The Backpackers Club?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Steve X

The Backpackers Club?

Post by Steve X »

This year our cycle touring will probably be limited to the UK, and finding campsites may or may not be an issue. We do not like to book in advance as one of the joys of cycle touring is Flexibility, we might do 20 mile or 60miles(unlikely) and having to book in advance kind of negates this.

We are members of the CC&C club and will use any campsite or wild camp, but are scaredy cats, so the wild camping does make us a tad nervous.

Something I have come across is this http://www.backpackersclub.co.uk , have any CTC mrs used them, it seems like a useful idea and could give more options for camping in these uncertain times.
bikepacker

Re: The Backpackers Club?

Post by bikepacker »

I was a member for a number of years but haven't renewed in the last few years. It is a good club their AGM weekends were well attended and organised usually having two nights camping plus a meal after the AGM.

There are two campsite lists available for members. Sites were in Word format, covering both Farm Pitches listed by County and secondly Long-Distance Path campsites.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

I was a Member for over 15 years. No more. It is based on older people with older ideas and equipment. I am now old myself, but modern in mind and deed including types of equipment....
The 'Club' is for people of very like minds. Not me. It caters mostly for Wild Camping and walking long distance paths etc.
I found the cycling side of things pretty dire.
Main concentration is for the North in particular Scotland and Yorkshire dales.
Cheap fees and a 4 times per annum magazine (very small)
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I was a member for many years. Wild camping up here is easy for walkers as you can get right into the hills. Much more difficult on the bike.
John
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

Thank you for the replies, it was the Farm pitches list that interested me.

I suppose I am guilty of doing what many people do, which is not really being interested in "the club" as a club, but just what's in it for me, but this is a problem many clubs have.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

leftpoole wrote: 2 May 2021, 11:48am I was a Member for over 15 years. No more. It is based on older people with older ideas and equipment. I am now old myself, but modern in mind and deed including types of equipment....
Am confused leftpoole - why would the age of the other members and whatever they chose to camp in/with be an issue/cramp anyone's style? I thought it was a club to find sites that might not otherwise be available, camping on their own trips, not as part of a club trip.
I have considered it, especially these days as I don't like crowded campsites and I reckon they will be particularly crowded this year.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I'd be interested in how many pitch places are available, what sort of prices they may be, whether they tend to have basic facilities. Toilets and access to showers?
Sweep
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Sweep wrote: 3 May 2021, 10:05am
leftpoole wrote: 2 May 2021, 11:48am I was a Member for over 15 years. No more. It is based on older people with older ideas and equipment. I am now old myself, but modern in mind and deed including types of equipment....
Am confused leftpoole - why would the age of the other members and whatever they chose to camp in/with be an issue/cramp anyone's style? I thought it was a club to find sites that might not otherwise be available, camping on their own trips, not as part of a club trip.
I have considered it, especially these days as I don't like crowded campsites and I reckon they will be particularly crowded this year.
Well, in answer. I was in the Club for Farm pitches only. Magazine too.
The magazine for the first couple of years was interesting. After that not much use really.
The Farm pitch lists vary Year to Year and are hit and miss.
Older much more ingrained in the Club-rule-the roost. Mention a new Hilleberg or such plus a Titanium stove and it is ignored in the main by others. (Unlike bicycle riders!)
All (most) get togethers are in the North. attended by hard and fast walkers. Cyclists get a mention from time to time.
The Club is worth joining to get those Farm pitch lists and magazine. But 12 months membership is all that is required. £20 I believe.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Sweep wrote: 3 May 2021, 10:17am I'd be interested in how many pitch places are available, what sort of prices they may be, whether they tend to have basic facilities. Toilets and access to showers?
A fair few mostly Northern with some South areas. Facilities usually a Toilet (or bucket),,,,, Remember these are Farm yard types.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

leftpoole wrote: 3 May 2021, 12:04pm

Older much more ingrained in the Club-rule-the roost. Mention a new Hilleberg or such plus a Titanium stove and it is ignored in the main by others. (Unlike bicycle riders!)
All (most) get togethers are in the North. attended by hard and fast walkers. Cyclists get a mention from time to time.
Obviously you have never been to their AGM or one of the larger meets. If you had you would have seen Hilleberg Aktos in abundance and many using titanium stoves. I would say at the Bath Racecourse AGM there were at least 15 cycle campers in addition to the walking backpackers.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

bikepacker wrote: 3 May 2021, 12:17pm
leftpoole wrote: 3 May 2021, 12:04pm

Obviously you have never been to their AGM or one of the larger meets. If you had you would have seen Hilleberg Aktos in abundance and many using titanium stoves. I would say at the Bath Racecourse AGM there were at least 15 cycle campers in addition to the walking backpackers.
Indeed I am aware of the prolific use of Akto tents recommended by Chris Townsend. But other than that the Members I have actually met whilst camping have been very much in the 'fuddy duddy range'. I hope this does not include you!
I have not been to an AGM because it is always too far for me to travel.
I did attend Bath for a half a day.
I am really trying to express myself as a former member (left this year actually) that has found in my own experience that the Club is not worth the bother. Others obviously have differing opinions.
Thank you for your input.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I used to find a lot of very competitive gear snobs.

A bit like cycling? :-)
John
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Don't know this club, but as a general comment, there's clearly a difference between joining a club for the sake of the club (members, joint activities, ethos and purpose and so on), and joining it for a pitch list or a gear discount or similar.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Indeed it is certainly worth joining for a 12 month period. Get a little magazine and a list of Farm pitches and Long distance paths.
nsew

Post by nsew »

Steve X wrote: 2 May 2021, 10:19am We are members of the CC&C club and will use any campsite or wild camp, but are scaredy cats, so the wild camping does make us a tad nervous.
Hi Steve,
Don’t be scared of bad people robbing, torturing and leaving you for dead in the night. Incidentally, what colour is your tent?