that.
I really love the Freerunner; so easy to put up - just a couple of minutes to set up and I can be inside. But it's no longer waterproof; the seam tapes have come adrift and there's a hole in the groundsheet so time for honourable retirement I think.
PH

Post by PH »

You might say why, apart from the colour, that tent appeals to you?
It's a common enough design, about the weight I'd expect at that price point, from a supplier with a variable customer service reputation.
I don't know the tent at all, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't adequate. Modern materials and cheap manufacturing makes just about any tent usable, the penalty you pay for going cheap is some missing design features and weight! At the same price point, similar design and weight, there's plenty of choice, Vango, Wild Country and Rubens spring to mind, a friend has an older version of this Rubens and really rates it
https://www.outdoorworlddirect.co.uk/ro ... -tent.html
Alpkit are also worth a look, they don't have anything similar, but they do have some I'd prefer.
And to make the point about how cheap you can go, this review of a £60 OEX is worth a look
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw4i0Im59Kw
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

jimlews wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 8:44pm My ancient Phoenix Phreerunner tent is definitely expiring.

So I'm looking to replace it.

Apart from the horrible colour
Is this any good?

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TEVA1P/za ... cking-tent
It's an Akto-a-like so the basic layout is proven, but IME with tents the devil tends to be in the detail, and the detail is best assessed by crawling around in it and pitching it.
Check on the returns policy, but you should be able to order it and set it up as long as you do it either inside or outside on something to keep it clean and use your existing pegs so it remains as new.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

PH wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 10:03am You might say why, apart from the colour, that tent appeals to you?
It appealed to me mainly because of the multiple pitching options. If it had been green I probably would have taken a punt.

I like the look of the Regatta Montegra linked by "Natural Ankling". Mainly because of, well, the price but also the outer first pitching.

I believe there is a company that does Goretex repair. I should probably send my old Freerunner there first. But any renovation is unlikely to come in as low as £75.00

Thanks to everyone for their help.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I only posted the link because I was looking frustratingly for dimensions of the tent that was posted by the OP.
It's a shame and a pity that when you see a tent people selling it don't even realise that you have to give clear weights and measures!

I always look for length, sitting height, weight.
I am happy to increase the weight if the tent ticks the other two boxes.

Describing a tent are spacious showing even some of the technical details of the tent without actually giving the sizes inside seems madness to me.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

I just looked at that link. All dimensions etc including weight are shown,
Regarding colour-red-what is not to like?
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

leftpoole wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 8:01am I just looked at that link. All dimensions etc including weight are shown,
I actually like red for a tent. I originally liked to blend in with the landscape more but got a red bunker tent because I could save £150 on an end-of-stock one if I'd take red, so I took red. And the red outer gives a warm quality to the light which I much prefer on a dreich morning to that in my green tent.
Might sound a bit daft/touchy-feely, but this is actually why Hamish Hamilton originally made Force 10s in bright orange. I'd originally thought it was hi-viz, but subsequent reading has suggested not.

Red on expedition tents is for hi-viz (it stands out best against snow, why polar research ships have red hulls), but it's the psychology of the light I like. As for it being bad to add to visual pollution, here's our large 3 person bright red tent sticking out like a sore thumb (a little to the left of the middle of the pic, just down from the head of the loch).

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
leftpoole wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 8:01am I just looked at that link. All dimensions etc including weight are shown,
I'm not the only one you couldn't find the dimensions and the weight?
Either I'm losing it or they've just popped up maybe both :P
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

pjclinch wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 9:31am
I actually like red for a tent. I originally liked to blend in with the landscape more but got a red bunker tent because I could save £150 on an end-of-stock one if I'd take red, so I took red. And the red outer gives a warm quality to the light which I much prefer on a dreich morning to that in my green tent.
Might sound a bit daft/touchy-feely, but this is actually why Hamish Hamilton originally made Force 10s in bright orange. I'd originally thought it was hi-viz, but subsequent reading has suggested not.

Red on expedition tents is for hi-viz (it stands out best against snow, why polar research ships have red hulls), but it's the psychology of the light I like. As for it being bad to add to visual pollution, here's our large 3 person bright red tent sticking out like a sore thumb (a little to the left of the middle of the pic, just down from the head of the loch).

Pete.
I can't see the tent Pete, do I need to go to specsavers?

Kev
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol: