Trangia - fuel question

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
horizon

Re: Trangia - fuel question

Post by horizon »

glucas wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 2:02pm
it was if people had any thoughts about meths v gas cartridge in terms of weight. I guess it doesn't matter that much as I am looking at 10k+ anyway, with sleeping kit, cooking kit etc.

Graham
I started using a Trangia a couple of years ago after four decades of Camping Gaz. Last year I took the meths version for a UK trip and a gas stove for a French trip. This year I've got a gas burner for the Trangia.

I thought there would be a clear winner, including the issue of weight, but there wasn't.

I would say that for the odd cup of coffee then a gas burner is cleaner, quicker and simpler. For everything else, the meths seemed cheaper and more robust. Incidentally I bought a 5 litre meths container to fill up from at home and that really is cheap!

One aspect (that may have been mentioned) is that IMV the Trangia has huge advantages over a small Camping Gaz stove in terms of windproofing and stability. This makes it look like meths is better, but of course it is the design of the stove. A gas Trangia is probably best of all but weight will creep up.

Which doesn't answer your question at all. :D
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
glucas

Post by glucas »

horizon wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 4:02pm
glucas wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 2:02pm
it was if people had any thoughts about meths v gas cartridge in terms of weight. I guess it doesn't matter that much as I am looking at 10k+ anyway, with sleeping kit, cooking kit etc.

Graham
I started using a Trangia a couple of years ago after four decades of Camping Gaz. Last year I took the meths version for a UK trip and a gas stove for a French trip. This year I've got a gas burner for the Trangia.

I thought there would be a clear winner, including the issue of weight, but there wasn't.

I would say that for the odd cup of coffee then a gas burner is cleaner, quicker and simpler. For everything else, the meths seemed cheaper and more robust. Incidentally I bought a 5 litre meths container to fill up from at home and that really is cheap!

One aspect (that may have been mentioned) is that IMV the Trangia has huge advantages over a small Camping Gaz stove in terms of windproofing and stability. This makes it look like meths is better, but of course it is the design of the stove. A gas Trangia is probably best of all but weight will creep up.

Which doesn't answer your question at all. :D
:D No worries. I think it does answer my question in that it seems it does not matter, as weight wise there doesn't appear to be a clear winner as you say, so I won't be losing any sleep over it! Thanks for the benefit of your experience.
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Personally I have never tried gas stoves so can not compare the two but I think you need to workout what your going to cook eachday how many brews you want to make perday and try it out at home that will tell you how much fuel your going to need for a day and allow extra for temperature and wind conditions. I use about 100/150 ml of meths perday. Depending on what I cook .
glucas

Post by glucas »

nick12 wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 6:54pm Personally I have never tried gas stoves so can not compare the two but I think you need to workout what your going to cook eachday how many brews you want to make perday and try it out at home that will tell you how much fuel your going to need for a day and allow extra for temperature and wind conditions. I use about 100/150 ml of meths perday. Depending on what I cook .
Thanks Nick. So for a long tour do you pack enough meths to last the duration or do you refill en route?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Personally I prefer Meths.
Me too. I used to curse the stuff, when up high and in cold temp.s but have got round that by staying low and warm... ;-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
horizon

Post by horizon »

nick12 wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 6:54pm Personally I have never tried gas stoves so can not compare the two but I think you need to workout what your going to cook eachday how many brews you want to make perday and try it out at home that will tell you how much fuel your going to need for a day and allow extra for temperature and wind conditions. I use about 100/150 ml of meths perday. Depending on what I cook .
I took a 1 litre bottle on my last tour and it lasted 10 days with a couple of days staying with family (tent in their gardens!). That included cooking a very simple meal each night. So I would say a litre per week would be a good rule of thumb (per person). That's about 1 kg to carry but less as each day passes. I wouldn't carry more than that except maybe an extra little bottle just in case .... :wink: :)
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
drossall

Post by drossall »

iandusud wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 3:28pmThat's one of the best things about a Primus stove. :D
+1
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

horizon wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 8:28pmSo I would say a litre per week would be a good rule of thumb (per person). That's about 1 kg to carry but less as each day passes. I wouldn't carry more than that except maybe an extra little bottle just in case ....
I'm not sure if you're saying the same thing, but with careful selection the reserve bottle of fuel can also be suitable for human consumption...

: - )

Jonathan
horizon

Post by horizon »

Jdsk wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 10:14pm
horizon wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 8:28pmSo I would say a litre per week would be a good rule of thumb (per person). That's about 1 kg to carry but less as each day passes. I wouldn't carry more than that except maybe an extra little bottle just in case ....
I'm not sure if you're saying the same thing, but with careful selection the reserve bottle of fuel can also be suitable for human consumption...

Jonathan
I wasn't really but when I read it back the same thought occurred so I left it in :wink: . Having said that, it might indeed have other more innocuous uses.

I alluded to the second bottle because of the fear of running out which would inevitably occur late at night in the pouring rain after a long ride on a Sunday with all shops closed, desperate for a cup of tea on an empty campsite. It wouldn't happen to me of course as I would also have taken my Bleuet stove and spare cannister. :lol: :lol:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jonathan
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

KTHSullivan wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 11:41am

Personally I prefer Meths. First thing out of the pannier/backpack at camp is the stove, brew on, then the tent etc goes up.

Obviously other preferences are available.
My first choice always!
drossall

Post by drossall »

KTHSullivan wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 11:41amPersonally I prefer Meths. First thing out of the pannier/backpack at camp is the stove, brew on, then the tent etc goes up.
I had to read that twice, as I've always taken great care to prevent the tent going up when I light the stove. :lol:
glucas

Post by glucas »

drossall wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 12:43pm
KTHSullivan wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 11:41amPersonally I prefer Meths. First thing out of the pannier/backpack at camp is the stove, brew on, then the tent etc goes up.
I had to read that twice, as I've always taken great care to prevent the tent going up when I light the stove. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
horizon

Post by horizon »

Which brings us neatly to the question, "Which would you rather use inside your tent: a meths Trangia, a gas Trangia or another gas stove?".
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

horizon wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 1:38pm
Which brings us neatly to the question, "Which would you rather use inside your tent: a meths Trangia, a gas Trangia or another gas stove?".
A gas Trangia for me.

I do know people who use pressure stoves a lot who I'd trust to prime and use one in a tent... but I don't use them often and am not one of those people.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...